Jimmy's 130D Setup

JimmyJ

Hello all,

Just want to start out by saying this site is truly the biggest reason why I am getting back into the hobby again after a few years of wondering why I got out of it to begin with... The RSM owners club is the most helpful place that I have ever come across.

With that said, I will be purchasing a RSM 130D within the next few days and was looking for some help on what else I should get along with the tank so I can ride the free shipping coat tales :turntable .

Heater - I have read a lot on here that the heater that comes with the tank is not worth using, what would be a good replacement for that?

Sand - Is the sand in the starter kit worth using? If so, is it enough? If not, what should I use and how much?

Rock - I already have close to 15 lbs of dry rock from my last tank (couldn't not see getting rid of it since I paid close to $8/pound from LFS back in the day). Would it be ok to use that rock along with partially cured rock from the get go? Was going to get about 20 or so pounds of it.

Circulation gadgets - Going to get a Hydro Flo (thanks Reefmack) and possibly a Koralia Nano Water Pump. What are your thoughts on the Koralia pump? What model would be good?

Anything else you think I would need to have a good start?

Thank you for all your help.
-Jim

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Congrats Jim and welcome again to RSM Club, glad to see you start a tank thread.

+1 on getting a new heater... several good ones, I run a stealth - don't get any glass one, would be my advise.

Lots use the sand that comes with the starter kit & have great sucess with it ! I wanted a little whiter sand... I used 35 pounds of a 40 pound sack from lfs - I picked CaribSea Aragonite Seaflor Special Grade reef Sand

Your plan to use the dry rock & add in LR, sounds like a good plan. :)

Feel few to ask any question you think of, lots of members more than willing to help here !

JimmyJ

Thanks for the warm welcome. I am excited to get started. What size of heater would be good to use?

JimmyJ

Thank you.

I was reading up some more and read some bad reviews on here on the included test kit for RSM. What is a good test kit brand?

Thanks again.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Welcome back to the addiction! :) Mostly Salifert tests here. That free shipping deal may only be on the tank & cabinet, since they most often get shipped separately and direct from Red Sea in Houston, TX.

JimmyJ

Welcome back to the addiction! :) Mostly Salifert tests here. That free shipping deal may only be on the tank & cabinet, since they most often get shipped separately and direct from Red Sea in Houston, TX.

Thank you.
I will be sure to keep that in mind as I continue to look around online. Nice thing is that I just got an email back from my LFS and he is going to call his RSM rep tomorrow to see if he can beat the price I see online. If not, I will make my purchase online tomorrow evening. Can't wait to post pics of the tanks progress.

JimmyJ

Can anyone shed any light on the difference between Aragamax and Aragonite sand? I have been looking at this Aragamax sugar-sized sand and was curious if there is any I should be aware of.

Thanks,
Jim

JimmyJ

Is the Koralia 425gph to much for this size tank? Or should I go with the 240gph?

Thanks
-Jim

Dweezil

Welcome aboard the fun train Jimmy!
I might stay away from sugar sized sand if I were you. I always hear if you have a decent amount of flow in the tank you will have a bunch of sand storms. Try to get something a bit bigger than sugar sized IMO. Also when determining what kind of substrate you want, try to imagine what you think you might want to keep in your tank as far as livestock and then get something that will fit the best needs of the animals your going to keep.

Good luck and keep us updated.

Last edited:

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
The sand I got was... 0.1-0.2 Fine/Medium sand I didn't want sugar size either...

I have a 240gph nano to blow behind the rocks, it's a very very gentle one, the Koralia 425gph won't be to much flow at all... the Koralia's are good value, the MP10's are fantastic.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
I ran a Koralia #1 (400 gph) in the back right corner for a long time - good, low cost powerheads with a nice broad flow pattern.

JimmyJ

The sand I got was... 0.1-0.2 Fine/Medium sand I didn't want sugar size either...

I have a 240gph nano to blow behind the rocks, it's a very very gentle one, the Koralia 425gph won't be to much flow at all... the Koralia's are good value, the MP10's are fantastic.

Thanks for the advise on the MP10. Fairly priced for computer driven wave makers... :)

JimmyJ

Welcome aboard the fun train Jimmy!
I might stay away from sugar sized sand if I were you. I always hear if you have a decent amount of flow in the tank you will have a bunch of sand storms. