Snid's 55 Gallon Chunk O' Ocean Reef

Snid

Captain's Log: April 1st, 2014

The crew and I had been in freshwater for far too long. We longed for some fresh ocean air, the salty water, and the great mysteries that lied within. We parted ways with the freshwater life and prepped for some newly discovered sea water by thoroughly cleaning out the old aquarium, painting the stand white, and dropping in a bunch of Live Sand and salt water. It quickly became cloudy.

IMG_20140401_201851.jpg

Upon closer inspection, we noticed that it was indeed very cloudy...

IMG_20140401_201924.jpg

What adventures were on the horizon we weren't quite sure, but our course is set and we are on our way.

P.S. It took about a week for that giant cloud of sand dust to settle. Our patience was to be tested from the get go. We are a strong crew.

Snid

Captain's Log: 1st Week of April

While we wait for the cloudy water to clear up, we begin gathering the rest of our materials for our new Chunk O' Ocean. Here we see that one of our crew members, Alfonzo the Land Lubber, inspects an unusual plastic cube. When asked what it was for, I explained to him that it is supposed to display basketballs, but that I was going to convert it into a Refugium with some luck.

IMG_20140408_083046.jpg

Here is a quick examination of whether or not I can make it work after having done some modifications to the display case. Everything looks as though it will line up nicely, and all that will be needed is an adequate bulkhead and some holes drilled.

IMG_20140408_083859.jpg

Some Live Rock came in as well, so added that to the mix. But as you can see, the Refugium is working well, though some more tweaks are coming. At this point the Skimmer is pumping water into it and the excess is flowing back into the rest of the Sump where it can be sent back to the Display. The water got a little cloudy again due to placing the Live Rock and only being gentle and not being super-extreme gentle.

IMG_20140410_074614.jpg

Snid

Captain's Log: April 11th 2014 (Also known as my Anniversary Day to my beloved crew member and wife.)

Showing up on our anniversary was not what I had planned for, but it came a day late; The rest of the Live Rock, now that the 1st 10 Lbs. proved that the seller was reliable, for a combined total of 70 lbs. The cup on the left is holding onto a couple of Hitchhikers that decided to join our adventures.

IMG_20140411_155754.jpg

Added the Live Rock to the system and tried my hand at some aquascaping through careful stacking. I paid close attention to minimizing how much of it was in contact with the DSB to make certain that it won't create evil pockets of gathering detritus later down the road. There are lots of caves as a result, for future inhabitants to call home.

IMG_20140411_174653.jpg

A close up of a couple of the Hitchhikers, a Spoon Work, a Bristle Worm, and a dead Shrimp. It was entertaining watching the Spoon Worm crawl away to the Live Rock, seeking a new hole to lodge himself into, probably never to be seen again.

IMG_20140411_174035.jpg

Snid

Captain's Log: April 13th 2014

DIATOMS!!! DIATOMS!!! DIATOMS!!! The "uglies" begin. Some of the crew grows impatient and hates the ugly phase. As the Captain, I assure them that all is normal and it will just be a passing phase. We must be patient!

DSC_5165.JPG

DSC_5172.JPG

Snid

Captain's Log: April 21st 2014

Green Hair Algae! the Diatoms are dying off and the GHA is moving in. Ammonia finished spiking and has dropped to 0. Nitrites are rising and Nitrates are just showing up. The cycle is on a steady course and we can't wait to add the CUC once we get far enough through the cycle. Patience!!!

DSC_5182.JPG

We also have a few more discovered Hitchhikers that I haven't gotten good photographs of yet. There are 2 baby Feather Dusters for sure, and possible a 3rd one, but I'm not sure if it is a Feather Duster or something else. Hoping to get better pictures soon worthy of posting.

Almost forgot to share this little guy. This little loner is a Spindle Weed. He's hanging in there, but from what I've read, they tend to not last long in aquariums.

DSC_5170.JPG

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Nice job of documenting the start! Looking forward to seeing your reef come to life!

Snid

Captain's Log: April 22nd 2014

After being away at our small portion of the ocean, we came back to shore to discover warm greetings from a very Sea Worthy family known as GOMA. Thanks!

