How to kill Aiptasia?

ishharris

Has been struck by the ban stick
What is the easiest way to kill these pesky things? I saw mentions of lemon juice injected into them. Does that really work?

Alien2100

Lemon juice can work, however it's tricky, you have to use a syringe and it has to be injected into directly into there body. Since Aiptasia will retract from just about anything they see as a threat getting the needle into them is not always easy. And normally you will have to retreat the same one over and over because you missed it. An easier method would be Aiptasia X, Aiptasia see this more as a food, and while it can be trick too, it works much better than lemon juice.

swissgaurd

i makeup a kalkwasser paste ,put it into a seinge and blow it on them,the aptasia swallows it and then dies,it melts away.also the addition of peppermint shrimp keeps them in check.

vic

Corailline

If the aiptasia is isolated to one rock I recommend removing the rock and either using a paste made of kalkwasser, or just plain lemon juice and treating that area and then using super glue or epoxy to cover the area directly where the aiptasia is. If you do treat in the tank turn off the pumps as you treat and leave them off for about 5 to 10 minutes. You really want to effectively treat the aiptasia as soon as you see one or else you will be seeing many more of them. If you do not do it correctly the first time they will come back in greater numbers in a few weeks. Joes Juice and aiptasia x are just some type of base product that you can reprpduce in your home using kalk or lye, yeap it is a gimmick.

rdwilson91

I think the 'easiest' way is to use a peppermint shrimp or a bristle-tailed filefish. I'm using the filefish and he doesn't touch any of my corals, but keeps aiptasia in check.
However, poison might not be as easy, but the conventional methods should be used first. If they fail (like they did for me), then rely on a fish or shrimp as a last resort.

Adalius

I guess I'm a little opposite from rdwilson. Personally, I support using biological rather than chemical means whenever possible as the first attempt. So that would be the peppermint shrimp or filefish listed above, or the copperband butterfly or berghia nudibranch. If none of those options fly with you because of cost, availability, they conflict with other species in the tank, will get too large for the tank, or you don't want the nudi to starve and die when it's done, at that point I'd consider chemical warfare.

As mentioned above, you can inject them with lemon juice, aiptasia X or other similar pre-mixed chemicals designed for this purpose, kalkwasser, etc. Also as mentioned above, and what I've had the best luck with especially on larger ones, is making the kalk paste. You make it nice and thick, slather it on the aiptasia, careful not to get any on anything you want to live, and just let it sit on there. You can put the rock back in the tank, the paste is thick enough it won't float away or anything, and it'll dissolve into the water over time just like kalk dosing. Because the paste is on them and thick, as they melt away there's usually nothing left behind, no foot to grow a new one or anything.

Corailline

Oh and NOTE: Kalkwasser will effect the pH of your tank and calcium levels so use it in moderation. And most treatments for aiptasia will also burn any nearby corals if you get any on them or close to them.

Peppermint shrimp come with their own problems as well. They DO eat other types of anemones and corals and need close supervision. Make sure you get true peppermint shrimp if you go that route and not camel shrimp, they are almost identical.

fishhead

i makeup a kalkwasser paste ,put it into a seinge and blow it on them,the aptasia swallows it and then dies,it melts away.also the addition of peppermint shrimp keeps them in check.

vic

This was my preferred method when I had them as well. I would use a needle and inject at the base first as well. But calcium hydroxide makes a lote more sense than lemon juice to me. I also didn't want to treat the entire tank with an additive if I didn't have to. ^%#* those weeds!

fishhead

Oh and NOTE: Kalkwasser will effect the pH of your tank and calcium levels so use it in moderation. And most treatments for aiptasia will also burn any nearby corals if you get any on them or close to them.

Peppermint shrimp come with their own problems as well. They DO eat other types of anemones and corals and need close supervision. Make sure you get true peppermint shrimp if you go that route and not camel shrimp, they are almost identical.

Actually the calcium added from a blob of kalk is minimal, and a pH swing is also unlikely, unless of course it is a pico tank, and poorly buffered. I know when I dose with kalk, i will generally drip a 1.5 tsp/gal mixture. This doesn't add much Ca or change overall pH when done at night. A few mg into the tank really makes little difference for a good sized tank. That's what I've noticed.

