Search results

1. A

Test kits shuck!

I've never had very accurate results with Red Sea. I tend to stick to Elos or Salifert now.
  2. A

Question for people with tanks built into walls

A good mag scraper can be used from the front for the majority of your glass cleaning issues. Depending on how deep your tank is you might have more visibility than you'd suspect when working from a ladder or from the sides. Also, as that appears to be a non load-bearing wall, you could opt to...
  3. A

please dont tell me my wife is correct!!!!!

One thing to be careful of when you hang a pump from the piping like that is to make sure it's secured fairly close to where the piping comes out of the sump otherwise you can actually get the entire pipe shaking and resonating which is not fun at all. It's mainly a shot in the dark since it...
  4. A

homeade aiptasiax?

Lemon juice is a common household one. And similar to just about every other solution out there, some people have wild success, some people have abysmal failures with it.
  5. A

Cycing Progress

Hrm, snowflake in shape? Then possibly, which is nothing to worry about. If you mean snowflake just in size/color, then they could be pods or spiroid worms as well. Also both good to see.
  6. A

Cleaning sexy rounded curves

I never said it was free floating formaldahyde, it just seems totally against every instinct I have to put a water soluble cleaning agent in my tank. I'm not doubting people have used them successfully, I'm just in utter disbelief I guess because, like I said, goes against every instinct in my...
  7. A

Cleaning sexy rounded curves

...Bwah? Mr. Clean Magic Erasers have water activated chemicals on them, and you're using them in the tank? The MSDS sheet lists: Formaldehyde-Melamine-Sodium bisulfite copolymer None of which I'd want to go throwing in my tank willy nilly...
  8. A

Lost my first animals....

If he was old, it's quite possible it was just his time...
  9. A

Temp???

There's lots of variables to balance here. Your stock should be the first thing. If you look at where they're from, and not just the geographic location, but also the depth, that should give you a temperature range per livestock. If you find a temperature that sits in each species range, then...
  10. A

Shopping list for a New BIOCUBE 29 project

When you say a cooler/bucket full of fresh RO/DI you do mean mixed with salt to the same salinity as his tank, right? Otherwise you're dropping saltwater organisms on the rock into freshwater and that'll kill quite a bit off. Ideally you can transport the rock in damp newspaper, just take a...
  11. A

Ok, to cover your questions: LR/Sand - Good idea. I'd still let it sit a day or two just to be totally on the safe side before stocking, but with only a half hour of air time that's not too big an issue, with the basic assumption that your water is very close in salinity, pH, and temp to his...
  12. A

You'd still need to cycle, but the time would be much less. Are you talking using only LR/substrate out of an existing tank or mixing it with dry stuff to seed it? If you took all dry rock/substrate, you might take a month to fully cycle. If you took some dry/some live, which most people do...
  13. A

How to kill Aiptasia?

Just keep your eyes on the spots you used it on, there are some who use it, get really great results, then a couple weeks to a couple months later notice aiptasia back in the exact same spot they shot one up in. I haven't used it, so I can't say how/why or if this is normal, I just know I've...
  14. A

Blue Mushroom Sizes

Lots of photosynthetics respond similarily, the lower the light the more surface area they need to present to the light and vice versa. I believe that has some influence on why some species can be found in branching forms in low water and plate forms deeper down if I remember right.
  15. A

Water from shop

Or they let their membranes and DI resin go well past when it should be changed.
  16. A

Does anyone have these books??

Pretty much my bible for talking coral around here. I tend to double-check myself against it all the time. Heck, my copy is right next to the computer for just that reason.
  17. A

Cycing Progress

Good to hear!
  18. A

How to take care of sea anemone?

Just so you're aware, nems have a slow metabolism. So while it might be looking ok to you right now, it potentially could already be stressing out and starting death gasps. Their metabolism can sometimes take up to two weeks for signs of stress to show after the damage is already done. So when...
  19. A

Worms??

They can swim to a limited extent, really more of a floating along the current type thing, but they are often found running on rocks, in substrate, along the glass, etc.
  20. A

Worms??

Sounds like small bristle worms or amphi/iso/copepods (depending on size). Here's bristleworm for comparison: And a pod: For scale, bristle worms can be the size of a pencil lead in a mechanical pencil, or up to 3/4" around and several feet long. A pod is usually 1-2mm wide at most in a...