Algae Questions...

Snid

So I am starting a new reef tank (55 gallons with refugium). I am still cycling, as I just started it this month. The ammonia is starting to spike thanks to the 70 lbs. of LR and a DSB. Diatoms are growing, so the "uglies" are in full swing. Waiting for the Nitrite spike. No stock added yet, vertebrate or invertebrate.

My question is about the algae that came in on my LR. I still have yet to identify it all but have been using some of the resources I've found posted in these forums and elsewhere on the net. Some are beneficial algae, some are perhaps not. The dilemma that I am having is that I think I like the looks of some of the algae that could be problematic. For example, I'm pretty sure I have some Bryopsis on several of my rocks, which has a nice color green and nice texture. I plan on having a CUC that would have some snails and a shrimp that probably will eat some of it, but I've read that maybe they won't eat the base. So how much is too much? When do I intervene beyond using a CUC to deal with it? Is it really that hard to eliminate or reduce as I have read? If so should I just eliminate it altogether now with some Seachem Advantage Magnesium before I stock anything in the tank, including the CUC? Should I do it while the cycling is still happening, or after the cycle completes? Will I loose the beneficial algae as a result and is that a worthy trade off?

Blog with pictures hopefully to come soon. Thanks in advance for any advice.

reefer gladness

You can dose magnesium without worrying about killing beneficial algaes. Just don't go crazy with it and test as you go along. Not sure if there's any difference but a lot of people including myself used Kent's Tech-M to increase mag. I've done it before and the bryo just melted away.

As for timing, see what others think but I would increase mag and kill off the bryo now. That way the beneficial algae are able to use the nitrates and phosphates that the bryo would otherwise be sucking up.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
You don't want bryopsis, trust me! As RG said, best to deal with that now if it is infact bryopsis.

Post some pics and we can help with the ID.

Snoopy

You don't want bryopsis, trust me! As RG said, best to deal with that now if it is infact bryopsis.

Post some pics and we can help with the ID.

Plus one - get rid of it now while there is nothing else in the tank.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Snid, you have 5 posts now so if you could take a close-up picture of what you think might be bryopsis...maybe it'd be best to get a positive ID on it before you take drastic measures to kill it.
I thought I had some of it when my tank was cycling but it turned out to be just GHA...my turbo snails mowed it down in about a weeks time after I added them to the tank.
Besides...we'd like to see your tank from the beginning with PICTURES :D

Snid

Checked my chemicals again and I'm still in the middle of the Ammonia spike, but Nitrites are on the rise.

Here are some pictures...

This first one is the overall setup. The Sump/Refugium is a modified eShoppes WD-75 Wet-Dry where I added a 3rd chamber that the skimmed water pumps into before recirculating back into the display. I didn't add the bio-balls as I have read in several places that they shouldn't be used when you have LR and a Refugium. I designed it so that I can easily separate it from the display's water system for quarantining when adding new fish or treating a sick one. It's also designed to easily detach so that I can remove everything from the under cabinet through the small door it came with if I ever have to do some serious maintenance. The Protein Skimmer was designed for a 150 gallon aquarium, but I'm still tweaking its effectiveness, though I have been able to get some skimmate out already. I have two 800 GPH Wavemakers tossing things around above and actually redesigning some of the DSB.

DSC_5165.JPG

This next one is a close-up of what I think is mostly GHA, though there is some red strands of something mixed in. Also, hidden in that particular rock is a worm of some sort that has retreated for the moment after hearing that today was picture day. The worm, which I haven't identified as of yet has a translucent white tube shaped base and the rest of the worm (which looks like a small earth worm actually) extends from that into the water. The whole thing is probably about the size of a small wall hanging nail.

DSC_5167.JPG

This next close up shows a larger bunch of the red algae that is on some of the rocks and sometimes mixed in with what I think is GHA in places.

DSC_5168.JPG

Here's a clos-up of some of the algae that has more substantial trunk-like branches that lead me to believe it's not GHA. There is quite a few patches like this on several of the rocks, and they vary in color from white/red, all red, and all green. You can see some of the diatoms blooming on the lower front.

DSC_5169.JPG

Here's a close-up of one lone Spindle Weed that came in on the LR. I've read that they don't tend to last, so I'm enjoying the cute loner while I can.

DSC_5170.JPG

Here's another close-up of some of that algae with a more substantial trunk-like base being over-run by some diatoms.

DSC_5171.JPG

Finally, a close-up of the diatoms spreading across the DSB.

DSC_5172.JPG

You may have noticed some good patches of Coralline Algae. There were also some good sponges in various places on the LR when it came in, but much of it has died off sadly. It is a shame too because there were some nice oranges and light purples that have turned white. There was an obvious Vermetid Snail as well that I think has died as she hasn't revealed herself in any fashion that last few days. Somewhere hiding in the mix is a Spoon Worm that became dislodged or crawled out of the LR in shipping that I added to the aquarium and watched him crawl away into hiding, and a small bristle worm. No signs of Aiptasia thank goodness.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
From those pictures, I honestly don't see anything that IMO you need to be concerned about.
I wound get some needle nose tweezers and work on getting out ALL the GBA (green bubble algae) that you can see. I use a magnifying glass to hunt for GBA spores in my tank and I've found it's not that hard to control it.
I am my own little emerald crab :yup: and as hard as I try not to, I smash some bubbles. I just keep picking at the spore skin & try to remove it all. If you think about the crabs (if you are luckier that I was & get one that's not too lazy to help!) break the bubbles in the tank too. Just stay on top of GBA removal. It can get out of control...I've seen some tanks that it has taken over :( you have to stay obsessed with removal.
If later you find some algae that you CUC won't touch, then seek help with more pictures.

Others may come along & ID something that I don't see, but I think it's too early to be sure what you have is Bryopsis. I was told in the beginning that my GHA looked like bad stuff but it wasn't. (I did panic, but waited it out & my CUC ate it all)