Steved13's 250G Deep Dimension

steved13

PREMIUM
OK here are some more pics.

I "won" (I put it in quotes because I spent more on raffle tickets than what it's worth LOL, at least it's something useful) a top down photo box. So here are some top down shots:

DSC_0016-5.jpg

DSC_0014-4.jpg

DSC_0012_01.jpg

DSC_0012-6.jpg

DSC_0008-10.jpg

DSC_0007-12.jpg

DSC_0006-14.jpg

DSC_0004-10.jpg

DSC_0005-13.jpg

DSC_0002-19.jpg

DSC_0001-27.jpg

DSC_0009-11.jpg

DSC_0010-11.jpg

DSC_0015-7.jpg

[
DSC_0011_01.jpg

DSC_0011_03.jpg

DSC_0011_02.jpg

DSC_0011-11.jpg

steved13

PREMIUM
wonderful pics!
Thanks JJ

Wow beautiful corals, which camera are you using ? The top down shots came out great !

Thanks Robert, I saw the box at Melev's booth and thought it was cool but I didn't want to spend the money, so I dropped a couple of tickets in the bucket to win one and got it. It's pretty easy, I just snapped those quick, to try it out, I didn't even kill the pumps.

I'm using a Nikon D3100

steved13

PREMIUM
Wow...great pics steve! Those Gandies look amazing!!!

Thanks Bryan, They've grown, multiplied, and changed color quite a bit since I got them.

Here they are when I first got them 1/27/12:

DSC_0008-8.jpg

2/7/12
DSC_0011-6.jpg

4/4/12
DSC_0003-14.jpg

4/19/12
DSC_0002_01-5.jpg

5/6/12
DSC_0019-2.jpg

7/23/12
DSC_0007-10.jpg

They started 3 polyps now there are 8.

steved13

PREMIUM
You did an awesome job documenting their growth

......I need serious help

Thanks Rob, I had thought Grandis were supposed to be slow growers, so when I saw a new polyp I was surprised and snapped a pic. The color change really surprised my also.

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
After they really take hold they spread. I don't think my grandis multiplied for a year then whammy they've doubled.

..........reefing. not for the faint of heart.

steved13

PREMIUM
After they really take hold they spread. I don't think my grandis multiplied for a year then whammy they've doubled.

..........reefing. not for the faint of heart.

That's why I was so surprised, these have more than doubled in less than 8 months. Gone from 3 polyps to 8.

steved13

PREMIUM
Steve I may have missed it but do you "Spot Feed" them anything?

GREAT progress shots BTW!

yes I do. I was about 3 times per week but now once a week. I feed a mix of just about everything. What I can remember...reef roids, phyto, oyster feast, copepod max, rotifer max, reef caviar, cyclops, amino acids, reef snow, coral smoothie, Red Sea reef energy a&b, and some others that memory escapes. I mix it all in a custard cup, I use feed pause which turns off the return pums and cranks the vortechs to 100% nutrient transport mode, which keeps it all in the tank and moving. I target feed everything and then broadcast feed whatever is left. The return pumps stay off for 1 hour and then turn back on.

i checked parameters afterwards and slightly elevated phosphates 0.03ish for a few hours and then back to 0.00. I seem to always have some spotty algae here and there, but at 3 times per week it was getting a little worse so I backed it down to once per week. I had stopped, and was feeding fish only for awhile, but with the bio pellets I think the tank was too low on nutrients all the time and some corals weren't doing well. IMO with this system the nutrients are very low most of the time and once a week there is a little introduction of nutrients for feeding. It seems like a good balance to me.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Thanks for your feedback Steve. I really REALLY want to get one of the GHL Vortech controllers but it's hard to justify it for a single MP10 (non wireless) on just my RSM130D tank. I'd have to get the wireless module for it from Ecotech and then the GHL module. It's something to consider for sure.

I may start spot feeding my Grandi again. They are beautiful they just haven't spread any in over a year now.... then again I've been running ULNT for a good while which may also hinder their growth a good bit.

steved13

PREMIUM
I've always been 0.00 for both phates and trates, and I was thinking the same thing ULN, which is why I started target and broadcast feeding again.

The wirless for the vortech is only $50 so not too bad. If you get one, I'll give you hint, it went in the opposite way I thought it would, other than that really easy. It's great to have them ramp down throught the night and ramp up during the day, and change modes on a schedule.

steved13

PREMIUM
I took some pics tonight, and I thought I'd show some more corals over time.

6/26/11
DSC_0017.jpg

10/13/11
DSC_0014-2.jpg

10/3/12
DSC_0041.jpg