The Nano is dead. Long Live THE 23!!!

Uslanja

We haven't started attacking the clavularia in earnest yet, but when we do we are going to try large amounts of GAC first and see if that has an effect. The reason we are holding off is because another member here on Reef Sanctuary contacted us and would like some of this "PURPLE DEVIL" for their tank! So.... we dropped a piece of rubble smack dab in the middle of this "PURPLE MONSTER" in the hopes that it will spread onto it. It has spread everywhere else so we see no reason why it won't spread onto the rubble. We are always willing to help a person out but we're feeling guilty about shipping this "DEAMON CLAVULARIA"!!!! This thing is evil and will take over your tank. We strongly suggest that it be kept tightly sealed in the bag!!! In fact... double bag it!!! Seriously.... we have read where some folks can't keep this coral but in our tank it is so invasive a person could sit and watch it spread.

The rubble hit the EVIL ONE today; September 27 2011, at 16:00 hrs. Eastern Standard Time. Wonder how long it is going to take to cover the rubble?

IMG_8409_edited-1.jpg

soco

Wow those are some amazing pics, and i agree with the others pics of that plate coral are never tiring.

Uslanja

We fed the tank tonight and the plate really plumped up and extended it's tentacles. The tentacles are almost see through.

IMG_8417_edited-1.jpg

Uslanja

Tracy's Yuma.

IMG_8420_edited-1.jpg

The Yuma came on one of those real ugly frag disks and when we saw the Yuma move off and onto the reef we were ecstatic! Finally!! We can get rid of that frag plug.... but wait..... can it be..... oh no........ yup.... it's another Yuma starting from a small piece that was left behind! Darn..... looks like the fugly plug gets to stay a while longer!

IMG_8422_edited-2.jpg

Tracy's zoa rock is predominantly covered with green zoa's. But at one end there are a couple of orange zoas. I'm not sure if I like the orange ones better or if they just catch my attention because there are so few of them?

IMG_8418_edited-1-copy.jpg

Yellow Polyps. Just because I like the colour and the way the long tentacles flow in the current.

IMG_8426_edited-1.jpg

jjmoneyman

RS Sponsor
I had a yellow tang that ate a whole rock of those nasty things. I don't think it's common for them to eat them but I did want to pass it along.

Uslanja

Hi JJ! Your yellow tang ate the clavularia? If that's the case.... anyone want to send their yellow tang on a Canadian vacation for a few weeks? I guess we could always get a small one and then find a home when it grows!

jjmoneyman

RS Sponsor
Hi JJ! Your yellow tang ate the clavularia? If that's the case.... anyone want to send their yellow tang on a Canadian vacation for a few weeks? I guess we could always get a small one and then find a home when it grows!

Yup, ate a whole rock worth overnight. Once that was gone he started nipping a zoas so he went right back to the LFS. I don't believe this is the norm though. You could take a little rock of them to the LFS and put it in their tank with some and see if any go for it?

Uslanja

Wow.... it has been almost a month since we have posted! Work has been keeping us very busy..... and I don't like it!!! Well, enough of my complaining!! A fellow reefer here on RS wants some of the clavularia polyp that has taken over our nano. So a while back we dropped a piece of rubble smack dab in the middle of the Purple Demon and expected it to be fully covered by now. But, of course that isn't the way things have turned out. There is a good and healthy looking bit of growth around the edge of the rubble but not much more. So we're not sure if we should hang on to the rubble until there is a thick and plentiful amount of growth or ship it the way it is. We certainly want the clavularia to do well in its new home. Do we ship it now or let it keep growing?

This demon has taken over our tank but sure is growing slow when and where we want it to!!

When we dropped the rubble in on Sept 27

IMG_8409_edited-1.jpg

The growth that is on it Oct. 30.

IMG_8528_edited-1.jpg

Some growth can be seen around the edge of the rubble but has not covered it yet.

