John 'whippetguy' RSM 250

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
I hosted my local reef club meeting this past weekend, and one of the members grabbed a few shots of the tank that I thought I'd share.
Fredinanemone_zpsbccbdc37.jpg

Gusintank_zpsf868d50d.jpg

I highly suggest joining your local club if there is on in your area. If you're like me, you don't run in to many saltwater folks in everyday life. So it's nice to have other like-minded people looking at your tank and giving good advice and comments.

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Yes, Glenn, you are right but I think he was joking when asking the question. I think they are called money plants, but I'd highly recommend keeping them out of the water.

Last edited:

theplantman

The plant on the opposite side of the tank is scheffleria. Common name is sometimes called Octopus plant. The can actually be used well in terrariums since they are a rainforest plant.

No bueno for salt water tanks though. Your tank is looking incredible John. I wish we had a good local reef club by me. I miss the tour of tanks we used to do in Atlanta.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Yep was just teasing.... that shows just how dang clean and clear your tank is though John.... Heck I think I can see your neighbors living room through there LOL

Acanman

Hey john. Im seriously considering purchasing a lifereef. I had a couple questions if you dont mind. Where do you put your chiller, ATO reservoir? Could you post a pic of that? Im trying to map out where all my equipment will go and make it look presentable for the wife. I also have a doser with tubes everywhere.
Do you/ can you use a reactor or two? I would be getting same setup as you so i was wondering what you use the rear chambers in the tank for? Could we remove the stock skimmer and drop a couple reactors? Do we continue to run carbon bags in filter chambers?i guess im trying to picture where the water comes and where it goes....thanks in advance John.

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Hi there, I'll try to help answer the questions as best I can. I keep my chiller on the left hand side of my tank. I have a piece of furniture which kind of hides it. I have the return pump that came with the LifeReef sump plumbed to it then up to the tank so I didn't have to add another pump or get a stronger one. It's a 1/4hp Arctica chiller. The return water comes out where my rear cooling fans were. I have my ATO on the right side of my tank which empties in to the sump. Mine is kind of large but you can get away with something smaller so it's easier to hide. I did remover the stock skimmer since you can use a much better one in the sump. There are two areas in the front of the sump where you could place a reactor. In fact, i ran a phosban reactor in the front chamber for several months and kept having cyano problems so I quit using that and have recently begun using a Cadlights mini biopellet reactor. You could use a larger one though. I still use InTank media rack for ChemiPure and filter floss and kept my heater in the rear chamber as well. I'll post a few photos here to try to help.
Sara wanted in on the action in the first photo.
4E3A1D84-5C00-4363-986D-DA4A339F719C-11658-000019F515240C97_zps73e0d6d9.jpg
5728A660-A2D5-4C36-B74C-1170C2D84399-11658-000019F51B550787_zps1800671a.jpg
C8E3207C-C2A4-43ED-AAEE-45A18720AD4B-11658-000019F5209EACBB_zpsd1c74605.jpg
D0CAD964-087E-4E11-91CF-3D8DC7A5F932-11658-000019F5252FD174_zps6702f8eb.jpg

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
I read that you have a (blue) Yellowtail Reef Chromis....I like the looks of them but I wondered about them being mean (like most damsels) and wanted to know what you think. Do you still have your's & is it a peaceful fish?

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
I like mine. He gets along fine with all my others. My hogfish can be a bully but my chromis ignores him.

Sent from John's Tapatalk

RailroadReefer

Nice tank! I am just getting back into this. Your tank is what I would like to have if I go with the 250. By that I mean I would also be adding a sump for the various benefits. One of which is hopefully more copepods for dragonettes to eat.

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Nice tank! I am just getting back into this. Your tank is what I would like to have if I go with the 250. By that I mean I would also be adding a sump for the various benefits. One of which is hopefully more copepods for dragonettes to eat.

Thanks RailroadReefer, I'm very happy with mine. My refugium is packed with copepods and amphipods. I'm not sure how many make to the display on their own. I do occasionally take out a handful of chaeto and shake in the DT and they swim out providing a treat for my fish.