Search results

1. Jerome

Do hermit crabs eat zoas?

What kind of hermits crab do you have there are 100 genera. Some species can be very opportunistic. That said I doubt there the cause. They were probably gathering around it to eat the die off or something else in the vicinity. The shipping and handle of corals through the collectors to...
  2. Jerome

How long do you leave your lighting on?

I would have to ask my controller and it's busy right now.
  3. Jerome

Red Alert! 100 Gal reef tank crashing!

He tested the ammonia 0 before and after the the last fish died. And again there is no sand bed he has a bear bottom tank. I think we are going to tear down and start over. :cry1: Seem no way of figuring this one out.
  4. Jerome

Red Alert! 100 Gal reef tank crashing!

I helped my brother set up his 100 gallon reef tank about 10 months ago. He's running metal halides, Tunze protein skimmer and wave box, calcium reactor, refugium, no sand, and his tank did great for 9 months. Two months ago, while he was on vacation, his RO top off unit leaked at a joint into...
  5. Jerome

Help! Glass or Acrylic?

I enjoy my acrylic tank, and agree bare bottom reduces the possibility of scratches; you just have to be careful. I have scratched acrylic tanks before and it only takes 10 minutes to remove them in my experience. I also have had glass tanks which you still can scratch and if you do there...
  6. Jerome

Great Barrier Reef corals and fish

Been trying to set up a tank with a replication of a natural section of Indo-Pacidfic reef it's amazing how little information is out there about specific sp. and their natural habitat on a reef for both fish and corals. I found a book called Marine Aquarium Companion of Southeast Asia been a...
  7. Jerome

Rubble zone reef tank..?

I have taken down my old 50 gallon SPS/mixed reef tank and am setting up a new 100 gallon reef tank. I am basing my set up on Scott Michael’s book Reef Fishes. I want to set a more natural (artificial) tank that represents a specific part of the reef. I have done lots of research mainly out...
  8. Jerome

Blenny Hurt

My bi-color blenny has a nasty looking wound below his head on his back. It seems to have scabbed over and its out and feeding so I leaving him alone and believe that he will fully recover. I have had the same fish for years and have never seen any other fish harass him in any way before or...
  9. Jerome

Tunze ballast soundling like a smoke alarm?

I read the directions when I got home cleaned the impellor its been fine ever since
  10. Jerome

Tunze ballast soundling like a smoke alarm?

This morning when I woke up my Tunze Wavemaker’s ballast sounded like a smoke alarm so I unplugged it. Anyone know why? I am still at work was wondering if anyone could give me some helpful information. I will look at the manual when I get hope. Thanks for any advice I can get…
  11. Jerome

Recipe

I have been using Liquid Life Marine Plankton Cycolpeeze was wondering if there is a recipe to duplicate it? Was thinking Cycolpeeze + Salt Water + Selcon mixed together and kept frozen as this is how Liquid Life Marine Plankton Cycolpeeze recommends there product is stored. I was thinking...
  12. Jerome

Update

It’s been a long time since I have posted graduate school, work, and fish tank taking up all my time, but things are slowing down a tiny bit. For those of you who have forgotten I have a 50 gallon reef tank including 15 gallon refugia and 20 gallon sump. 2 - 10k MHs and 2 – 65watt...
  13. Jerome

Changing Calcium Reactor Problem

Hey everyone its been ages since I have a chance to post my life been accelerated lately also know as been way to busy. So, I waited till I had a problem to sponge some free advice. I been running my 60 gallon reef (sps) for a long time with a Deltec 509 Calcium Reactor and a Deltec...
  14. Jerome

Who has tried the 15k XM bulbs?

My XM 10 k burn white, the problem with bulbs are the variations from one to another. Many times I have seen two identical bulbs produce different color.
  15. Jerome

Interceptor? HELP!

The site ask for a Rx number in order to get this product. I wonder how closely they check? I really don't want to fake and do something illegal, but I don't want to hurt my corals either.
  16. Jerome

Interceptor? HELP!

I lost my half Inceptor pill which is by veterarian perscription only medicine to treat acro red bugs. I went to my local vet and asked for some and explained what I wanted to use it for but they wouldn't give me the time of day (coral haters!). I heard you could order it from Canada without a...
  17. Jerome

power heads

I use Seios on my tank and haven't had any trouble from them.
  18. Jerome

wave maker

Consider a Tunze Wavebox for a tank that large it would be great!
  19. Jerome

Lighting and Coraline Algae

What I was thinking but does any know what the ratio is? Maybe someone who uses MH and has coraline algae growth could post bulb, wattage, color tempature and distance from the water surface that might help.
  20. Jerome

Frustration after 4 months

I don't know if I would worry to much about the ph at 8.0 if the dkh is 11 that sounds find to me as long as the "swing" at night when ph tends to drop is okay. As far as co2 I have never heard of atmospheric co2 being to high for the tank in a house. If you think your co2 is to high make...