The Nano is dead. Long Live THE 23!!!

Uslanja

Hi Gary! Been meaning to call you but I have been so busy with work. Tracy hit the big 50 today so were off for some fun in a few minutes. Dinner in Niagara On The Lake tonight and then back to the grind tomorrow. How's the boat? In the water yet? We have been driving along the river the last few evenings and wondering if you guys are out there? We need to get together with you guys someplace along the river for a drink or two!!

Jetbkk

Hi Uslanja! I'm back after a long absence! Your corals are looking good! I just broke down my old tank and am building a big tank now... 5 feet x 30"x30"..

glampka

Wish her Happy Birthday for us! I'll be hitting a milestone Friday.
Took the boat to the marina Saturday. Hopefully it'll be summerized shortly & we can hit the river in the next week or so.
Definitely been too long. Stopping for a few drinks some night sounds like a plan. Also want to get you guys out on the water with us some day.

Uslanja

A few pages back we posted a pic of our Bubble coral that I had called a Euphyllia coral. But I clearly haven't a clue what I'm talking about and shortly after posting that learned (I think??) that the Bubble coral is actually a Plerogyra sinousa. Boy Oh Boy but I have so much to learn!!! Anyway, I needed to correct that and so now I feel better!?

Here is a close in shot of our plate coral. I am enjoying this photo for the time being!

IMG_9608_edited-2.jpg

Uslanja

The Clavularia is still going wild and grows across the substrate fairly quickly. Every few weeks we pick and peel large sections off the substrate. The substrate was picked clean last week but here is a shot showing how fast it is growing.

Substrate after being cleaned 1 week ago

IMG_9616_edited-1.jpg

We did move an urchin into the tank to discover if it would eat some of the evil clavularia. We dropped it into the tank, watched it crawl up on the rock and it hasn't moved much in almost 24 hours. Hopefully it is chowing down and when it moves over a bit we'll find some bare rock..... we hope! We're not sure what urchins will eat so we're keeping a close eye on this one. If it misbehaves..... then back into the fuge it goes!

Will this urchin be the salvation of our tiny tank?

IMG_9615_edited-1.jpg

Our pink palys are having a tough go in another part of the tank with all the clavularia crowding them. We discovered that these two have moved around the corner and seem to be surviving. Hopefully these ones will spread out and claim some real estate from the demon clav!

IMG_9634_edited-1.jpg

Just had to snap a pic of the underside of this green paly. I like the texture and how the light makes the paly appear translucent.

IMG_9619_edited-1.jpg

We had our bubble coral placed next to this frogspawn because I thought that they were related and could coexist. It was only after the bubble started to look like it was failing that I discovered my mistake. Since moving the bubble, the frogspawn has regained some of its former size. (The bubble isn't looking good at all and might not make it. Another example of how much I still don't know!)

IMG_9618_edited-1.jpg

The slimer is definitely on the mend after changing our bulbs to a different colour and its polyps are now plush and moving in the current. It hasn't regained its original dark green colouring yet.

IMG_9617_edited-2.jpg

We have dozens of brittle stars in this tank and we love watching them strain the water column for food. It is surprising how quickly they can pull in a morsel and get their legs back out. You can also see how thick the clavularia has covered everything.

IMG_9628_edited-1.jpg

One of our pices of live rock came with a twig of some type of Gorgonian that wasn't in the best of shape. In fact I was originally going to cut it off and throw it away because I thought it was dead. However, it has since recovered quite nicely and has been spreading a mat of polyps across the rock. Here is a pic showing another branch beginning to sprout from the mat and up into the water column.

IMG_9627_edited-1.jpg

Uslanja

Cyphastrea (Meteor Shower)

IMG_9631_edited-1.jpg

Duncanopsammia axifuga (Duncan)

IMG_9681_edited-2.jpg

Fungia repanda (Disk, Mushroom, Chinaman, Fungia Plate, or Tongue Coral)

IMG_9687_edited-1-copy-copy.jpg

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
I love your photos. I have an urchin identical to yours. He's good at clearing algae off rocks and glass but doesn't mess with my clavularia or other corals. He's more active at night, especially when it was young and small. Now that it's full size, it slowly moves around the tank at most times. Fortunately, my clav is isolated to one rock and I won't let it touch anything else. What kind of skimmer do you use on your nano tanks? I'm considering starting a nano.

Uslanja

Hi All! Been a while since we've been on and we have been missing the folks at RS quite a bit. My laptop went funky and I haven't retrieved all of my photos off of it yet. Still trying to get this new Samsung working the way I want and it is proving to be time consuming. But enough of my grumbling and on to a few new pics until I can get the other ones back.

We moved this zoa rock and they seem to be doing a little better in a reduced flow area. The Clavularia is still a problem and I wish we never had this stuff but, "it is what it is" and there is no way we are throwing all the other life away just to get rid of it. If it wasn't so invasive we could actually enjoy it.

IMG_0021_edited-1.jpg

These zoas have been spreading in spite of the clavularia but the frogspawn next to them has also grown and is causing them some distress so we had to move the rock over a bit. I guess one of the problems with a nano is that the corals grow and if they don't get along with each other than something is going to need to be done with them. As it is, we have a real nice sized frag of the frogspawn and it needs a home. We haven't had the best of luck shipping corals but if anyone is close to Ridgeway Ontario Canada and would like a healthy frogspawn.... drop us a line! The frogspawn pics will be further down.

IMG_0020_edited-1.jpg

IMG_0019_edited-1.jpg

OK, I couldn't wait to put the frogspawn pic up so here it is. We have a frag of this guy, almost the same size now as the one below with several heads on it. All someone needs to do is drive on over and pick it up.

IMG_0025_edited-1.jpg

Since we changed our T5 lighting from a blue colour to a more purple colour the Yuma's and Mushroom's have been growing nice and multiplying, albeit slowly but all this in spite of the clavularia.

IMG_0024_edited-1.jpg

IMG_0023_edited-1.jpg

IMG_9975_edited-1.jpg

A good sized brittle star has taken up residence under Tracy's Yuma and has dug out quite a hole. It is surprising how long its legs are when they poke out feeling around for food.

IMG_9968_edited-1.jpg

Ahh, it feels good to be back on RS and we're looking forward to catching up with everyone!

Uslanja

Been a while..... long time actually All my tank contents are up for grabs. Grab your pails, grab your reefing buddies and come get it. I am keeping the equipment but everything alive must go and go fast!! All my tanks are coming down. Contact by pm through here and I'll get back to you ASAP. Just want to re-home my corals, fish, live rock, substrate, crabs, snails, mantis as quickly as possible. Don't want to piece it all out slowly, so get your buddies and come get it!!