Can My Cycle Be Ending Already? Time for a CUC? Phytoplankton?

Snid

So here are my test results for the month...

4/3
pH = 8.2
Ammonia = .50 ppm
NO2 = 0
NO3 = 0

4/6
pH = 8.0
Amm = .50
NO2 = .25
NO3 = 0

4/10
pH = 8.2
Amm = 3.0
NO2 = .50
NO3 = 0

4/13
pH = 8.2
Amm = 3.0
NO2 = .50
NO3 = 0

4/15
pH = 8.2
Amm = 4.0
NO2 = 0
NO3 = 0

4/17
pH = 8.2
Amm = 4.0
NO2 = .25
NO3 = 0

4/19
pH = 8.2
Amm = 1.0
NO2 = 1.0
NO3 = 20

4/21
pH = 8.2
Amm = 0
NO2 = 2.0
NO3 = 40

4/22
pH = 8.2
Amm = 0
NO2 = 1.0
NO3 = 20

Was that a big enough spike? It seems like it is passing quickly after it peaked on the Ammonia. Is it normal for Nitrites and Nitrates to peak quickly afterwards? For some reason I was thinking that each peak would last about the same amount of time for each one.

I'd like to get the CUC started as soon as SAFELY possible due to the GHA that is turning my LR into a Muppet. I'm thinking of naming it. I've always liked the name Herbie. Should I order the CUC now or wait until I have 0's across the board? It will comprise of about 5-10 algae munchin' snails of an assorted blend to start.

The good news is that the diatoms have mostly dies off and are just there waiting to be consumed. I've also been spotting several (7 now) baby feather duster worms. I've been debating about getting them some phytoplankton to help them grow and survive.

Should I start testing the cal/alk/mag for adding corals soon? I've read some posts that say wait 6 months to a year and others that say you can start a couple weeks after the cycle ends as long as the tests are stable for that duration of time.

I thought I had my A-game on, but now that I see the cycle ending I'm in a state of What-Do-I-Do-Next? Testing for an Ammonia spike was the easy part for me, heheh...

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Here is your typical cycle. Don't worry about they days across the bottom as many factors can affect the timing (condition of live rock). The important thing to look for is the rise and fall to zero of ammonia and then the rise and fall to zero of Nitrites. Once that is done, the cycle is complete and you can do a large water change or a series of water changes to reduce Nitrates and add a CUC.

goma-albums-cycle-picture24873-cycle.jpg

mikecc

What you are doing there is building up a bacteria colony large enough to handle a bio load. The bacteria, once established, waxes and wanes in relation to the amount of feeding material available (fish waste, excess food, etc.). This is why you add livestock slowly as to allow the bacteria to build up to the increased bioload. And then when you allow a filter sock or sponge filter to infest itself with the benificial bacteria that processes the load,called going biological, then you change it out and loose that bacteria, other bacteria must grow to take up the slack. I think a tank is in a constant state of cycle. It doesnt end, its not over, the cycle has just begun.

Snid

Hmmm... I did a test last night and the Ammonia was still gone and the Nitrites were too. Nitrate was dropping rapidly as well, down to 5. I did a small water change (about 5%) since the Nitrites were gone and the Nitrates were dropping on their own. I blame all the GHA that is showing up rapidly. My wife started braiding it for fun, and gave one rock corn rows. Okay, not really, but she could, it's that long...

I'm going to check the LFS for a CUC later today or tomorrow. If I don't like what I see, then someplace like Reefcleaners.org probably.

I have some Phytoplankton on order for the Feather Duster Worms, though I'm still on the fence about adding it or not. It was cheap, so it's a purchase I can part ways with if need be.

I'm also considering some Chaeto now for my Refugium. Any thoughts? Good source? My LFSs don't seem to have it surprisingly.

Finally... Any feedback on what test kit is best for Corals?

