Quiet Pumps & Phosban Reactors

Snid

Hello everyone...

First, I am wanting to change my return refugium pump and my skimmer pump w/ venturi to something a little more quiet. Right now my return pump is 600 gph, and the skimmer is 200 gph, it can be more I believe. The return has a ball valve on it that is cutting back some of the flow, though I'm debating about adding an additional overflow so that I can open that line up more and get a better turnover rate. I've read that Eheim pumps are pretty quiet, but are all of them quiet, or just the more expensive ones? Every pump manufacturer claims theirs to be quiet practically, so I don't want to buy one based on what they say about quietness.

Any suggestions? :dunno:

Second, I am debating about getting a PhosBan Reactor 150 and using PhosBan media and wanted feedback on that. I have a great deal of GHA, but my tank is new, so it is to be expected. So would adding a PhosBan Reactor only be treating the symptoms and not be a good idea, or is it a nice extra piece to add to the puzzle? I know good husbandry is the key. I am doing weekly water changes, have Chaeto in the refugium, have a gradually growing CUC that is doing its thing and eating the GHA, and do some manual removal with siphoning to prevent filaments replanting. I also know I should expect several more months of algae blooms, so I'm not getting impatient or freaking out. I just am wondering if I can further help the process or if I have done my share with helping it progress. Water parameters always pretty spot on with 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrites, 0 Nitrates, 8.2 pH, and 1.026 salinity. My light cycle is long, however, at 12 hours, but if I could keep that as is I'd prefer to. Besides, algae grows mostly from phosphates, correct?

Overall thoughts there? :dunno:

Thanks in advance!

Snid

Mike! Thanks!

Well I'll be a monkey's uncle!!! That GFO and Carbon Reactor is really nothing more than an industrial water filter designed for commercial use on water feed lines slightly modified. I have an extra one of those at work that is new in box. The only thing I would have to do to it is modify the filter housing so that it could hold media versus the normal filter, which I could do with materials at home. So really, I have what I need, just need to make some modifications. Nice!

Sorry about the ribs. What on Earth did you do to break 3 of them?

david42

Broken ribs suck. I feel your pain. Last year a deer tried to steal my motorcycle while I was doing 55. Slammed right into me, knocked me clean off.