Jimmy's 130D Setup

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Yeah, I think it's worth it. The algae has been cut back a lot more since using it then when I was using the NOPOX. Plus its stopped growing. I think it will get better once I get more 0 TDS water changes, only 3 so far.

I was pretty sure that was the case. Good to hear that it has helped.

Shazbah

Jim you will find that after you stop using the algae fix the algae goes on dying. About 2 weeks after i stopped i noticed that the rest was withering away and my rock was starting to look clean. It will also help now that you are using 0 tds water. Good luck and remember the algae didn't come overnight and it won't go away overnight.

JimmyJ

I was pretty sure that was the case. Good to hear that it has helped.

Thanks Terry! :)

Jim you will find that after you stop using the algae fix the algae goes on dying. About 2 weeks after i stopped i noticed that the rest was withering away and my rock was starting to look clean. It will also help now that you are using 0 tds water. Good luck and remember the algae didn't come overnight and it won't go away overnight.

Thanks Sharon. I am going to continue dosing every 3 days for now as there still a good amount in there, but good to know that it will keep working after you stop. Trust me, I know this will take some time for it all to go away especially given the amount that was in my tank... ;)

tnwillia

Hey Jim, sounds like you've about got it. I had to keep the dead HA cut back to nothing and still pulled out my rock & scrubbed it in old water change saltwater to get it all off. I saw the HA die off effecting my numbers once there was more dead than alive. I stopped the AlgaeFix two weeks after I scrubbed the rocks. I also use NitroBac to get the Bacteria population building back up. Several weeks now and only a couple of spots tried to grow back. I switched over to hermits (White Leg & Red leg from John at ReefCleaners) and they stay after anything that pops up now, and yes, they did eat most of my snails in the process. Trade-offs! Good luck!

JimmyJ

Hello everyone - sorry its been so long its been quite a busy summer.

I was woke up this morning to find the tank all cloudy thanks the heater cooking the tank to 95 degrees :( Looks like i lost my shrimp and the two damsels although the clowns and tang look ok at this time. I have a big fan blowing across the top of the tank and ice bottle floating in the back to get the temp down. Its now down to 90.8. No bad smells and the amonia test came back at 0. I have salt water mixing to do a water change but its only been mixing for about 30 mins. Anything else i should do to get through this with as little casualties as possible? Thanks everyone

Shamus

Jimmy - sorry to hear about the crash! Sounds like you're trying to get things under control - I guess just keep monitoring and testing just in case you have continuous die-off on the rocks. Maybe seeding with some good bacteria (piece of live rock or bottled) to help seed just in case you had bacterial die-off?

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Wow - sorry to hear of another heater failure :( It sounds like you're doing the best you can, and getting things under control. I'm also interested in what brand heater it was.

Please keep us posted on the recovery.

JimmyJ

Sorry to hear this Jimmy, was it the stock heater by any chance?

No, never used the stock heater due to hearing others having this issue with it. This was a Stealth that I have used now for about a year and a half. I will be getting a controller now for sure but do you recommend a different heater?

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
They recalled all the Stealths from the last few years for this type problem. I hate to recommend a heater anymore, since I used to have faith in the Stealths.

thfwp-smiley-09.gif

JimmyJ

They recalled all the Stealths from the last few years for this type problem. I hate to recommend a heater anymore, since I used to have faith in the Stealths.

Thanks Terry, I had not known about the recall. Guess that's what I get for being off RS for so long :) Good news is that all the fish made it through their trip to tank hell. Still cloudy and none of the corals have opened up but they look somewhat ok.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
You're welcome Jimmy. Sorry the Stealth news is too late. :( Good to hear the fish are OK. The cloudiness may be a bacterial bloom from the high temp., and hopefully will clear up, and hopefully the corals will be OK.

lethal

Has been struck by the ban stick
Hey Jimmy, good to have you back but not the update we wanted. Good luck with the recovery. I also run a Jager heater and it has been fine for a while now.