Filter Question

Rep. Day

I have a 55 gal. saltwater, not very old at all. Currently I have a Aqua-Tech 30-60 filter. I am wanting to go to a canister filter, am told they are better. If you were going to buy a new filter, what would you get?

Thanks for any help.

Dave

lcstorc

Wow I can't believe I found the thread I was looking for.
I did used to run a Flubal 405 and my LFS swears by it. I found it to be a nitrate factory and now only use it empty to push water through my UV.

But I did find this thread where BOOMER made a recomendation. The topic was actually carbon but he talks about the way the water flows through the filters and for that reason I would go with the one he recommended.
Here's the text and the link for more reading.

My method of choice is only one. A powered canister filter and only a Eheim. It has what I will call a "positive flow" filter. Meaning, water only enters in from the bottom and must go out only from the top. Many of the newer types the water enters and leaves from the top. These types often have "self-propagated" by-passes. If the media gets plugged the water just passes around it , often with little flow lose ( i.e.. Hagen Fluval). In the Eheim the flow will slow down and maybe even come to a complete stop, if left unattended, as water is forced to go through the media. It does not have these channeled "side-walls" like others, where water runs down the channeled side-walls to the bottom and the up through the media to the top of exit or vise-versa. You could also make your own canister with PVC and jsut get a small pump.

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/polls/9262-active-carbon-2.html

mps9506

I would save the money you use towards a canister and get a quality protein skimmer like an aquaC. I think it would be more beneficial than any other filter for you. If you need to run carbon you can always throw the hang on back on temporarily and put carbon bags in it.

DrHank

I agree with Mike. Your primary biological filter is your live rock. You can use the filter you have to run carbon. I'd put the money toward a better skimmer. The Aqua C Remora has always been a great HOB skimmer. Also, I see that Octopus has recently gotten into HOB styles. My guess would be that they would be pretty good as long as they are using the same needle wheel technology as their NW series skimmers.

Your skimmer is key in removing organic compounds from the tank before they turn to ammonia. That's why they have become so popular. They let you avoid ammonia problems to begin with.

HowardW

I have a 55 gal. saltwater, not very old at all. Currently I have a Aqua-Tech 30-60 filter. I am wanting to go to a canister filter, am told they are better. If you were going to buy a new filter, what would you get?

Thanks for any help.

Dave

If I was going with a canister I would get an Eheim that uses top/bottom flow and no bypassing of media and run a top quality carbon like Seachem Matrix or better yet the ROX 0.8. I agree I would put the filter money towards a good skimmer, however the Aqua C Remora is only a below average to mediocre skimmer at best. Your best choices for a HOB skimmer would be an Octopus, the Deltec, or the Rogue Wave from Bermuda. Keep in mind that all HOB skimmers are pretty deficient looking at specs and airflow, but those are the better ones.

lcstorc

I totally agree that a skimmer is way more important. I was in a hurry and forgot to say it.
If you want a HOB skimmer I would go with the Aqua C Remora Pro. It handles more water than the regular Aqua c. I am sure oth Octopus would be good as well since their in sump units are so good.
Do you need this to be a HOB skimmer or is a sump an option?
I have the Remora on my small tank that doesn't have a sump and it is great but my ASM G 4+ in sump skimmer is simply awesome. Since you have much less water volume you could go with a smaller version like the G2. Remember when buying a skimmer always get one rated for double the water volume you have. Almost all manufacturers overrate their skimmers.