Lost my first animals....

Bathtub

I found a crab out of my cuc today (those that have followed my background know this is a unusually big deal. Water params are all good, no other creature seems stressed, the only thing I did different was use aptasia x, and a bit of marine putty to sure up rock work....
He was old, and had been in BAD water conditions before my tank, but has anyone heard of aptasia x hurting crabs?
I have a big glass anemone problem, the peppermints don't get close to addressing it, so I see little choice....
Thoughts welcomed .....

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Stuff happens for which we'll never know the reason. might have even been an unsuccessful molt. :( With all of the Aiptasia-X I've used in the last 2 weeks (over a bottle) it hasn't affected my emerald.

A couple of ideas on the Aiptasia..... Not sure if you can get these in the UK:

Berghia Nudibranch Breeder, Berghia Verrucicornis Kill Aiptasia Anemones to Control Aiptasia

Copperband Butterfiles might eat them, but can be a difficult fish.

Filefish (Acreichthys tomentosus):

Jade Filefish, Hairfinned Leatherjacket - Paramonacanthus japonicus

Bathtub

Ok... I may be going mad.... The crab may have just molted.... We can see his old shell and it seems he has legs and feelers moving happily (definately not current)....
He may just have been hiding to molt.....
.... I hope!!! ....

Bathtub

Now worried the little blighted is stuck, and it's in the foundation of live rock! I fed him tonight on liquid feed (the bright orange stuff, syringe and air tube) and he took some in, but hasn't come out of rock.
I tried to "encourage" him but took a bit of a hit on my arm from a coral, so it's down to him now....
Took some photos today to share, will upload tomorrow ( SLOW Internet)- tank is looking good given the circumstances...

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Crabs & shrimp usually hide out for a while, after a molt, while their soft new shell hardens up - maybe that's what it's doing?

clka

Don't know if this idea might help, but one of my most useful tank "tools" has been an extra long straw I made by inserting one end of a straw into a 2nd one. It has the bendy part on one end which sometimes can get me into spots down in the rocks I couldn't otherwise reach (also good for flipping snails). The thicker, longer straws work better, but basic ones do ok.

Keeping my fingers crossed for the little guy!

Cheryl

Bathtub

Well I made the bendy straw "pro reef tool" (think we can sell them for $20 with that name?) and approached the tank....
It could not have been funnier- the crab was out and front centre of the tank looking straight at me! :) :) :).
He looks great .....
Thanks to all for their sympathy and then support to such a great outcome on this one "the situation" is back in action....