Emerald Crab Legs Fell Off...

Snid

Ok... This one baffles me a little bit.

One day I discovered one of my Emerald Crabs lost two legs. My first guess was that they got pinched between two rocks and got yanked off this way. That being said, I gave my Chalk Bass the stink eye and wagged my finger at him just in case. He just looked back at me and waited for me to feed them. *sigh*

A couple of days later I found the Emerald Crab creeping around the base of a rock with only 1 leg left! I gasped in terror and promptly scooped him out of my DT and relocated him in the Refugium. I then scolded the Chalk Bass and sent him to the corner. He ignored me and swam wherever he wanted. *sigh*

The next day I checked on the Emerald Crab and he was fine with his one leg, but his pincher looked a little messed up. I figured it was from struggling to move around with one leg and hoped he'd pull through. The Chalk Bass looked at me as if to say,"It wasn't me! I can't even reach the Refugium from here!" *sigh*

The next day the Emerald Crab was dead and he was missing his last leg and one whole arm. Leaving him with just one arm and no legs. I made sure it wasn't a molt that I pulled out as when I researched it many responses to Google searches about "Emerald Crabs Legs Falling Off" had a multitude of responses of molting. The Chalk Bass looked at me as if asking,"What good are legs anyways?" *sigh*

Anyways... I'm baffled about the death of the Emerald Crab, and why it was a slow progression of legs and arms falling off. Especially when each time I found him he seemed to be ignoring the fact that his legs fell off and plucking away at Algae like normal. I tried to find answers to this, but as I said, everyone seems to think it is tied in with molting somehow perhaps. Just curious if anyone has a good answer and not just a guess. Thanks!

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Hmm that does sound odd. Not sure what would have grabbed him in the refugium unless his body was just shedding limbs

Snid

His name was Yoda, but I think maybe he should have been named C-3PO with the way his limbs ended up all over. Besides, I haven't noticed a glowing blue version of him wandering around. Of course, I may not be trained in the ways of the Force well enough to see him.

"When 900 years old you become, limbs will fall off... Hmmm?"

Mayja

Social Media Moderator
RS STAFF
LOL! OMG I love how you told this story! I'm sorry that you lost your crab, but the storytelling was priceless.

Snid

Thanks, Mayja! I hope things are going well with your tank after the move... And more importantly I hope that you are doing well with your life changes.

jrose323

Sounds like Shell Disease Syndrome. Did you notice any black spots on him prior to or after the occurrence?

Snid

Whoa... That was one heck of a read, jrose. Thank you.

I'm not sure if it is the correct diagnosis. I didn't see any spots. In fact, he looked and behaved normal minus the missing appendages. That being said, Shell Disease Syndrome is the closest match thus far.

I've been closely observing my other Emerald Crab, and he is still 100% fine in all aspects.

*shrug*