Question for people with tanks built into walls

Lee

I have been planning a 125g 6' tank that is going into a basement bar wall, and something just hit me:

Q: When your tank is build into a wall, how do you clean the tank? Normally when I do water changes, I use a siphon tube and vacuum up any loose cyano algae, and I sometimes scrape the front glass, etc. If my tank is behind a wall, it won't be possible to see what I'm doing. I'll be going at it blindly from the back, over what is undoubtedly going to be a big wall of rock...

How do you guys do your water changes? Do you skip the target siphoning or are there some good tricks/techniques that I should know about?

jpsika08

I have a in-wall tank, but, behind the tank there is the fishroom where I have enough space to do what is necessary for full tank maintenance.

Will you leave space behind it in order to install, sump, equipment and maintain it? Maybe a quick sketch of your idea can help.

Lee

I have a in-wall tank, but, behind the tank there is the fishroom where I have enough space to do what is necessary for full tank maintenance.

Will you leave space behind it in order to install, sump, equipment and maintain it? Maybe a quick sketch of your idea can help.

Sorry, I probably could have done a better job explaining it. I have a sketchup model of the entire basement plan, but for some reason, sketchup is crashing my computer, so a real photo will have to suffice

As you can see, there is a big utility room behind the tank, and that will house my storage tanks, RO unit, sump, etc. But when I'm doing water changes, I won't be able to stand in front of the tank. In fact, I won't be able to reach into the tank from the front at all. This will make glass scraping and algae siphoning very difficult, since when I'm behind the tank, I won't be able to see the display portion very well.

TrGC5.jpg

Adalius

A good mag scraper can be used from the front for the majority of your glass cleaning issues. Depending on how deep your tank is you might have more visibility than you'd suspect when working from a ladder or from the sides. Also, as that appears to be a non load-bearing wall, you could opt to put some access doors in above the front of the tank. Make them look like cabinets if you're using any wood for the bar...

JGard911

Looks like a great setup. I just built my 150 gallon into a wall with access from the rear.
I use large mag-float magnetic glass aquarium cleaner to clean the front glass.

Magnetic Glass Aquarium Cleaner > Large (Float 350)

One other thing I did that I think is a good idea is I used azec trim (pvc wood) to frame the tank opening so that any moisture or salt creep that built up above the tank where it goes thru the wall wouldn't deteriorate wood.

Jim

jpsika08

You will not need to see the tank from behind to clean the front glass, I got a Mag Float which I use for cleaning on the front, in case you got visits and don't want them to see it just remove it.

You have enough space as I can see in the picture to work around and inside the tank.

Hope you begin a thread with us and share the build :)

Sorry, I probably could have done a better job explaining it. I have a sketchup model of the entire basement plan, but for some reason, sketchup is crashing my computer, so a real photo will have to suffice

As you can see, there is a big utility room behind the tank, and that will house my storage tanks, RO unit, sump, etc. But when I'm doing water changes, I won't be able to stand in front of the tank. In fact, I won't be able to reach into the tank from the front at all. This will make glass scraping and algae siphoning very difficult, since when I'm behind the tank, I won't be able to see the display portion very well.

TrGC5.jpg

This is exactly the setup I have. You get used to cleaning the front glass in a few months.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I like Jim's suggesting for Azec around the tank but I also like to see "Treated" lumber used in conjunction with composite materials.

I like (no I LOVE) my Mag-Flip algae scraper and feel like this application would be GREAT for it.

That's going to be a SWEET set-up! Can't wait to see it come together :)

Re: Water Change - the majority of your work other than scraping etc will be conducted from the mechanical area and within the sump. You may already know this but I'm tossing it out there just in case :)

Robzilla

You could shut off anything that creates surface aggitation as well so you could get a better view above the water. Cant wait to see it!!!

Lee

Looks like a great setup. I just built my 150 gallon into a wall with access from the rear.
I use large mag-float magnetic glass aquarium cleaner to clean the front glass.

Magnetic Glass Aquarium Cleaner > Large (Float 350)

One other thing I did that I think is a good idea is I used azec trim (pvc wood) to frame the tank opening so that any moisture or salt creep that built up above the tank where it goes thru the wall wouldn't deteriorate wood.

Jim

Yeah I have a Mag-Float glass cleaner, but I still have to go in manually and scrape the front glass every so often. I get these small green spots that the magnet won't remove... I think what I will really need is a few hundred bucks worth of tank cleaners! I have very few in the tank anymore

That is a good idea for the frame, although my current plan calls for the tank to actually sit behind the wall; not IN the wall. The rough opening is the exact dimensions of the tank, which I will then trim out with maple trim, so there will be a 5" ledge approximately

Lee

You will not need to see the tank from behind to clean the front glass, I got a Mag Float which I use for cleaning on the front, in case you got visits and don't want them to see it just remove it.

You have enough space as I can see in the picture to work around and inside the tank.

Hope you begin a thread with us and share the build :)

I'm getting ready to kick the project into high gear, so hopefully soon I will have some more to show, and do a classic build thread

KARussell88

Really as long as you follow the saltwater rules, your tank should stay clean enough so that a mag float should be able to clean the little bits of film algae everyone gets.
You really shouldn't have to see much to siphon, and cyano shouldn't be happening if your sticking to the rules.
All I'm saying is if your doing the necessary "other things", then your tank should stay clean enough so a mag float and a tiny bit of siphoning is all you need.

Lee

Really as long as you follow the saltwater rules, your tank should stay clean enough so that a mag float should be able to clean the little bits of film algae everyone gets.
You really shouldn't have to see much to siphon, and cyano shouldn't be happening if your sticking to the rules.
All I'm saying is if your doing the necessary "other things", then your tank should stay clean enough so a mag float and a tiny bit of siphoning is all you need.

Haha, ok that's good to hear. Right now, I'm definitely not following "the rules." Three or four years ago, I had probably 50 snails total, a bunch of hermit crabs, etc. Then the crabs slowly killed all the snails, stole their shells, and died. So now I have like a half dozen snails.

My new tank is likely going to start from scratch with livestock, so I'll make sure cleaners are a priority.