NEW Aquavitro's Salinity salt by Seachem first impressions

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Did a water change this morning, after which I made up my first batch of the Salinity salt I picked up Saturday. I didn't do any tests of the finished SW, but here's what I found:

After adding the dry salt I had a bit of a gray foam floating on the surface for a while. Most of it dissipated by the time the salt was mixed for an hour, with a bit of gray scum deposited on the outer edges of the mix bucket. I had about an inch or so of Red Sea Coral Pro mix still in the mix bucket - maybe it was a reaction between the 2 salts. I'll know better as I make additional batches of Salinity in the future.

The finished mix almost appeared to have a slight gray tinge to it. The saltwater was however nice and clear.

The salt mix at the beginning had a strange odor right after adding the dry salt. An odor unlike other salt I've used. Hard to describe it - maybe a sulfur dioxide (rotten egg) type smell? That's the only thing I can think of to describe it. The smell seemed to be gone when the mix was finished.

The salt mixed in easily for me and as quickly as any other salt I've used.

This salt is indeed much more concentrated! I added my usual amount of salt to start, after which I let it mix for 20-30 minutes, and I then measure and start making additional adds of dry salt till I get my 1.025-1.026. When I took my first test it was already at 1.026! I almost overshot the salinity, and needed no more salt adds. I can only estimate it took about 20% less salt - very nice in my opinion!

I'll add it on my next water change in about a week and hope for the best.

As a side benefit the screw on bucket lid is a nice touch to be able to easily reseal the bucket.

Edit - I just found out from gareeferman (Reggie) that the odor has been noticed by many people making up this new salt, and that SeaChem confirmed that the smell is normal due to the higher concentration of chemicals.

Last edited:

dmyers557

Nice. I was just going to say the same thing about the smell. As for the grey tint, I dontremember mine having that. I'll go check up on it in the morning

kyley

Hi All,
How are things going with this salt for those of you that have been using it for awhile now? My LFS just got it in, and doing the math, the price isn't much higher for what I've been paying for SeaChem Reef Salt. A bit more, but probably only $20 difference in a year... Anyway, I'm thinking of trying it but would like to hear from others that have been using it for awhile now.

My one complain with the SeaChem Reef Salt (and this may be normal with most salts) is that after awhile my water change bucket builds up a brown/gray scum on the sides. That has now started to flake off and I have to scoop it out with a fish net after mixing each batch of saltwater. Any issues like this with the Salinity salt? Any scum floating on the surface after mixing? Take care,
--Kyle

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Kyle - see my post 42 above. I've been using it for a while now and it seems like my alkalinity stays a bit higher, and possibly the Mg, but I can't say that for sure. I get the brown scale too, but my SW mix/storage bucket is now over 3 years in use, and has stored several different salts.

I see no adverse effects from the Salinity, but I can't say it's made my corals any better than before, which I didn't really expect. It's a good salt and stronger than most.

JimmyJ

Thinking about switching over as well now that my LFS is selling it pre-mixed at $1 a gallon. The only problem is that they mix it up at 1.023, guess I would have to top off with it a little bit to get the SG up to where I like the tank to be.

magnetar68

I scrub my bucket with distiller white vinegar every once in a while then I rinse it with tap water and dry it with a paper towel. Is that bad?

JimmyJ

Jim I just don't top-off right before the weekly water change my lsf 1.023 & I like 1.025

That's a great idea, thanks Glenn. Once I get through the Red Sea Coral Pro that came with the starter kit and the bag of SeaChem Reef that I got then I will most likely go with the Salinty pre-mixed.

kyley

Thanks all - yeah, Terry I'd read your initial review - was wondering how you and others liked it now that you've been using it awhile. Sounds like it's the same as other salts regarding the brown stuff on the mix buckets. I'd imagine this salt may help keep a lot of the other trace elements in check that we don't dose regularly. Take care,
--Kyle

jpsika08

Geez, my LFS here at my country by far don't have this and it's true, no one online has it available, which other saltmix is good quality?

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
SeaChem Reef is very good, I used it until the new Salinity came out. I have read many good post about Red Sea Reef salt too.

I just started using it.

It was about 8 1\4 cups to bring 20g to 35ppt. The PH mixed to 8.4 which was a big change for me. The Oceanic I was using mixed to 8.0. Have not done any testing yet.

jpsika08

Glenn, do you know the alkalinity in the Seachem Reef Salt mix? I was trying to read it under the specs but I couldn't found it? maybe it was under another name :(

kyley

Hi Raymo, just read the reviews - sounds like another good salt, but more complicated (four different parts you mix together when you make the salt?). But also sounds like it mixes clear without residue. Interesting. Take care,
--Kyle

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
I scrub my bucket with distiller white vinegar every once in a while then I rinse it with tap water and dry it with a paper towel. Is that bad?

As long as you rinse it well I see no problems. Vinegar should help remove any scale that deposits on the sides.

kyley

Small amounts of vinegar is not bad for aquariums. People recommended vinegar and water as the glass cleaner for my tank (that's what I use - 50/50). Some people dose it to their tanks as a carbon source too (just like Vodka dosing). So don't be too concerned about using vinegar :) But a small amount can have a significant impact on pH (i.e. if you accidentally spilled it in). Take care,
--Kyle