Cycing Progress

I would NOT recommend Petco for fish purchases other than damsels and some inverts, but only if the inverts look/act healthy. Every Petco I've been in has really discusting looking sw tanks and the staff is not knowledgable about sw fish. As for supplies.... I just go to the lfs and Walmart for my filter cartidges......

For the most part I agree with you about Petco. The ones I have been to that have saltwater tanks Honestly look horrible. But the one down the road from my house is a little different the staff seems to be involved and know a thing or 2.

With that said I also think I finally found a very good fish store near work (about 45-1hour away from home). I did a Google search yesterday for LFS near me and found what I would say is the best store I have been in to date. Their store was so clean, livestock looked Great, staff was friendly, and the prices were not outrageous. I swung by to pick up some copper power for the tomato. I am pretty sure he came down with Ich. So at the moment he is in QT in a 10Gal tank. Hopefully he does OK. Either way I walked out of that store feeling like they did a great job earning a customer.

Another note.. the Brown\dark colored stuff I was worried about is more than likely some sort of algea my snails seem to finally be cleaning it off.

Looks like whatever was on the rock was some sort of Algea my snails finally decided it was time to clean that rock up. The smell I was smelling I think was from a film on top of my water. I moved my power head up a little more to break the water and the smell seems to be going away. I also added Carbon in a "sock" gonna let that run for 2-3 days then remove it.

Here is a picture of it before..

IMG_1742.JPG

And a picture of it as of this morning.

IMAG0249.jpg

So this weekend I while cleaning the glass I noticed these little white dots... They almost resemble tiny snowflakes.

Hydroids? Good Bad? Hopefully good...

IMAG0264.jpg

Adalius

Hrm, snowflake in shape? Then possibly, which is nothing to worry about. If you mean snowflake just in size/color, then they could be pods or spiroid worms as well. Also both good to see.

Hrm, snowflake in shape? Then possibly, which is nothing to worry about. If you mean snowflake just in size/color, then they could be pods or spiroid worms as well. Also both good to see.

Here is a MS Paint version of what i see.. Instead of black tho they are white and very very small in size.

Stuffonglass.jpg

IMAG0264.jpg

ChrisOaty

I had a lot of those in my tank's younger months. Perfectly normal. If you look closely you may see them in your water column. They're kinda cool...look like little jelly fish floating around almost.

kospaintball

on those pictures of the lr earlier, i have the exact same thing. we started our tanks at almost the exact same time. It seemed to spread across the rock and then as soon as it had come it bleached out and has left this white skelton on the rock. As far as i can tell its a dark coralline type aglae. I have some of the bright pink/purple growing fine in the tank but all of this darker type stuff seems to be making an exit.

I haven't really updated in a while.

But everything is going well. The tank is a little over 2 months old now. The CUC is doing well. I am going fishless for now... Ended up giving the fish that I had away to go fish less for a few months. I added a skunk shrimp and a few Hermit crabs and 2 Turbo snails. They have really done a number on the rock. I modified my Oddysea fixture. I replaced the Ballast and did some re-wiring yesterday with an IceCap 660. The lighting is so much better. I also have a MH + Ballast that I have not wired in yet. Nitrates, Nitrites, and Amonia are all good. I am starting to see small feather dusters in the tank and my astreas look like they are getting a descent size.

I am happy to report my tank is doing well. :)