Snid's 55 Gallon Chunk O' Ocean Reef

Snid

Captain's Log: June 11th, 2014 (Evening)

I just wanted to report that the Chalk Bass perked up a little bit after I did some target feeding with a baster. He quit sulking in a corner and moved around a tiny bit into some PVC pipes I set in the QT for hiding places. He ate well. I was getting a little worried, but it looks like maybe he was just super hungry. So glad to see that he looks like he'll be okay. He is thinking properly now; eat, swim, hide... No longer sulk on the bottom in a corner. Phew!

Roy Page

Captain's Log: June 11th, 2014 (Evening)

I just wanted to report that the Chalk Bass perked up a little bit after I did some target feeding with a baster. He quit sulking in a corner and moved around a tiny bit into some PVC pipes I set in the QT for hiding places. He ate well. I was getting a little worried, but it looks like maybe he was just super hungry. So glad to see that he looks like he'll be okay. He is thinking properly now; eat, swim, hide... No longer sulk on the bottom in a corner. Phew!

So all is good then Snid.
Pleased to hear that he is eating and looks better.

Mike Johnson

Bob, after battling aiptasia for years and going through a gallon of aipstasia x, which IMO just spreads them, I learned that getting really hot RO water and squirting them is effective and also kills the planula they release. Read this quick before it gets erased by the makers of Joe's juice and aipstasia x, etc. Don't put this on the Red Sea forum either, you might get banned.

Snid

I'm going to try your approach, Mike. I like the fact that it doesn't dose anything. The less dosing the better IMO. Obviously once I start getting more into corals, there might have to be some dosing of Magnesium and such, but in my mind that is a little different. That's more like a feeding via chemistry vs. trying to find a solution to a problem through chemistry.

P.S. The Chalk Bass is still doing well in the QT. Some of my fellow shipmates are a bit annoyed that the fish isn't in the DT and is just hiding in a dark, quiet tank. The reward will be well worth it. It truly is a beautiful fish. I'm surprised more people don't have them. *shrug*

Snid

Captain's Log: June 13th, 2014

So the Chalk Bass was more reclusive again last night, and I couldn't get him to eat. This had me concerned of course. This morning, however, I tried feeding him again. Not only did he eat, but he swam better than he has to date and more outward into the open to snag some of the food drifting away. This allowed me to really get a good look at him. His color was better than ever and there are still no signs of disease. I think this guy is going to be just fine and will be a beautiful addition to the DT when the time comes.

I found this in an article about Chalk Bass, which describes my lil' guy to a T...

Acclimation

It’s quite normal for S. tortugarum to be reclusive when first added to the home aquarium, retreating into whatever shelter you make available to them. You can encourage them into the open by utilizing a subdued lighting scheme initially and offering live Artemia or mysids to encourage natural feeding behavior. Chalk basses are also very likely to jump during this initiatory phase to new surroundings, so you may want to consider employing a hood or cover at least for the first few weeks.

And yes... I have had his QT tank covered from the get go.

I will have a better camera for the weekend and hope to get picks of him and the DT that is riddled with GHA.

In the mean time, for those who don't know what a Chalk Bass looks like, here's a quick pic of another one.

ChalkBass.jpg

Snid

Captain's Log: June 17th, 2014

This week, the crew and I have been house sitting, doing side photography jobs, etc... That being said, all is fine in the Chunk O' Reef! And in the QT tank, the cute lil' newcomer is doing fine as well. That lil' bugger can swim fast to snatch some food when it wants. 0-60cm in 1 second. No signs of infection. 1 week down, 2 to go.

The Peppermint Shrimp has gone MIA. I suspect he died and his remains have been dealt with by the CUC. Been days since he's last been spotted, and in a 55 gallon, there really aren't a lot of places to hide that I can't see.

The GHA is still happy as a clam. It has taken on a more dense, manicured look. I'm almost starting to like it's look too much. Phosban media is on its way, so I will have to finish my little Phosban reactor project soon so that I can get it running so that I don't have time to fall in love with a GHA tank. It could happen. It is a pretty green. And so lush. See! It's happening! ARGH!!!!

Mike Johnson

I was complimented on my refugium tank the other day. My wife wants me to take it down because to her algae is ugly.

It's absolutely amazing how things can hide in a tank. Peppermints are known to go MIA for months.

Ms Eli

Nice tank. doing some research before I even think of starting on my 75g. Love the Captains logs..lol

Snid

Yeah Roy... I really need to pick up a camera. The problem with working in photography is that you get tired of it because it is your job. LOL! The GHA is still quite lush. I'm not really bothered with it as some people might be. I could have pulled a couple of the rocks and dipped them in Hydrogen Peroxide with ease, but I'd rather try and let things happen as naturally as possible, because as soon as you start going down the intervention path, you always have to intervene.

Roy Page

Yeah Roy... I really need to pick up a camera. The problem with working in photography is that you get tired of it because it is your job. LOL! The GHA is still quite lush. I'm not really bothered with it as some people might be. I could have pulled a couple of the rocks and dipped them in Hydrogen Peroxide with ease, but I'd rather try and let things happen as naturally as possible, because as soon as you start going down the intervention path, you always have to intervene.

