Cleaning sexy rounded curves

Bathtub

One of the things I guess we all love about our RSM tanks is the look, but I am getting some tricky to clean algea in the front corners of the tank on the rounded cornets. Does anyone have any good tricks to clean round these lovely corners?
Appciatte the help.
Roy

clka

I use the white acrylic tank cleaning pads on the glass as my final step, they are very soft and do a good job on the rounded corners with a little scrubbing.

Cheryl

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
I found a SS tablespoon to work pretty good on coralline in the corners. After seeing a few tanks crack in the corners I stopped cleaning them.

Adalius

...Bwah? Mr. Clean Magic Erasers have water activated chemicals on them, and you're using them in the tank?
128762338715569008.jpg

The MSDS sheet lists:
Formaldehyde-Melamine-Sodium bisulfite copolymer

None of which I'd want to go throwing in my tank willy nilly...

Dweezil

Formaldehyde is not and has never been an ingredient in Magic Eraser. One ingredient in Magic Eraser (formaldehyde-melamine-sodium bisulfite copolymer) contains the word "formaldehyde" in its chemical name. However, this ingredient is not formaldehyde and poses no health or safety risks. (Think of this name like "sodium chloride", which is table salt. Sodium by itself can be dangerous, but sodium chloride - salt - is safe.). This is from a link on chemicals in the home. I have done some research on this myself.

I have been using them for almost a year with no effects whatsoever. If your not comfortable with that I completely understand so just don't use it.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Adalius - I've seen posts by lots of people using the Magic Eraser in the tank - no problems. I think BigAl07 has used it too. Tammy is correct - it's a chemically reacted compound containing formaldehyde molecule - not free formaldehyde. The sodium and chlorine that make salt are each deadly poisons, but not as sodium chloride (table salt). Same principle.

Tammy - does it remove coralline?

Dweezil

Terry ~ It has in my case but I always get to it very early before it has a chance to get thick. :)

Adalius

I never said it was free floating formaldahyde, it just seems totally against every instinct I have to put a water soluble cleaning agent in my tank.

I'm not doubting people have used them successfully, I'm just in utter disbelief I guess because, like I said, goes against every instinct in my body.

To use your own sodium chloride analogy...
You say sodium is dangerous, and chloride is dangerous, and sodium chloride is safe so we use it in our tank. But you also leave out that sodium chloride is commonly occurring in natural sea water. Remind me where can I find Formaldehyde-Melamine-Sodium bisulfite copolymer in abundance in the ocean, again? :p Again, not trying to start an argument and if nobody has had any issues with them, cool cool, just like I said, makes the hairs stand up on end on my arms just thinking about it :p

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I've been using a Magic Eraser in my tank(s) for almost 4 years now. It has NO chemical that are released into the tank. (formaldehyde-melamine-sodium bisulfite copolymer) is completely INERT substance. I've accidentally left one IN the tank for over month with NO ill effects and even my skimmer didn't know it was in there (Don't ASK . . . :nono:) LOL

The "M/E" doesn't clean by chemical reactions it cleans because of it's texture. It's amazing "aggressive" while still feeling like a soft facial sponge. In fact the ONLY real danger is that on harder things like built up corallilne algae it can break into small pieces that can be ingested. If it scrapes the glass so good I'd imagine it's gonna do less than GREAT things to a fish's digestive tract.

I use a razor blade on my NanoCube (it's GLASS) to get old coralline off and then the M/E takes care of the rest!

Also a Nimble Nano scraper is AMAZING. Small enough to get into MANY spaces larger ones can't and with practice does a pretty good job in rounded edges.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Thanks for the great information BigAl! I have a Nimble Nano in a small tank, but I also like the TLF Nano Mag.