Salutations!

Snid

My name is Snid, well not really, but that is what I go by. I live in Ohio, USA. I had a salt water tank many years ago with a decent amount of success and have decided to try again now that I am pretty sure I'm in a stable home for a while.

I have a new reef aquarium starting up. 55 Gallons with a refugium. I only have 70 lbs. of live rock with a 4-5" bed of live sand in it right now as it is still cycling. I did get a couple of hitchhikers that I hope make it through the process; a spoon worm, a small bristle worm, and a couple of vermetid snails. There is a decent variety of sponges and algae too.

So far the cycle is going smoothly and a slight bit ahead of schedule. I have Ammonia levels dropping and Nitrites working their way up and some Nitrates making their way in. I know that patience is the key and I am in no rush, so nothing else is going in until Ammonia and Nitrites are gone. At that point I'm planning on a few invertebrates and nothing more; Shrimp (probably coral banded), Cerith Snail, Brittle Star Fish.

I'm not sure what my first fish will be, but I am planning on a Fire Goby, a Mandarin Dragonet, and a Clown Fish of some sorts. (The Dragonet will not be the first fish.) I may consider a Coral Beauty as I had one before and really loved her.

So yeah... That's where I'm at. Patiently waiting and in the meantime having fun looking for other hitchhikers that haven't popped out yet.

kathya0321

Hello there,

In the same spot, cycling waiting to add CUC, however I only have a Bio Cube 14, looking mainly to do a reef tank with maybe a shrimp and one fish. Good luck with your new set up.

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Hi and welcome to RS!!! Friendly bunch of helpful folks here, feel free to ask any questions you may have! :swmfish:

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

Start a tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along, we love pics :dance:

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Hi Snid (and Kathy!) :wave:
:welcomera WELCOME to Reef Sanctuary :crowd:
Glad to have you both...Sure hope you make yourselves at home here & share your builds with us.
Looking forward to more post as your tank cycle progresses.
VERY BEST WISHES :biker

Snid

Thanks everyone...

So far so good. The "uglies" have really begun to show and Ammonia is on a resurge, so it seems my initial spike was just a teaser (and I was unclear on how high of a spike I should be anticipating). I did add a bacteria boost initially and had a small amount of conditioned tap water on the initial fill so my readings were probably picking up on that. I started an excel sheet with line graphs to help me keep track of the chemical levels visually and I like what I'm seeing as far as direction.