Coral Beauty Question

Rep. Day

Well...now I can say I have had my first loss, sigh.

Question, yesterday my Coral Beauty seemed fine, doing what it always did, picking at the LR like crazy and swimming about.

This morning, it was dead. Water levels are all good, any ideas of what could have happened?

Dave

lcstorc

Sorry for the loss.
How long had she been in the tank?
Could have been cyanide poisoning but usually they become listless first with that.
If your params are good I have no other ideas.
Sorry.

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
Well...now I can say I have had my first loss, sigh.

Question, yesterday my Coral Beauty seemed fine, doing what it always did, picking at the LR like crazy and swimming about.

This morning, it was dead. Water levels are all good, any ideas of what could have happened?

Dave

Dave, I'm sorry to hear of your loss, it's always hard to understand why fish just up and die. This is always hard to answer because it could be a multitude of things. Again, sorry for the loss of your little buddy!

Rep. Day

She had been in the tank about a month, probably a little longer. I know with freshwater, like you said, sometimes they just up and die. I didn't know if there was something specific I should have been watching for with this fish or not. Sounds like just one of those things.

Thanks,
Dave

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Sorry to hear about that Dave. My heart goes out to you. It doesn't really get any better after the first one. We develope a very special bond to each of our wet pets.

One thing I have learned over years of having wet-pets is that what may have seemed normal initially could have held some clues. Once you see things happen here and there you'll learn to pick up subtle signs of stress and problems. Did you notice any "gasping" or tendencies to stay near the top of the water? Sometimes this action can go unrecognized but can be an indication to some issues. I'm not saying that's what happened but sometimes it's small things that we over look that can signal a problem.

Good luck and hang in there. Unfortunately this is all part of the circle of life.

Sincerely,
Allen :)

Rep. Day

well, since I had such good luck, I ordered over the weekend a AURIGA BUTTERFLYFISH, but since I lost the Coral Beauty, I am now worried. The Butterflyfish is coming, I have no control over that at this point. My water is testing fine, is there anything I need to be watching for?

Thanks for all of your help.

Dave

P.S. I use mail order because of a lack of LFS, there are almost none and I have had a great experience with this one in the past.

Melanie

To save you some anxiety, you might consider starting a QT. I have a small 10 gal. that I keep new fish in for a min. of 2 weeks, more if they don't look healthy and eat well.

lcstorc

Best of luck with the new fish. If your parameters are in line then you are doing what you can.

Rep. Day

Melaine,

I will probably start that soon....actually, very soon. However, this fish is already ordered, so if anyone has some advice, I would appreciate it.

Yea, now I am learning...and I am going to do a QT. Even slow folks learn....lol.

Thanks,
Dave

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
Dave this is a beautiful fish. I take it you are aware of its eating habits. They tend to eat invertebrates that we try to keep in the aquarium. Such as feather duster worms, coral polyps etc. They will also eat aiptsia, so if you have any of these pests, this butterfly is a good one. You may not be very successful with corals though. You should supplement its diet with Nori and frozen meaty foods.

Rep. Day

I have no corals, not that good yet. I was planning on suppleminting its diet with with frozen meaty foods.

Is there anything else I need to be aware of.

You know, I don't mind loosing the money as much as I do the beautiful fish. That is what saddened me about the Coral Beauty, what a wonderful fish and I loved watching it. Just don't want to make a habbit of it.

Thanks again to everyone.

Dave

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
I hear ya! It's never about the money. It's always disheartening to lose a life, even if it is a fish. Your tank is still new, give it some time. Some fish deaths are outside of our control. Remember, their are collectors, handlers and distributors that all manage these specimens before they get to us.

Reef tanks are like fine wines, they mellow and get better with age! The time will come when your tanks systems all harmonize and your tank will be spectacular.

DrHank

Dave, the key is getting it to eat. Everything else comes later. Have a variety of meaty foods (frozen is usually the best. I keep krill, mysis shrimp, and Ocean plankton cubes in the freezer. You may also want to get some brine shrimp and brine shrimp eggs (so you can hatch live food if you need to). These fish pick at the rocks in their natural environment, primarily for invertebrates, but also for vegetation. You may also want to have some Nori and a clip on hand.

Good luck!

Rep. Day

Thanks Doc....you know, I need all the luck I can get! I have always said, I would take being lucky rather than being good anytime.

Thanks again,
Dave