John 'whippetguy' RSM 250

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Hopefully will be receiving my RSM 250 tomorrow or Wednesday. I've been a freshwater tank keeper for many years and this is my first venture in to the saltwater world. I think I've read a mountain of books about reef keeping and still feel like I need to know more. I'm learning a lot from all the tank owners in this forum. Looking forward to updating my progression. Is there a particular online coral dealer that users suggest? I know it will be a while before I'll be stocking but it's still nice to plan. Thanks

-John

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
I'm a little OCD so I'm going to do it very slowly and by the book. Thanks for the link. Good information.

tnwillia

When you get your tank the 250 users guide has a great startup section that runs about 4 months if I remember. When I started mine, knowing nothing about saltwater, I followed it and it worked out well. If you don't have it and want to see it, here is a link to all the 250 download PDFs... Have fun!

Red Sea MAX | Downloads

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

Congrats on the beautiful RSM 250

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Got the tank set up. Getting the saltwater prepared, hopefully will be ready for live rock in a couple of days.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Congrats !!! Be sure to share some pics with us ! and remember to rinse your sand... (1st mistake I made with my 1st swt)

Tokalosh

welcomefish.gif

I think I've read a mountain of books about reef keeping and still feel like I need to know more. -John

Read another mountain of books and then read some more, take your time and never rush this hobby and you will succeed! Good luck, looking forward to seeing some pics.

Tok

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
My tank is staying just above 80 degrees. I only have the water and substrate in for now. Looks like I'm going to need a chiller. I've seen several varieties, any particular one better than others?

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Never mind, asked the question prior to searching the forums. I think I have a good idea of what to get, and might even wait a bit to see how things go. I noticed a few people without a chiller and slightly warmer temps whose tanks are doing just fine.

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Thanks for the link, Glenn. I actually read one of your posts on another chiller thread where you stated that your tank is doing great at 80-82 and I've seen your tank thread, and yours is beautiful so I'm probably going to wait for now. NSA is getting some Fiji branching live rock in this week, so I might just put a few base pieces in and wait for the Fiji to add more. I'm taking it very slow.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Your are very welcome ! Starting up the new RSM250, going slow is great & running stock (which I still do) is a great way to start and cycle the tank, then as you get to know your tank better you can add mods, lots of members here can help with that, if or when you want to start adding them.

Beautiful dogs in your avatar :dance:

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Thanks for the dog compliments. They are my children. They're not quite sure about what I'm doing with this tank business. Hopefullly, I'll get a photo up with my live rock soon.

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
I purchased 53 lbs of cured gulf view live rock at LFS today. Several pieces have embedded bivalves which several are still alive and move when I get close. Any ideas as to what kind they may be? Any ideas if they will survive long term?

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Would need to see some pics, but sounds some really good LR with nice diversity on it. Doubt they will make it in the long run though, like scallops don't do well long term, is what I would guess...