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Chaeto is great for a refugium, it grows fast and when it is trimmed and removed helps reduce nutrients in the water. Reef cleaners usually sells chaeto as well.

ziggy

Also keep in mind once the ammonia is exposed to the tank and the cycle runs it's course, a steady supply of new ammonia source must be maintained or the good bacteria will have nothing to eat, causing your nitrates to drop like a rock.

One way to maintain the ammonia source id to "ghost feed" the tank with only a few flakes of food, or very small piece of raw fish daily until such time as you can add your CUC which then bcome your small, steady source of ammonia for the bacteria.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I'm with ziggy here. If you only furnished a single food source or a small one initially then the cycle started, peaked and pretty much stopped. You want to keep feeding the cycle to detemine when the tank can handle the constant load placed upon it. From your readings (And this is a long shot of a guess) it appears you used a small/limited amount of biological material and the bacteria quickly and easily consumed it. That's good but that bacteria population can rise AND fall very quickly in direct proportion to the amount of food. I like to see the numbers stay a little higher a little longer and this is accomplished by daily feeding or my preference of the Deli Shrimp which would feed 24/7.

As stated I'm being overly cautious with jumping to the above conclusion. Better safe than sorry especially when dealing with your initial cycle. Strong foundation does a good tank make ( LOL )

Snid

Thanks everyone! All the feedback was helpful and confirmed everything I was thinking for the most part. One thing I should mention that wasn't mentioned prior, is that I have been dosing every other day with food in small increments all along to keep the Ammonia munching Bacteria happy throughout the cycle (some Formula 2).

Because I had been dosing every other day, I think my cycle is indeed complete and right where I wanted it to be after all. Plus, I have had GHA grow rapidly and exponentially, which would also explain the drop in the Nitrates. There are strands of it that are about 6 inches long, plenty for a CUC to munch on for sure.

Another thing that helps tell me that the cycle finished and didn't just stop is that many of the smaller worms have been showing up more in numbers and thriving (Feather Dusters and what I think are Peanut Worms). I've lost count of how many of the Feather Dusters I really have now, but they have to be contributing to the Bioload too in some small increment.

Finally, I also have a nice slow steady pace of Skimmate showing up in my Skimmer, which tells me that there are some organics floating around also contributing to the Bioload as well.

I added a small CUC last night; An Emerald Crab, 2 Nerite Snails, 2 Nassarius Snails, and 1 Mexican Turbo Snail. I did a drip acclimation and then added them very carefully. All seem to be doing well as of this morning, except I couldn't find Yoda (the Emerald Crab named by my Wife), but last time I saw him last night he was living it up prying things off the LR and munching away happily. I'll be keeping a close eye on them for sure and will do another water test tomorrow.

Oh... and I also got some Chaeto for the Refugium. I figured now is a good time to get it and let it start growing so that way I can trim some later to add to the Display for future inhabitants to nibble on.

Snid

Update:

So it is now 48 hours after adding the small CUC. Thus far no casualties, everyone is behaving normally, munching away on everything. One of the Nassarius Snails has a great nose for the small food dosings. He emerges from the sand almost immediately and starts hunting for bits that settle on the bottom. The Emerald Crab is grazing on anything and everything. The Nerites are cleaning the glass. The Mexican Turbo Snail is quite the journeyman, I just had to gently coax him off a return outlet and set him on some LR loaded with GHA.

On top of the many Feather Dusters and varies Worms I have discovered on my LR, I also discovered a Bivalve today that seems to be filtering the water nicely as well. Because of the Feather Dusters, the Bivalve, and a Pineapple Sponge, I decided to do some indirect dosing of Phytoplankton to help them out.

Water test today read...

pH = 8.2
Ammonia = 0
Nitrites = 0
Nitrates = 0

I have a perfect system started out it seems (knock on wood). Thanks for all the support, feedback, and cautious help!!! Everyone here has helped me in so many ways, including those not posting here, but asking/answering the questions I have also had elsewhere that I used for research. I truly appreciate all of you and these forums!