Search results

1. Snid

Whoa! Has anyone heard of this before? How have I missed this?!?!

I now have a reason to visit Berlin! Das ist sehr gut! Radisson Blu Hotels - Scuba Diving in Berlin
  2. Snid

Algae Blooms : Toledo, Ohio Water Contaminated

This is happening right now in the Northwestern part of my State. Very interesting what Algae can do... And you thought your GHA was bad! Huffington Post - Toledo Water Contamination
  3. Snid

Anyone know what a Pink Branching Sinus Aria is?

I found someone wanting to sell me a frag of it, but I have no clue what it is. Therefore I have no clue if I want it or what its needs might be. Any help here would be great, as I can't find anything in all my searches.
  4. Snid

Tank Upgrading... With a catch. Hmmm....

So I have a 55 gallon tank which is only 4 months in. I'm in no rush to upgrade, mind you, but it occurred to me that sometimes on Craigslist there are offers that are just too good to refuse. I almost saw one today for a 115 gallon tank. Anyways... I generally get the idea of what needs...
  5. Snid

Emerald Crab Legs Fell Off...

Ok... This one baffles me a little bit. One day I discovered one of my Emerald Crabs lost two legs. My first guess was that they got pinched between two rocks and got yanked off this way. That being said, I gave my Chalk Bass the stink eye and wagged my finger at him just in case. He just...
  6. Snid

Looking to Travel to the Gulf Coast in December...

So my wife and I are trying to plan for a vey low budget beach getaway this December. We live in Ohio, so we are planning on flying. problem is, we aren't sure where to go exactly. We've been looking at places like St. Petersburg, Tampa, Naples, Corpis Christi, Porto Rico, Dominican...
  7. Snid

I love my Green Hair Algae, and you should too!!!

No. I'm being serious!!! I love my Green Hair Algae! I have a fairly new tank that is just over 3 months in. After about a month in, I have had Green Hair Algae (GHA) growing abundantly all over. I've had people try and convince me to get an excessively large Clean-Up Crew (CUC) that...
  8. Snid

GHA only in the DT, not the Refugium?

I'm slightly confused by the fact that in my Refugium I have Chaeto growing quite well, and the light is on for longer time periods down there than in my DT. Granted, it is not as efficient of a light source as my DT, but it must be doing okay as Coraline Algae is also growing on the Live Rock...
  9. Snid

Reconfiguring my Live Rock...

Ok, so my tank is 3 months old now, doing well, and I have 3 fish (2 Clowns/1 Chalk Bass) and a modest CUC of various species, including a Sea Urchin. I have a few Zoas not yet attached anywhere really (a little early, I know, but they were given to me for free). I have been thinking about...
  10. Snid

Hmmm... Can you do too many/much water changes?

I'm not at risk of this even being possible for me, but I am curious. I do weekly water changes of about 10%, so I'm confident that I am A.O.K. But I did begin to wonder... Can you change it too frequently or too much at a time? You always hear about the tanks that don't get it often enough...
  11. Snid

Has anyone ever tried using an Endoscope?

I was wondering if anyone has tried using an Endoscope in their aquarium for picture taking? I just stumbled across one on the internet that was very affordable that plugs into a computer via a USB port that was waterproof. Not sure how good its quality is, and thought I'd probe (get it?) for...
  12. Snid

Best Books to Get?

Ok, so as I continue with my research on Corals, I'd like some references that are beyond the Internet. Does anyone have any books that are packed full of information, pictures, etc. that a newbie with corals like me could read and also refer to regularly that I could buy? For those younger...
  13. Snid

Quiet Pumps & Phosban Reactors

Hello everyone... First, I am wanting to change my return refugium pump and my skimmer pump w/ venturi to something a little more quiet. Right now my return pump is 600 gph, and the skimmer is 200 gph, it can be more I believe. The return has a ball valve on it that is cutting back some...
  14. Snid

GHA having too much fun

Ok, so last week I got my first CUC for my new tank. 1 Mexican Turbo Snail, 2 Nerite Snails, 2 Nassarius Snails, and 1 Emerald Crab. Since then I have also discovered 3 baby Cerith Snails roaming around my LR (They are super tiny). All of them are doing great and the water parameters have...
  15. Snid

True Facts About The Mantis Shrimp...

I'm not sure if any of you have already shared/seen this video or not, but I found it a while back and still go back and watch it from time to time because it is so funny and educational at the same time. Watch it all the way to the very end for a funny clip with one living in an aquarium...
  16. Snid

Best Test Kit?

Looking to add corals to my new tank in the near future and I am planning and prepping now. What is the best kit for testing everything? I'm planning on starting with soft corals until I am more experienced and the tank is well established before trying my hand at hard ones.
  17. Snid

Can My Cycle Be Ending Already? Time for a CUC? Phytoplankton?

So here are my test results for the month... 4/3 pH = 8.2 Ammonia = .50 ppm NO2 = 0 NO3 = 0 4/6 pH = 8.0 Amm = .50 NO2 = .25 NO3 = 0 4/10 pH = 8.2 Amm = 3.0 NO2 = .50 NO3 = 0 4/13 pH = 8.2 Amm = 3.0 NO2 = .50 NO3 = 0 4/15 pH = 8.2 Amm = 4.0 NO2 = 0 NO3 = 0...
  18. Snid

Snid's 55 Gallon Chunk O' Ocean Reef

Captain's Log: April 1st, 2014 The crew and I had been in freshwater for far too long. We longed for some fresh ocean air, the salty water, and the great mysteries that lied within. We parted ways with the freshwater life and prepped for some newly discovered sea water by thoroughly...
  19. Snid

Algae Questions...

So I am starting a new reef tank (55 gallons with refugium). I am still cycling, as I just started it this month. The ammonia is starting to spike thanks to the 70 lbs. of LR and a DSB. Diatoms are growing, so the "uglies" are in full swing. Waiting for the Nitrite spike. No stock added...
  20. Snid

Salutations!

My name is Snid, well not really, but that is what I go by. I live in Ohio, USA. I had a salt water tank many years ago with a decent amount of success and have decided to try again now that I am pretty sure I'm in a stable home for a while. I have a new reef aquarium starting up. 55...