So I was further exploring the depths of the reef, only to discover that I don't have 3 Feather Duster Worms... I have at least 9 now! Oh what a magnifying glass can help you see. I need to get a better one, more designed for this sort of exploration. The one I'm using is more for reading.

I've also discovered some form of a Medusa or Peanut Worm. I'm going to try borrowing a better camera tomorrow and see if I can get some decent pics of all these little critters. My camera just isn't cutting it right now. Not even going to waste your time showing you pics of blurry things mixed into blotches of color.

roearth

Great start. So fascinating to watch as life develops in our reefs. Look forward to seeing your updates!

:wave:

Snid

Captain's Log: April 23rd 2014

It's early morning and I was doing a little research on some of our discoveries. We might possibly have a Pineapple Sponge lurking in a cave near a couple of Feather Duster Worms. Hopefully if I can get the better camera today I can get a good look at it and post it as well.

Also, another smaller Peanut Worm (or maybe a Medusa) was seen laboring away late last night. These two guys are very busy workers, plucking at small grains, twitching, and seemingly digesting small particles. They are translucent white with small tentacles at the head. They reach out from the LR like an arm with their bodies and use their tentacles like small hands to feel around and grab things. Every once and a while they seem to twitch either from a reflex or perhaps they enjoy dancing like Elaine from Seinfeld.

Finally, a special thank you goes out to roearth for the kind salutations!

Snid

Captain's Log: April 24th 2014

Here is a nice overall pick of the Aquarium thus far. You'll see that GHA likes my place. Also worth noting, there are so many baby Feather Duster Worms showing up on all the LR that I've lost count.

IMG_0632.jpg

Just because it is actually somewhat beautiful and hopefully only a temporary guest, here are a few close-ups of the GHA. Some strands are about 6 inches or more along the top.

IMG_0633.jpg

IMG_0635.jpg

Finally, here is a close-up of what I think is a Peanut Worm. He reaches out from the rock below and plucks at things from the top rock.

IMG_0634+circle.jpg

Time to add a CUC!!! I have some LR decks that need swabbed.

Snid

Captain's Log: April 24th 2014 (Night... Red Sky... Sailor's Delight)

We picked up a few crew mates on a wonderful evening. They seem to be a lively crew with a pretty good work ethic. Joining the Chunk O' Ocean are 2 Nerite Snails, 2 Nassarius Snails, 1 Mexican Turbo Snail, and 1 Emerald Crab named Yoda (thanks to my lovely wife).

Through a proper drip acclimation, they were gently added to their new surroundings. They took to them so quickly that I barely had time to grab the camera and get some pictures of the 2 Nassarius Snails before they buried hemselves into the sand bed.

Here you see one of the Nassarius Snails plunging in.

IMG_0637.jpg

This is one of the Nerite Snails in GHA heaven.

IMG_0639.jpg

Though hard to make out, this is another Nassarius Snail plunging in.

IMG_0640.jpg

Initially this Nerite Snail was added to the center of a GHA patch, but he worked his way to the side of the LR.

IMG_0641.jpg

Here is the Mexican Turbo Snail. I had initially put him near the side of the glass to work on that algae, but he had a better idea and slid over to the LR.

IMG_0642.jpg

This is another pic of that first Nerite Snail I showed you, he is on the move.

IMG_0643.jpg

Here you see the Mexican trying to slowly work his way up the LR. If you look even more closely, however, you'll see that Yoda, the Emerald Crab is sitting just to the right of him picking things off the LR as well. He nipped at the Mexican a little, warning him that this was his grazing ground. No harm done.

IMG_0648.jpg

One of the Nassarius Snails decided to emerge after hiding for a while, and boy can he move. He probably moved at a pace of about 2 inches a second. For size reference, you can see the Mexican hanging on the LR in the back. And the Nerites that aren't in the following pic are smaller than both of those shown here.

IMG_0649.jpg

And finally, below in the Refugium, I added some Chaeto Microalgae to start growing with plans of trimming some and adding it to the display as well later on. Some of the future inhabitants will have fun nibbling on it.