Now I understand better when you mentioned photography before in a post.
In another life, back in England, I worked part time as a videographer and recently bought a new Panosonic AF-100 cam using my Canon still lenses.
Does a great job, on the still side we are totally Canon and for scuba / underwater and general use have a G15 which does a half decent job.
So I have plenty of decent kit around me to record this adventure into reef keeping ;)

Pleased to hear that the GHA is not getting you down.
Roy

Snid

It's absolutely amazing how things can hide in a tank. Peppermints are known to go MIA for months.

Ahoy! The little guy was discovered alive and well last night! How funny!!!

jaws789832

When my peppermint molts he will go MIA for about 3 days, then pop out with a vigor chowing down on all he can find. My wife gets a little freaked out by he exoskeleton floating around the tank. She always thinks he died and its his ghost floating around. He does this about every other month.

Clint24

Snid, just finished reading your thread. Very well said. Glad to hear all is working out for you & your crew on your adventure. Keep up the good work & keep us all posted!! :)

CD

Snid

jaws,

That makes since. A new and weak exoskeleton needs to harden up. And there was a molt that I assumed was my Cleaner Shrimp's, but now I think the new guy came in, molted, than hid.

Clint,

Thanks! Will do. Every time I go to grab the camera and take some pictures, I find myself pulled into other activities around the house. *sigh*

I will say that I've had no losses of any livestock added that wasn't a hitchhiker. And the Chalk Bass is still hanging out in the QT getting spot fed with a baster. He comes out of his hiding when I walk by to see if I'm going to feed him every time. When I do feed him, he tries to pull the food out of the baster before I squeeze it out gently for him. His colors look amazing, and his movements are strong and controlled. He's now 2 weeks in QT with 1 to go, though I may add him to the DT a couple of days early mostly because the weekend will be an easier time for me to monitor him and make sure he is adjusting properly. Plus I plan on doing some tank maintenance this coming weekend, so I could do that and when the livestock is already disturbed, add the new guy. Might be best that way.

Snid

Captain's Log: June 30th, 2014

Time keeps on slippin', slippin', slippin'... Into the future! Haven't had much time really. The crew and I are doing well. Did a major tank maintenance this past weekend to keep the GHA under control. Moved the Chalk Bas from the QT to the DT, and he's doing great. It's nice to see his colors really shine under better lighting. He moved right in with no problem, is swimming and eating very well. He's a little timid, but that is in his nature. He darts out during feeding time and snarfs down food. He's probably the fastest member of the crew.

I know... Pictures.

Clint24

Well I hope ur just busy Snid, & that u and your crew didn't get attacked by pirates on your journey !! Lol. Hope your chuck o ocean is doin good. :)

CD

Snid

Captain's Log: July 11th, 2014

Still busy warding off those pirates! Pardon me one second...

*load scuffles and metal clanging*

*some muffled sounds of "argh" and "shiver me timbers"*

Ok... Back. Sorry 'bout that. Yeah. Busy. Methinks the crew and I might have some time here real soon for some photo sessions and what-have-you.

In the meantime, all is well. GHA still having fun, but I'm keeping it in check. It actually is slowly seeming to be less and less as time passes, though you can barely tell the difference. I do have some interesting new algae starting to show on part of my sand bed. I'm actually interested to see what it may be or become. It has no form yet, just a slight coloring. It looks like the color of corroded copper, more of a pale blue-green than a true green of most algae. And with no shape or form yet, it really is just starting to make my sand look like it is turning that color. It's actually quite beautiful, and I have my fingers crossed that it is a good thing to have. I ran a copper test just to see and it came back as negative to having any copper in the water.

Avast!

Woops... Gotta run!

*clangs and scuffles*

Snid

Captain's Log: July 17th, 2014

Well, maties... The crew and I got swept away in some strong currents of rest and relaxation... Ahhh...

All is good in the Chunk'O Reef... Mostly. We did have a little accident that we aren't too sure about the cause. One of the Emerald Crabs, pretty sure it was Yoda, lost two legs on his left side! Yikes!!! He is living his life as if nothing has happened to him, so that's good I guess. My best guess is that the legs got pinched in some rocks as I have not seen anyone in the tank even remotely consider attacking the crabs, nor are any of the inhabitants really big enough to want to. I guess there could have been a territory dispute, but I'm leaning to the rock idea.

In the past week, my DT's Amphipod count seems to have about quadrupled and my Isopod count has maybe doubled!!! Seriously. I went from seeing an occasional one here or there to seeing them all over, munching away on the GHA. Yet another reason why one shouldn't panic about having GHA, especially early on. GHA is also a food source for good things like Pods! This made my day as I am considering a Dragonet one day perhaps. If I do add a Dragonet, I have disciplined myself to wait until the tank is at least a full year old and has that certain level of maturity. But seeing Pods everywhere has me excited and hopeful!

Starting to have a lot of baby Featherduster Worms attached to the tank glass all over. I scrape off a lot of them, but I don't mind having them in some spots. There are some calcareous like worms that don't spiral like the Featherdusters that are similar in size also starting to show up on the glass. I think they might also be Featherdusters as well. I'll have to try and get a good pic, but most of them are in hard to photograph regions.

Speaking of photographs... Yeah. I know. Well, next week I plan to do many things as far as photographing the tank. The wife will be away and I will be lost and bored without her. Especially come day 2 or 3. Day 1 I might lounge around in me undies and eat M&Ms while watching Sci-Fi movies that she can't stand. Argh!