The Nano is dead. Long Live THE 23!!!

Uslanja

We were feeding the tanks tonight and so these following photos are just quick snaps and not very good..... but to watch the plate coral feed was an amazing experience. Apparently (from our observation) the tentacles are sticky and anything that touches them is going to be stuck there. We saw the serpent star touch the plate and it appeared to have a bit of a difficult time pulling free. We witnessed a myriad of thin string like sweepers (very similar in appearance to that of the Vermetid worm's) emerge from the plates mouth and extend quite far into the water column collecting all sorts of small food.... but the best was to see larger food items such as a Mysis get caught up in the tentacles and quickly be moved along towards the plates mouth and then quickly swallowed up. In just seconds the Mysis was transported from the edge of the plate and into the coral's mouth and then the mouth closed up. I had a very difficult time focusing quick enough to catch the action, but here goes an attempt at it;

A progression of photos showing the Mysis being drawn in to the coral's mouth and then close up.

IMG_8241_edited-1.jpg

IMG_8242_edited-1.jpg

IMG_8243_edited-1.jpg

IMG_8244_edited-1.jpg

Uslanja

Tracy says that I am a "Camera Hog" and grab all of the photo opportunities and then post them before she gets a chance..... Sorry Tracy!! But, I was checking out the tank under the blue lunar LED's this morning and found one of these critters just looking so colourful and vibrant. Trying to get a shot of it under the LED's was a little challenging so I also tried the flash and then tried illuminating it with an LED flashlight. The photos were then cropped to enlarge the critter for ease of identification but that has resulted in a loss of quality. Any idea what this critter might be?

Lunar Blue LED lighting

IMG_8250_edited-1.jpg

Camera Flash

IMG_8252_edited-1.jpg

LED Flashlight

IMG_8253_edited-1.jpg

Uslanja

I'm sure everyone is getting a little tired of seeing Tracy's Neon Green Plate Coral..... but it displays the most interesting colours depending on what lighting is on at the time..... so here I go again with some more plate photos....

IMG_8206_edited-1.jpg

IMG_8206_edited-2.jpg

Stretch

Has been struck by the ban stick
Your uknown critter appears to be a ball tip anemone to me. I could be mistaken though. :shrug:

sent from Stretch's DROID X using Tapatalk

dmatt88

Your uknown critter appears to be a ball tip anemone to me. I could be mistaken though. :shrug:

I read ball tip n giggled.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Stretch

Im pretty sure I have a couple of them in my tank as well. That's the only reason I think I know. =D

Stretch

And I for one am definitely not tired of seeing that plate coral! That thing is awesome!!

catran

I'll never get tired of pics like that. Tell Tracy she outdid herself with those pics!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

glampka

You sure Tracy isn't photoshopping those shots & messing with your mind? She would do that. Those colors are insane!

Uslanja

Hi Gary! Depending on what lights are on, the plate tentacle tips and the area where they join the plate will go from a pale blue to a bright orange...... you guys will get to see it in person on the 1’st! A glass of wine or two might even make things look more colourful!

Uslanja

A new frag that we picked up at Salt Water Paradise. We understand that it is called a "Nuclear Green" Zoanathid! We (OK, really it was me.... Tracy had nothing to do with my begging!!) had been pestering Joe to keep us in mind if he ever fragged the Nuclear Green zoa's from their display tank. Well, several gentle reminders later and I have a new frag!! Eat your heart out Tracy.... their mine!!!! So........... here is my new Nuclear Green Zoa Frag!!!!

IMG_8339_edited-1.jpg

I'm not sure if this is Hercules or Newton??!!

IMG_8348_edited-1.jpg

Well..... whoever that was..... this is the other guy!

IMG_8350_edited-1.jpg

catran

Very nice pic! I love green nukes! Also, nice crisp colors on your clown. Mine started getting black spots and eventually looked muddied!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Uslanja

Just grabbed a few quick shots of things in the tank. We haven't begun any new attempts to try knocking the Purple Clove Polyps (clavularia) out yet. Other than the polyps growing out of control everything is looking healthy..... we think! One method that has been reported to have success in reducing or eliminating clavularia is to use large amounts of carbon. We are thinking that might be the next method we try, but what other things might an increase in carbon harm?

The Meteor Shower seems to be growing and not bothered much by the clove polyps so far.

IMG_8395_edited-1.jpg

Another angle of view shows good growth but the clove polyps can be seen getting closer.

IMG_8376_edited-1.jpg

We have had this little piece of sponge covered rubble ever since we started our first nano and now the clove polyps are starting to grow on it.

IMG_8394_edited-1.jpg

This lone button polyp has been surrounded by the clove polyps. It appears to have grown above the clove polyps for now but we're not sure how long it can survive.

IMG_8390_edited-1.jpg

Here are more button polyps that are growing in another area that are being threatened by the clove polyps. So far the button polyps are holding their own. We always thought of these polyps as ho-hum but a few close up shots revealed a very interesting coral. It has become my latest coral to watch through the magnifier.

IMG_8389_edited-1.jpg

IMG_8388_edited-1.jpg

The clove polyps were putting pressure on the yellow polyps and for a while winning. Then the yellow polyps pushed back and regained some ground but now it looks like the clove polyps are moving into the yellow polyps again.

IMG_8387_edited-1.jpg

We really hate to loose this little tank to the evil Clavularia!! Just go away purple clove polyps!!

Last edited: