Steved13's 250G Deep Dimension

steved13

PREMIUM
Steve. Tank is stunning. Amazing growth and color. I'm looking at starting biopellet reactor on my 75 mixed reef. I've got my nitrates to 2ppm and my phos to 0.08ppm but just can't seen to clear them any further. I've cut feelings back, increased flow, increased my wc schedule etc but I still have lingering hair algae and bryopsis. When I run gfo my lps pout and my phos still goes nowhere. I know your a fan. What media are you using, how much per gallon etc? Trying to get some insight from some with a success story.

I run a mix of the bio pellets, I think there are about 4 different brands in there. I fill the reactor about 1/3 full, which allows room for a good tumble and keeps them from staying at the top of the reactor. As far as I know there is no amount per gallon formula, and from my understanding I can't see any reason for one...the bacteria will consume what's needed, so extra just mean you have to open the reactor to replenish less frequently.

The pellets need a balance of nitrates and phosphates and a carbon source. The pellets provide the carbon, and you have trates and phates already. Many times with an established tank, I hear that one drops (usually trates) to 0.00 but the other (usually phates) drop some but not to 0.00. When that happens the system is...what is refered to as "limited" either "nitrate limited" meaning not enough nitrates, and phosphates won't drop, or "phosphate limited" and nitrates won't drop any further. This is the only glitch that I know of with using the bio pellets. This can be taken care of and a balance can be achieved very easily but it's a rather radical approach, and some folks can't do it. To give you an idea the first tank I used the bio pellets on I became nitrate limited and phosphates would not drop yet nitrates were 0.00. After some research I came up with the radical idea, of actually adding nitrates to the tank...after some slow careful dosing I got them into balance and the pellets kept it all at 0,.00 from then on.

Keep in mind, you will still see some algae. The algae will fight with the bacteria for the nutrients and some will survive, but you won't have the free nutrients in the system for the algae to grow out of control. I manually remove the algae about once a month and it keeps at bay.

Last edited:

lilj104

Thanks Tom

Yes, they seem happy.

OK here you go:

DSC_0001.jpg

DSC_0002.jpg

DSC_0003.jpg

I have a question, i see that a lot people have a fully set up tank and then they have frags stuck to rocks already in an established tank. How do you do that, without taking out the rock and super glueing and putting it back in?

How much total pounds of rock did you end up having in there?

steved13

PREMIUM
If you use super glue gel,you can put some on the frag and then hold it to the rock under water and after a little bit it will be glued.

Any kind of super glue gel will work. I use the ecotech CG it sets a little faster for me.

There is about 225 lbs of rock in there.

lilj104

If you use super glue gel,you can put some on the frag and then hold it to the rock under water and after a little bit it will be glued.

Any kind of super glue gel will work. I use the ecotech CG it sets a little faster for me.

There is about 225 lbs of rock in there.

Ok i'll give it a try again, because when I try to super glue rock, it seems as if as soon as the gel hits the water it hardens immediately, so I always end up having to take rock out to glue them. So I'll try it

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
usually when the gel hits the water it does make a seal but once you place it on the rock wriggle it around a bit to break the seal and get better exposure to the rock.

tommyboynj

I run a mix of the bio pellets, I think there are about 4 different brands in there. I fill the reactor about 1/3 full, which allows room for a good tumble and keeps them from staying at the top of the reactor. As far as I know there is no amount per gallon formula, and from my understanding I can't see any reason for one...the bacteria will consume what's needed, so extra just mean you have to open the reactor to replenish less frequently.

The pellets need a balance of nitrates and phosphates and a carbon source. The pellets provide the carbon, and you have trates and phates already. Many times with an established tank, I hear that one drops (usually trates) to 0.00 but the other (usually phates) drop some but not to 0.00. When that happens the system is...what is refered to as "limited" either "nitrate limited" meaning not enough nitrates, and phosphates won't drop, or "phosphate limited" and nitrates won't drop any further. This is the only glitch that I know of with using the bio pellets. This can be taken care of and a balance can be achieved very easily but it's a rather radical approach, and some folks can't do it. To give you an idea the first tank I used the bio pellets on I became nitrate limited and phosphates would not drop yet nitrates were 0.00. After some research I came up with the radical idea, of actually adding nitrates to the tank...after some slow careful dosing I got them into balance and the pellets kept it all at 0,.00 from then on.

Keep in mind, you will still see some algae. The algae will fight with the bacteria for the nutrients and some will survive, but you won't have the free nutrients in the system for the algae to grow out of control. I manually remove the algae about once a month and it keeps at bay.

Thanks Steve. How long before you picked up on visible results?

steved13

PREMIUM
Measurable results were nitrates were 0.00 in 24 hours. I had to figure out phosphates, and then they came down quickly also.

steved13

PREMIUM
I have taken a deposit on my whole system, the breakdown will start this afternoon. My priorities have changed and its the right thing to do. Having a tank this large, in an apartment, trapped me where i am living. Without makes changing much easier. My plan is to buy a home within the next couple of years, and at that time I may look into a dedicated room behind a wall (through/in wall tank) for a fish room with proper flooring and drains and such and start over. That would be a few years away though.

I plan to stay on RS and help and learn whenever I can.

thanks to all those who have helped me with this system, and for all the kind words.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Wow Steve someone is really going to get a lovely tank ! Here wishing you all the best in the move & we all understand how life's priorities can change sometimes, here hoping all works out!

Steve,

Glad to see things heading in the direction you want to go. But still sad to see the tank go.

Maybe you could get something more manageable like a 60 cube to play with. Deep Blue has a really nice and cheap rimless 75 that could be fun. I would always help if you needed to move it.

Good luck! -JOHN

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Wow Steve.........I totally understand where you're coming from and fear the day I'm in the same situation but you gotta do what's right. Rebuilding with all the knowledge you have will be even more fun.

Glad to hear you're hanging around, we like having you!

yankieman

Good Luck Steve , I can certainly understand your decision , I can imagine its hard to part with the tank , but starting one over can be fun to and challenging, and good luck on getting that new home,,,, stay in touch and let me know whats going on ,,

steved13

PREMIUM
Livestock was removed from the tank on Sunday. I couldn't believe...I got a little sad realizing a couple of the fish I had for over 2 years were going to new homes...I'm such a sappy softie when it comes to animals. Most of the hardware should be picked up tomorrow and hopefully the tank also or very soon after.

No tank in the meantime John, just want to stay mobile and easy to move when the time comes. In a couple of years if/when I find a house, I may start with something smaller until the funds become available for the monster.