IMG_0653.jpg

The CUC seems to like the new place. The first true test beyond a chemical test kit on wether this Chunk O' Ocean is going to thrive or not. Fingers crossed.

Snid

Captain's Log: April 25th 2014 (Sunrise in the Tank, not in the Real World)

I thought I'd try to get an early morning glimpse on the CUC and see how they are doing. The lights are just now ramping up with the blue actinic going first. Everyone was accounted for and seemed fine except for Yoda. He was hiding somewhere. I suspect that he is just fine if he isn't floating around dead and was happily eating the night before.

Here's a look of the early morning lights ramping up, creating a slow and steady blue sunrise. It's a little trippy looking.

IMG_0654.jpg

The Mexican has made his way to the top of all the LR, which couldn't have been an easy task. Soon, he will hit the mother load!

IMG_0656.jpg

Snid

Captain's Log: April 26th 2014 (Noon)

Two of our crew mates are playing a game of Hide-and-Seek with the rest of us. The Mexican Turbo Snail and Yoda, the Emerald Crab, have tucked themselves away somewhere. I'm leaning all over the Chunk O' Ocean from every angle and can't see either of them. Yoda, I get, he is a crab after all. Hiding in a nook is in his nature. I can't figure out how a 2" Snail has hidden himself though. I'm actually wondering if the GHA ate him instead!

The Nassarius Snails are buried and sifting through the sand, but I see their little stalks peeking out. The Nerites have decided they like the front glass better than the LR I had them on, probably easier on their foot pads. Whatever... There is algae they can eat there too.

Aside from the MIAs, all indications are that the reef is doing well thus far. I'll do a water test later this evening to make sure it is well within acceptable parameters.

Snid

Captain's Log: April 26th 2014 (Quarter Past Noon)

Good news. After posting the previous log and then getting up to get some work done around the house, Yoda was seen. My running to get the camera caused him to scuttle back into hiding, but at least I know he is alive and well for sure. He was happily plucking algae off the sand bed when first spotted. So glad that our buffet spread meets his needs.

Last edited:

Snid

Captain's Log: April 26th 2014 (The Evening of a Perfect Sunny Day)

Well... Yoda is still having fun roaming around and nibbling on just about everything...

aHJtwb3dZaJty5levWGxwWSyhoEekB7ro8ljfSmKCgw=w310-h207-p-no

I finally found the Mexican, that cheeky lil' devil! He is quite the swashbuckler! He somehow made it up to my return line from the Refugium.

eY71w6-sjkLQc-vWGc6JNe8q7hZ023a7AuKDszexhpM=w295-h196-p-no

To give you an idea of his journey, he started on the sand bed directly below and climbed up all the LR.

tyblq2FjBt5HXAwb4KyeuHDLxsfZnCfv_pisDwYUNdc=w295-h196-p-no

And last but not least, great discoveries are still being made on the LR. I found a Bivalve of some sort. Doubt I'll get a good identification of him, but I'll try. He's pretty encrusted and it's hard to get a crystal clear picture of him.

5v0kbEMsENyuRWvGufySbPQa25h75s6AM9Eo_wTWk3o=w310-h207-p-no

Now I'm off to test the water's chemical balance and make certain we are still in the clear.

Snid

Captain's Log: April 26th 2014 (Late Evening)

Just had the magnifying glass out and was scanning all the LR when I made another great discovery... I think. I will have to do some research, but I do believe that I found a baby Snail. The thing is about the size of a smaller grain of rice, so I can't really show a picture. The shell spirals to a point, and has brown and white in a textured pattern. It is amazing to me that here we are, weeks after including the LR and I am still finding new life and new civilizations. To boldly go where... Woops. Sorry about that, I went off track. Happy Reefing!

[Addendum]

After doing further looking, I found 3 of those baby snails, all grazing on algae it seems. Upon further research, I think I hit a little jackpot of some Cerith Snails.

Last edited:

Snid

Captain's Log: May 2nd, 2014

Ahoy, Mateys! We have lots to talk about we do. The initial CUC has been doin' a fine job of swappin' the decks, and so far no injuries or deaths on the job. The Nassarius Snails are quite amusing to watch whenever food is added to the tank, seemingly out of nowhere, they rise from the sand bed like the undead in Michael Jackson's Thriller video to get some grub.

Nassarius01.jpg

Yoda, the Emerald Crab, has been difficult to get any really good photographs of. He is either always hiding, or blends in so well that the camera has focusing issues, even in manual mode. He is strong with the force that one. From time to time, though, he does scurry around in the open...

Yoda01.jpg

The water parameters gave tested perfect ever since the CUC has been in. I mean absolute perfect, no hint of Ammonia, Nitrites, or Nitrates. And the GHA is subsiding quite a bit. The Nerite Snails have laid some eggs on the glass, or at least I'm 99% sure that's what it is. They never move, are small, white, discs. And they look exactly like ones I've seen posted online elsewhere. And there are Copeopods roaming around the glass, and presumably everywhere else as well. Life flourishes! Added another Mexican Turbo Snail to assist with the CUC.

Finally, we have these two cute additions to the tank!!!

Clowns01.jpg

They were added yesterday. There was much internal debate as to whether or not it was too soon, but I felt pretty confident that the tank was cycled enough with the evidence of the GHA subsiding, the Copeopods and Snail eggs showing up, and the abundance of Feather Dusters that have shown up everywhere. If I'm not careful, I might end up with a Feather Duster only tank!

Then there was much debate about whether I was going to quarantine the fish first, or send them straight to the display tank. I opted to go straight in for a couple of reasons. They had been quarantined at the LFS I got them from. I did a ton of research... A ton! And I know some of you may disagree, but I strongly agree with some who think that the first tank fish can be added without quarantining as long as you properly acclimate them and make the transition as stress free as possible. If they harbor diseases and their stress levels drop enough that they get sick, that will prolong the time of me being able to add anything else to the tank, but the truth is this. Stress is the number one reason as to why a disease dominates a fish. Stress weakens their immune system, and then they get sick. The display tank with no other tank mates to fear is a much more welcoming and comforting environment for the fish. Our tank is kept in a very quite part of the house as well, no loud noises or busy people roaming around too much. Not having to move into a quarantine tank, and then into the display tank actually reduces their chances of getting stressed to the point of sickness because they are already adapting to their final home.

On the first night, they were cautious about their explorations and huddled in corners. They did act hungry though, nipping at the rocks and nabbing anything small that floated by. So I fed them a small amount, which they happily enjoyed every bit of. Today, they are swimming all over, usually together but not always. They enjoy my company and seem just as curious about me as I am about them. They visit me at the side of the glass, probably hoping that I feed them again. So I did, and they ate very well again. No signs of irregular swimming, no indications of sickness, breathing is normal, and no hostilities toward anything. On occasion, they exercise themselves intentionally by swimming directly into a wavemaker's current.

I'm still trying to come up with good names for them. Trying to avoid the Marlin/Nemo or Marlin/Cora combo that is so popular. I will have to think on it more, though I have some ideas brewing.

Working on a custom made backdrop for the aquarium, to get away from that bright yellow and hide the hoses and such. I have one printed out, just need to trim it down and hang it up. Printed two copies in case I need to laminate one. I think you'll like it once I get it up and share a picture.

That's all for now.

Snid

Captain's Log: May 7th, 2014

Just an update without pictures. Pictures to come in the next few days. Everyone is doing smashingly well. Water parameters have been spot on every day since the inclusion of any CUC. Salinity at 1.026, pH steady at 8.2, Ammonia at 0, Nitrites at 0, Nitrates at 0. Added a background behind my aquarium that really makes the colors of the Clownfish pop. It's a custom job that you'll see soon enough. More snail eggs are showing up all over.

Snid

Great start I love your narration. What are you going to add next?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Good question, Matey!

Patience is the first thing I'm adding.

Leaning towards a 6 Line Wrasse, some Blue Green Chromis, or a Firefish Goby. Prepping a Quarantine tank soon for the next addition.
Also got what I needed to start testing the water for a Green Star Polyp. I've read that they are great for first corals. My tank needs to mature more first though.

Might add a shrimp to my CUC soon too.

For fellow newcomers, please take note to keywords such as Patience, Test, Quarantine, and Mature.