Corailline

This is for someone treating MANY aiptasia and those that might not be familar with the chemistry related to it, it is intended as a general note. Not for "oh but".

r2d2

Yesterday I use for first time Joe's juice and let me tell you that is was amazing, just one single drop to erase it within 2 seconds.... just 2 seconds and aptasia was gone.
Im still amazed...

Kingumar

Yesterday I use for first time Joe's juice and let me tell you that is was amazing, just one single drop to erase it within 2 seconds.... just 2 seconds and aptasia was gone.
Im still amazed...

+1
i bought it yesterday and it is amazing. i was putting a little too much but just one little drop can do the trick. Im sure i killed every single one in the tank.

The BAD: one of the anemone was on the rock right above my frogspawn and i accidentally pressed it too hard the first time and some of the chemical went over the frogspawn. Right now the frogspawn is getting ready to die, ill take it out tomorrow when its completely dead.
So just make sure that you done get any corals, otherwise its pretty much reef safe. Turn all powerheads off, etc.

Adalius

Just keep your eyes on the spots you used it on, there are some who use it, get really great results, then a couple weeks to a couple months later notice aiptasia back in the exact same spot they shot one up in. I haven't used it, so I can't say how/why or if this is normal, I just know I've seen this scenario posted time and time again.

sbutts

Lemon juice can work, however it's tricky, you have to use a syringe and it has to be injected into directly into there body. Since Aiptasia will retract from just about anything they see as a threat getting the needle into them is not always easy. And normally you will have to retreat the same one over and over because you missed it. An easier method would be Aiptasia X, Aiptasia see this more as a food, and while it can be trick too, it works much better than lemon juice.

So once you use AiptasiaX do you have to remove the Aiptasia or do they just desolve? I used it once and they kinda got really tiny and looked like jelly but 4 months later, right back to the way the were. Thanks for any help.

Alien2100

sbutts,
You don't have to remove the Aiptasia when treating with Aiptasia X. What happens when treated correctly is the Aiptasia will consume the product and it's oral disc, or mouth will be closed up by the glue like effect of the product, and then the Aiptasia literally implodes and melts away over time. The sealing of the mouth keeps it from spewing out any larva into the water column that could later spread. Now let me state what I mean when I say "treated correctly" the Aiptasia have to eat the product, or it has to seal there mouth. If it only lands on them or scares them into hiding, it will not work. An Aiptasia is an anemone and you have to realize what you see is only the top of there body, the base is often hidden deep in the rock your treating, and if they retract in, all that happens is the product irritates them, and a few days to a week later there back. However if they eat it or it seals there oral disc, there done for and gone for good.
Most likely when you treated the Aiptasia it only landed on it, and in defence it pulled in or retracted, and once the product was washed off it's body it was able to come out of hiding.
I've used this product for years with no adverse affect to corals or fish, and some of my fish have even eaten it, which I don't like, but it has happened. And everyone stays in perfect health. I've had it land on a few corals now and then as well, and while the coral may retract for a day or two it comes back without any problems. It can be a tricky product to use at times however I will say it's the best I've found. Treating large, reachable, easy to see, Aiptasia with Aiptasia X is simple, it's treating the small ones or hard to reach ones that's a real pain. This is why I personally also have a few Peppermint Shrimp as well, although even these guys are no guarantee. They normally will loose interest in Aiptasia when presented with another food source.
Best tips I can give you when using Aiptasia X:
Turn off all pumps during treatment, and I normally leave mine off for at least 30min after treating as well.
Go slowly, you don't want to scare them into hiding.
Make sure the syringe is working smoothly, sometimes it will stick and it causes a large amount of the product squirt out. Which normally just scares the Aiptasia.
If your treating one that's hard or impossible to reach with the small syringe, try to length the tube. (what I did was used an old plastic RC antenna, slide it over the needle with a dab of super glue to hold it in place, and you now have a 12" needle)
Check your sump and overflow box for Aiptasia as well.
Watch this video too...
http://www.redseafish.com/show_movie.asp?product=296&type=high

Last edited:

ishharris

Has been struck by the ban stick
I think I will go with trying lemon juice and buying some peppermint shrimp as well. Thanks for the advice everyone.

yvr

Whenever I see any Aiptasias in my tanks, I inject TM Elimi-Aiptas directly into the stalk as opposed to into the mouth. I find that the product has a better kill rate when injected into the stalk rather than the mouth.