The Nano is dead. Long Live THE 23!!!

Uslanja

We are experiencing an explosion of these star fish. We are not sure what type they are but there are dozens all over the back glass. We think that they might be enjoying the coraline algae.

IMG_8084_edited-1.jpg

IMG_8086_edited-1.jpg

IMG_8087_edited-1.jpg

IMG_8088_edited-1.jpg

Uslanja

A favourite coral of mine is this Cyphastrea coral. It is showing some very good growth and spreading under and down the rock.... so I'm thinking that this coral likes low light.

Good growth seen moving down the rock.

IMG_8092_edited-1.jpg

Uslanja

I'm just doing some house cleaning and grabbed a quick shot of Tracy's plate coral on my way past the tank. It is taken with a canon T1i body, a canon L series 100MM lens with a 12mm extension tube. The white balance is set to 5200K and everything else was set on automatic. The photo looks flat and lacks the POP I'm looking for, but here it is just for fun!

IMG_8094_edited-2.jpg

Stretch

Has been struck by the ban stick
Still a great shot!! I like the green with the pink tips!!

sent from Stretch's DROID X using Tapatalk

catran

Nice pics of some beautiful corals! Yes, I was referring to the zoas, they look like radioactive dragons eye. I love the polyp extension on the Cyphastrea, very pretty! I have a couple of meteor shower also, one isn't doing well. Maybe because I moved it up...I'll move it since you think it might need lower lighting and see, thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Uslanja

Hi Cat! The Cyphastrea is one of my favourite corals!! But when I really start to think about it..... I have so many favourites.... I need a much bigger tank to fit everything I want in!!

I just love the colour of this coral!!

IMG_8164_edited-1.jpg

Tracy's Yuma is doing very good. It has moved itself off of the frag plug and onto the reef leaving another little Yuma behind on the plug. We are really looking forward to watching the new little one grow out and as soon as it is big enough we will grab some photos of that as well!

IMG_8162_edited-1.jpg

A shot along the backside length of the reef with a view of the Donuts (Duncan) at the far end.

IMG_8166_edited-1.jpg

Another long reef shot with a view of Tracy's Zoa Rock.

IMG_8169_edited-1.jpg

Tracy's Neon Green Plate Coral shows different colours at the tentacle ends depending on what lighting is on. Here it is showing blue tips under actinic lighting.

IMG_8172_edited-2.jpg

Our Frogspawn is looking healthy. It used to have two heads and then one day we found one of the heads on the substrate. No idea how that happened. The broken head has been moved onto a frag rack in the 37 and the remaining head looks to be doing well. (the one on the frag rack is doing good also)

IMG_8157_edited-1.jpg

We had these mushrooms at the other end of the tank but they have moved over to be with the Yuma. We are thinking of making a screen covering for this end of the tank to make it a little more shaded but we're concerned that by doing so we may negatively impact the Cyphastrea which is to the left of the mushrooms and already growing in a shaded area under a rock. But, the mushrooms are slowly splitting and growing... so maybe we should leave things alone.

IMG_8168_edited-1.jpg

These Green Palys are growing on top of the rock that is shading the Cyphastrea. You can see that they are very compact and growing close to the rock. They are reproducing, albeit slowly. We think that these guys would do better in a little lower light and that is another reason that we are thinking about making a screen covering..... but the Cyphastrea is right below this rock and doing so good and we certainly don't want to hurt it.

IMG_8167_edited-1.jpg

Our Green Slimer can be seen slightly out of focus in the foreground. It has lost it's green colour and we haven't noticed any polyps in a couple of month's now. We're thinking that is is done for but it still produces slime if it is touched.... so maybe it is still alive and hopefully will perk up..... however this photo is of the Birds Nest behind the slimer. It is very difficult to get a clear view of the Birds Nest. It's polyps take on a purple tinge when the daylights are off but here it is in all of it's daylight glory!

IMG_8161_edited-1.jpg

Our Yellow Polyps and Purple Encrusting Polyps have created a line of detente! At first the Purple Encrusting Polyps were gaining ground but the Yellow Polyps are now pushing back and retaken most of its lost turf. I wonder what will eventually happen.... but I would not let any of the Purple Encrusting Polyps in a tank again. At first they looked nice but they have pretty much covered every available area of the reef and even onto the substrate!!

IMG_8159_edited-1.jpg

Our Torch Coral is doing very good! It usually has its tentacles extended very far into the water but in this photo they are not extended as much as usual.

IMG_8160_edited-1.jpg

Blue Space

freakin' beautiful pics! what kind of camera are you using? I want to make my future corals look that sweet!

Stretch

Has been struck by the ban stick
Great shots!! Thanks for the pics!!

Still waiting on a dedicated Dave & Tracy thread in the photography section!! :D

sent from Stretch's DROID X using Tapatalk

Uslanja

Hi Blue Space! Thanks for the kind words... we're still learning how to use it.... Canon T1i body and the lens for these photos was a Canon L series 100 MM macro and then we mount various extension tubes under the lens and play. Thousands (literally) of pictures and hope we get one good enough for our chronicle!

Uslanja

Hi GlassMunky! Long Time!! Hope all is going well! We haven't had any luck with the shells yet, but we're still trying!!

Hi Rob!! I'll grab a few and hopefully something will turn out good! Tracy and I will most likely be taking a one day road trip down your way towards the end of October... when we know the date can we touch base and find out what LFS places in your neck of the woods you would suggest we check out?

Robzilla

Phishy Business and Reef Systems are pretty good but I have a local guy you should contact if you are looking to go home with something. He has awesome corals for cheap!

Uslanja

Hi Rob! Thanks!! We will send a PM a couple of weeks before we head our way and get some addresses from you. Thanks!!