NEW Aquavitro's Salinity salt by Seachem first impressions

dmyers557

salinity-bucket-art.jpg

I must say, this salt is soooooooo nice and thats coming from someone who never believes in hyped up stuff. My corals seem to love it and I don't have to dose 2 part is much as I was in the past. I love the fact that each batch is tested and it gives you the stats right on the bucket so you don't have to wonder what params you will get. Also, the salt is more like a powder and is ridiculously HEAVY!!!! They say it will make 225 gallons and I believe it. The bucket itself is tall and slim with a very nice twist off top. You guys need to try this stuff. It is a little more pricey, but the fact that you get more gallons and know exactly what your params will be, you can't go wrong.

Anyone else try this, please tell me your experiences with it.

Dweezil

Thanks for the review! I think Glenn is using it now also. So far I don't know many people who have used it. Allot of LFS may not carry it yet?

magnetar68

I have been using it since I first setup my tank in early Feb. This is my first tank, so unfortunately, I cannot compare it to others, but I can say that my chemistry has been very good.

I also got it at Aquarium Concepts in Dublin. For the can that I have 2 1/8 cups makes 5 gallons 1.026 SG at 78 degrees. My pH has been a constant 8.2 and the things that I can test for are good. I sent my water to a "pro" lab (AWT: aquariumwatertesting.com). This is not the test for a new batch of water, but I wanted a baseline for my tank after it had been setup for 6 weeks. I took this test the day after I changed 10 gallons. I have put my own tests to the right. I did these the same time I took the sample to send to the lab.

Code:
   Test          OK?   Value      "Acceptable"    My Test (API)
Ammonia (NH3-4)  Good 0.010 mg/L [0.000 - 0.050]    0.00
Nitrite (NO2)    Good 0.005 mg/L [0.000 - 0.100]    0.00
Nitrate (NO3)    Good 0.4 mg/L   [0.000 - 25.00]    0.00
Phosphate (PO4)  High 0.38 mg/L  [0.000 - 0.250]    0.00
Silica (SiO2-3)  High 1.8 mg/L   [0.000 - 0.500]
Potassium (K)    Low  323 mg/L   [350 - 450]
Calcium (Ca)     Good 370 mg/L   [350 - 450]        380    
Boron (B)        Good 3.9 mg/L   [3.00 - 6.00]
Molybdenum (Mo)  High 0.1 mg/L   [0.00 - 0.12]
Strontium (Sr)   Good 8.8 mg/L   [5.0 - 12.0]
Magnesium (Mg)   Good 1363 mg/L  [1100 - 1400]      1260 (Salifert)
Iodine (I¯)      Low  0.01 mg/L  [0.030 - 0.090]
Copper (Cu++)    Good 0.02 mg/L  [0.000 - 0.030]
Alkalinity       Good 2.79 meq/L [2.50 - 5.00]      3.21 (my test was 9 to their 7.75 in dKH)

Not sure why my iodine and potassium are low. My yellow polyps, green button zoas, and the kenya tree all need iodine, so maybe I need to dose for this. I use RO water from the LFS (not RO/DI), so the high silicates may be in the RO water.

Here is the label from my SeaChem Salinity container:

SeaChemSalinity.jpg

the Alkalinity of 3.8 meq/L is about 10.75 dKH

Last edited:

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
One of my LFS has the 225 gallon bucket on sale this weekend for $75, which makes it very close to the cost/gallon of the 50 gallon bags of salt I usually get. If I can get over there this weekend I may just try it. At an extra $0.03/gallon of SW it's not that much extra. I still think it's all marketing hype, but I'm getting low on salt anyway. 225 G should last me almost a year.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
I have always liked and have only used Seachem Reef salt in my RSM.

I think the new Seachem salt is even better... how much better... well not sure - subjective & hard to prove... but I do think it a very good salt.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
I got turned off to the SeaChem Reef salt on the cloudy batch I got that dropped my Ca levels, but at roughly the same price I'm willing to try the Salinity. I don't expect to see any miraculous results with it - I just want a good dependable salt, without getting stuck with off-standard batches. :)