Banded Shrimp/Damsel Question

Rep. Day

OK....if this sounds crazy I am sorry.....but...I was watching my tank just a few moments ago and noticed one of my yellow tailed damsels staying very still near my coral banded shrimp. Then, the shrimp appeared to be touching the fishes side, possibly picking something.

Anyone know what is up? The fish wasn't hurt at all, nor was the shrimp.

Is this common?

Thanks,
Dave

goldenmean

I didnt realize that a banded shrimp would do that but the scarlet skunk cleaner shrimp will clean fish (if the fish let them). The cleaner shimp may set up a station and the fish in the tank come in for regular cleanings.

My shrimp wants to do it but my clowns do not let him.
I have seen them come close but then the clowns take off.
My shrimp loves to clean my arm hairs or under my fingernails when my hand is in the tank

michael_cb_125

Im not shure if the Coral banded shrimp is a "Cleaner Shrimp" or not but it may have been picking something off of your Damsel. I have a Coral Banded as well, and he will touch my fish occasionally. Its nothing to worry about.

kyle1284

he is cleaning all the dead scales and cleaning him of any pests... its fun to watch... but no worries! Just cleaning like he should but the skunk is sposto do that? maybe he is just confused as to what he is supposto clean? HA