Temp???

David Shaw

80-82 here.

I did have a problem with the RSM stock skimmer adding a couple of degrees to the water temp, but as soon as i ditched that, then the temps fell back down.

Ambient room temperatures are obviously a factor too. In the summer i used to float frozen bottles of water in there to drop the temp down if it got too warm.

so would you say 85 is to high everything seems ok in there
only thing i have noticed is my file fish is not looking good i found it stuck to my skimmer gate yesterday and have not seen it since, i have done all the tests everything is good just the temp is a little high that wouldnt effect him would it

tnwillia

85 is to high for what "I" keep in my tank I think. Glenn (nanoreefing4fun) talks about temps in the low/mid 80's being OK, maybe PM him and see where he is on it. The temp stability is the main thing. Mind was running between 76 & 83 daily before I got my chiller. It sounds like your stable just higher. Others will jump in here to help you. Good luck!

David Shaw

I think 85, if that is a constant, is too high in the long term.

We all get gradual fluctuations up and down within a few degrees, but i personally wouldn't feel comfortable with 85 being the standard.

tnwillia

On your file Fish, here is a link to info from Live Aquaria, it shows all their listed File Fish temps rated 72-78 Deg F so I'd say your to warm for it. Good luck!

Tassle Filefish

tnwillia

I agree with David on 85. Have you tried leaving the front hood flap up and or a fan blowing across that front open area. There are things to try before getting a chiller. Good luck!

David Shaw

Toms suggestion will lower the temp a degree or 2, i have done that on hot days.

Be mindful you will get increased evaporation and you will need to top up with fresh r/o water so as not to increase the salinity.

magnetar68

In my house (where we don't like to use the heater or air con), I could not get my temp to be stable with just a heater once we got into the summer months. It would usually climb to 84F.

While it consumed my livestock budget for several months, I bit the bullet and bought a chiller (Oceanic 1/10) and now my tank stays within 76-77 degrees 24x7. I found that the tank does not smell at all at this temp were as at 84 degrees, the living room would smell a little like a fish tank.

clka

I keep my heater set at 79-80. With the little fan in the back on all summer, the tank goes up to about 82 max.

In the PocketExpertGuide to Marine Invertebrates, Ronald Shimek states that coral reefs around the world have temps between 78-86 with the average around 81. He writes "I consider the temperature range or 81 to 84 degrees F (27-29C) as the optimal and normal temperature to maintain all reef animals."

Cheryl

Adalius

There's lots of variables to balance here. Your stock should be the first thing. If you look at where they're from, and not just the geographic location, but also the depth, that should give you a temperature range per livestock. If you find a temperature that sits in each species range, then that's a good starting point.

Then you need to look at the pros/cons of higher or lower temperatures. For instance, if your species almost all would do good at 80, but one shouldn't be above 76, so you decide to drop down to 76, what's the trade off you're making?

By lowering temps you're decreasing your evap, slowing metabolism a touch which can decrease desired growth of corals but also decrease proliferation of any undesirable algae, diseases and parasites. It won't stop the growth of any of these things, it will only slow them down a touch. You're also saving money running cooler (if you're not using a chiller to do so).

If you run hot, you've got the opposite, you're increasing evaporation requiring more top offs, which is a minor issue for most. If you're using your heater to obtain the higher temp (rather than just latent heat from the lighting or surrounding air) then you're running up your electric bill, you're also increasing metabolism which increases growth of everything, good or bad.

So in the end, your goal should be to have your temperature set where the livestock requires it, any tweaking after that point is just personal preference.

Also, you'll see lots of books like clka mentioned that say things in the rough area of 78-86, but what I always fail to see mentioned is how deep they recorded the temperatures. Things like encrusting plate corals tend to come from deeper than branching corals, even if they're the same species, and this leads to two different temperature requirements as the temperature is different at 10' from what it is at 60-80' or further down.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
I will have to purchase a clip on fan or something like that to cool it down a little bit like I said all the coral seem to be fine and the fish seem ok apart from the file fish but he is old soaybe that's something to do with it.
One other thing is I get alot of algae on the glass quite quickly

will something like this do????
IMG_0370.png

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
I run 78-79. 85 does seem high in my opinion. I think that cooler water can also hold more oxygen. On a reef at 86 the water is still being oxygenated by waves, much more than can happen in our tanks.

I had a small filefish for a while but lost it. I got it as a possible natural eradicator of my Majano anemones, but he never touched them or any other food. Shortly before I lost him he would get stuck against the gate, as well as on the Vortech, as he wasn't what I would call an efficient swimmer, and didn't seem to do well in strong current (as with many "flat" fish). I think in my case it was starvation that weakened the poor fish and had him getting stuck on the pump & gate.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Jake the fan looks good. They have a dual unit like that too, which might also do the job. I'm not sure how/where you would place it. With a raised hood I have mine on the back lip. Just be sure it can't fall in the tank.