Changing Calcium Reactor Problem

Jerome

Hey everyone its been ages since I have a chance to post my life been accelerated lately also know as been way to busy. So, I waited till I had a problem to sponge some free advice.

I been running my 60 gallon reef (sps) for a long time with a Deltec 509 Calcium Reactor and a Deltec Kalkwasser stirrer. I have had continuing issues with my calcium reactor it need constatnt adjustments and the pump broke on it several times.

So, I decided and did by a Litermeter and am switing to a the two part additive system my tank is small so the cost seemed worth it. I already have a litermeter dosing pump and can say from experience they last forever.

I took off my calicium reactor and my ph has shot through (8.53 during the day) the roof and my dkh has dropped to 6 dhk. THe calcium level is still good at 450

I understand why this occured no more co2 supressing the ph and my alklinity delivery system is now gone but I can't use the 2 part because the alk portion raises ph (so I have started dosing it yet) and I have cut way back on the kalkwasser agian because of the ph being to high. I havent done much about though, I am just letting the system run and hoping it comes into balance on it's own.

So anyone have their two cents worth? Should I try to raise the DKH (bi carbonate) and if so whith what? Something that won't add to the raised ph levels.

My hope is that in week or so my ph will drop to 8.4 and my dkh will raise to 7 or 8 but until then I am not adding anything to my system. I am waiting for the ph to drop and monitoring the calcium and alklinity levels.

Any advice?

All the coral and animals "appear" fine but that doesnt mean a lot in my experience they are probably stressed and the less seem the better course or action but maybe someone else has wisdom to part to my situation.

meandean45

Hello Jerome!
I use "Seachem Reef builder" to raise my alkalinity without raising my pH. It doesn't seem to affect pH IME, and the container says "Reef Builder raises carbonate alkalinity without immediately(my underlining) impacting on pH". It also says "With long term use there will be a tendency to stabilize at pH 8.3." This stuff may get you where you want to go.
IME just leaving things alone and doing regular water changes seems to be the best way to get water parameters back where they belong. If it were my tank, I think I'd go the "watch and wait route" until I was sure that I needed to add something. I try not to add anything if I don't have to, just skim and run my de-nitrator and phosphate reactor.
Hope this helps you decide.
Regards,
Dean

JaxReef

i second the use of seachem reef builder. Mix it well and add it to the display, not the sump. For some reason it wont raise alk when i dose it in the sump