QuentinB

You are alive!!! :D

I vote you let it grow a bit more. I'd think that now that it's entered it's new ground, it won't take too awful long to populate...

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
I'd b tempted to ship now. It grows quick! Really beautiful by the way.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Stretch

Has been struck by the ban stick
Just tell it not to grow anymore and the problem will be solved!! You know the things in our tanks never do what we want them to... :D

sent from Stretch's DROID X using Tapatalk

catran

Wow, that stuff sure does spread! wish my zoas acted like that!
I often have the same dream Bruan, lol.

I vote, give it another 2 weeks.

I think it's beautiful, but then again, it's not trying to take over my tank!

Uslanja

We were supposed to ship the rubble this Saturday but I got stuck away from home due to work for a few days so it has another week to grow. On the good side it looks like a few polyps have sprung up in the bald spot. Anyway, it has another week to do some growing and then it`s hitting the road!! Some new pics! It’s been a while since we had some time to just chill and enjoy the tanks!! Hey Quentin!! Good seeing you on here!! Tracy keeps saying that she needs to dig through her photos and get those pics off to you guys..... but we’re old and fall asleep easily as you know, but their coming!!
It’s been a while since Tracy and I just got to chill and watch the tanks! We couldn’t help but try to take some pics.

This is Hercules or Newton.... I certainly can`t tell but I bet Tracy could.

IMG_8546_edited-1.jpg

The Clavularia AKA; Purple Clove Polyp is everywhere!

IMG_8598_edited-1.jpg

IMG_8586_edited-1.jpg

IMG_8584_edited-1.jpg

IMG_8576_edited-1.jpg

IMG_8537_edited-1.jpg

IMG_8513_edited-1.jpg

IMG_8512_edited-1.jpg

IMG_8510_edited-1.jpg

IMG_8508_edited-1.jpg

IMG_8501_edited-1.jpg

Uslanja

Hi whippetguy! Nice avatar!! The Clavularia is a nice looking polyp and at times we could almost enjoy it, but it is definitely challenging our other corals and has spread through the remaining available reef space limiting our ability to add anything new to the tank. The worst thoughts that we have about it is that we will not be able to use any of this rock in a future upgrade. There is just no way that we will take the chance of it spreading throughout another build. But once the rubble is shipped off next weekend we will begin in earnest trying to eradicate or in the very least significantly reduce the spread of this polyp. One of the most interesting things that we have discovered about this octocoral is when we tried to pluck it off the rock. It can become incredibly tiny and shrink down in size closing up and becoming almost too small to see. We have very good tweezers that are used in medical applications and still we can not get enough grip to remove a polyp. We also removed a rock from the tank and scrubbed very aggressively with a bristle brush and other than hurting the polyps for a few days, not a single one appeared to have been critically injured or removed. We also tried Paul B's Aptiaser (a device that we absolutely love and enjoy using!) and all the polyp did was shrink down and close up, reopening as if nothing happened within the hour. This is one very tough and aggressive coral.

We learned a while back to not purchase any frags that have any foreign growth on either the frag or the plug. We have dealt with difficult algas and the loss of corals when we purchased frags that had anything other than the coral growing on the plug. So besides looking closely at the frag and plug for algas we also scour the entire frag tank searching for Clavularia that might be anywhere in the system. If we see it, there is no way we will purchase anything from that tank or any other tanks that are connected to it through the plumbing. We have two tanks and we are diligent to ensure that there is no cross contamination of Clavularia between them. This also means that we can not utilize our other tank as a safe place to hold things from the nano and that is a disappointment for us.

QuentinB

Hey Quentin!! Good seeing you on here!! Tracy keeps saying that she needs to dig through her photos and get those pics off to you guys..... but we’re old and fall asleep easily as you know, but their coming!!

Hey, no worries! Shell and I are pretty busy ourselves, so I know how that goes!

You guys really know how to capture your tank on camera. It's impressive how hardy those little polyps are!