Who has tried the 15k XM bulbs?

Gina

RS STAFF
It’s time to get another set of bulbs. My last purchase was a set of 10k XM bulbs. I have been very disappointed with the color. I was under the impression they would produce a nice white color without actinics. Much to my horror they were pretty yellow. They were bad enough in my opinion that I sent them back to the XM people to have them checked. They tested them and determined they were running within specs. They never did burn in any whiter.

Now I’m looking for something whiter without getting too blue. I have been thinking about the 15k XM, some kind of 12k bulb or maybe a 10k Ushio.

All opinions welcome

Mark

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF

cecilio

Hi Gina
The Same Happened To Me With The 10000k They Look Too Yellow; I Change To Phoenix 14000k From Home Depot And Im Extremelly Happy They Have A Very Nice White, Bet You Will Like Them Too, Corals Are Growing Well Too

Jerome

My XM 10 k burn white, the problem with bulbs are the variations from one to another. Many times I have seen two identical bulbs produce different color.

mopecula

cecilio said:
Hi Gina
The Same Happened To Me With The 10000k They Look Too Yellow; I Change To Phoenix 14000k From Home Depot And Im Extremelly Happy They Have A Very Nice White, Bet You Will Like Them Too, Corals Are Growing Well Too
What Home Depot carries these? Phoenix 14000k

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
Gina said:
It’s time to get another set of bulbs. My last purchase was a set of 10k XM bulbs. I have been very disappointed with the color. I was under the impression they would produce a nice white color without actinics. Much to my horror they were pretty yellow. They were bad enough in my opinion that I sent them back to the XM people to have them checked. They tested them and determined they were running within specs. They never did burn in any whiter.

Now I’m looking for something whiter without getting too blue. I have been thinking about the 15k XM, some kind of 12k bulb or maybe a 10k Ushio.

All opinions welcome

Mark

Gina you received a bad bulb ! I sent mine back to hellolights and they replaced it. I need to buy a new bulb also and would like something a little more blue with good PAR ratings anyone know of any ???:rollingey

Gina

RS STAFF
cheeks69 said:
Gina you received a bad bulb ! I sent mine back to hellolights and they replaced it. I need to buy a new bulb also and would like something a little more blue with good PAR ratings anyone know of any ???:rollingey
I thought they were bad also so I sent them back to the XM people and they tested them and they said they were within specs. The funny thing is I think they sent back a different set than what I sent them. The bulbs I got back were just as yellow. I assumed that was just the way they are or there was a problem with the ballast.

I looked into a few bulbs and ended up ordering another set of XM 10k bulbs. Our main problem here is 175watt ballast. Since lighting is marginal to start with I didn't want to sacrifice much on PAR so I just went with the same XMs again. I ordered them a few days ago and had them here when I got home today.

This set is nice and white. I'm real please right now. I will see how they look as they burn in.

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
Woodstock said:
Make sure the nipples are facing upwards too Gina.

Richard Harker:

There are hobbyists that are convinced that orientation matters and insist that they have observed the effect themselves. We also have hobbyists that are equally convinced that regardless of their bulbs' orientation they produce the same color of light. Given the number of variables involved in lighting including the type of bulb, the age of the bulb, the ballast, wiring, and the hostile environment of a reef tank, both groups are probably correct. Under certain sets of circumstances it might be possible for some metal halide bulbs to appear yellow. Furthermore, reorienting the bulb may change the color of the light. However, with the data gathered so far, it is difficult if not impossible to predict under what circumstances and conditions this might occur let alone determine whether reorienting the bulb will solve the problem.

Gina XM gave me the same story but once I mentioned that there were several threads on reefing forums about a bad batch of XM's he changed his tune and had Hellolights replace the bulb.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Robert, I noticed a significant difference with my Hamilton 10k bulbs when the nipple was down vs up. It was very yellow when pointing down. JME. I burn ALL bulbs with the nipple up now.

Gina

RS STAFF
We received our new lights today. XM 10k and I was shocked to see the difference! Mark thought our lights were old when in fact I checked tonight and found out they are not even a year old and that's why he ordered them but, now I am thrilled with these!

They are so white compared to our other ones and they are the same XM's!
I find it amusing that I could be so happy over lights! LOL

Sorry for the double post kinda. Mark posted the last post.

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
Woodstock said:
Robert, I noticed a significant difference with my Hamilton 10k bulbs when the nipple was down vs up. It was very yellow when pointing down. JME. I burn ALL bulbs with the nipple up now.

I do to...lol
From what I understand it can go either way so check to see the intensity before you decide which way to go.

swissgaurd

im currently running iwasakis 400 watt bulbs.
im thinkin of going to the 400 15k XM
im using the recommended ballast which is mercury vapour i do believe
do you think there would be a problem running these bulbs as they are both probe bulbs.

thanks
vic