NEW Aquavitro's Salinity salt by Seachem first impressions

mcanavan69

I mixed up my first batch a Aquavitro last night. Was shocked when I opened it up tonight to find a gray sludge (film) on top of the water. All the numbers check out fine, just the sludge. Wonder if Seachem can give us a reason why it would film over like that?

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
I have seen like a table spoon of it, but it disappears when I hit it with my powerhead. I use a maxijet 1200 to pump it into my tank & to mix it.

If you or anyone get an answer from Seachem, I would be interested in it too, I have been using it since it 1st came out, with good results.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
I get the gray scum too. By the time I age it a week and heat & remix before a water change it's gone. Between the smell when adding the salt and the gray scum the Salinity isn't like other salts I've used. You could ask SeaChem customer support about it, but I have the feeling they'll say the scum is normal with this salt (same thing they said about the smell).

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
I don't think so Juan, unless things have changed. It was originally only to be exclusively available at local LFS.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Just wanted to say... as I am doing my weekly water changes this morning...

I am loving my Seachen Aquavitro's Salinity salt - I 1st used it when I got my sw from LFS & they used it, then I bought it by the pound from LFS when I 1st got my ro/di unit - then about 3 months ago when I bought my new RSM 250 I bought my 1st bucket of it and it's doing perfect - I add 2 cups (takes less than normal salt - to get to 1.026) to five gallons ro/di water with a maxi jet 1200 pump circulating the water, within 2 mins of adding it's 100% dissolved and 100 percent perfect, when I got it from the 450 gallon drums from lfs by the pound I got a bit of the grey scum that went away, but my bucket from new lfs that just opened & just got their shipment in may be the latest... I know it's absolute working perfect ... so thought I would share.

I almost went with the new Red Sea salt & it may be great too, but I could not be happier with Seachen Aquavitro's Salinity salt

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
For anyone new to this thread... Seachem took a marketing strategy of selling this salt only to & through local fish stores (lfs) - there also seem to be a range of pricing the lfs are selling it for, the new one that just opened here has it for $91 a bucket, being a bucket makes 225 gallon and the fact it only takes a bit over 2 cups to make up 5 gals to 1.026 where most other salts require 2 1/2 cups to do the same & the buckets make up 175 gallons - it's really not much more expensive at all & in most RSM tank end up being a few dollars more a year & a very small % for our maintenance cost. In theory, it should also save on dosing cost...

SeaSiren

My LFS told me about this product to when i purchased my RSM 250 I have been tossing around what is the best "salt" to use and everyone has different opinions of course I wasn't sure about this product being it is really doctored up and manmade opposed to the other salts that are derived from the ocean directly (or so I have read) I have read mixed things for instance I was told that Red Sea Salt pro doesn't always mix consistent and its parameters can swing way off due to the changes in the Red Sea itself. Some people love RC others use IO and supplement it and I have herad also Oceanic. I almost went with Oceanic recently but someone advised about issues with alkalinity. I guess there really isn't a perfect salt mix. But, for my FOWLR's I used to use just IO it was very cost effective especially with the number of tanks I have it mixed easy and had no residue and i didn't get spikes in the SG after adding it to the tanks with water changes. But, when I got my two nano cubes and started collecting my frags I decided to switch to RC and I have been using it now for all my tanks because I bought it in bulk...but I have found it you don't pre mix and let it age and try to do a fairly quick water change like I have done with IO that the SG increases alot!!! so aging it is a must I have a bin just for that and I age 15gallons at a time with a heater and powerhead.

But, I have been kicking around the idea of the Saliinity product for the RSM when I set it up I am glad this thread is up because I was just going to use RC in it but, I am not sure being new at the whole reef thing that I will be able to keep up on dosing and supplementing I would like the easiest product that will keep my levels where they need to be with out drastically dropping and also mixing to the exact or close to parameters. It sounds from this thread that besides the residue and the odd smell the product is good! and worth the money the best price I have recieved for it was $96 less a discount that I get with our states forum that gives all its members discounts so it would be doable if its worth it...its a big jump from $43 for 200 gallons of RC to $96 for Salinity but I am willing to try it out if it works better and saves me from having to dose and supplement like crazy. I have my hands full with breeding my clowns and my 11 tanks so ease of use is a must...like I said I heard good things I was just concerned about the chemical aspect and the fact that it was tinkered with in the lab to make it this way...reminds me of how as humans we are messing with DNA and genetics like a syfy movie...lol But, I will take all of your advice and when I start the Max I will give Salinity a try see how it works out!

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
If you decide to give it a go, let us know what you think.

I do think Seachem may still be "tweaking their salt" as my new bucket does not have a residue or odd smell, where when I was buying by the pound from a 450 pound barrel at lfs (they use it in all the stores tanks) it did.

I really think it's just thier great Seachem reef salt that lfs & I used for years and loved ... tweaked and improved a bit ... mixed with a bit of smart marketing & Rea Sea is following suit.

ChrisY

I asked about it at LFS before I bought my last batch of RS Coral Pro (which I like) and they didnt have it, so if not available online and not at LFS, then I guess I am sticking with Coral Pro.

w00t

Salinity is awesome, I've used it for quite a while and it's hands down the best salt I've used. Mixes fast and mixes clear, and it's analysis is always spot on the entire bucket.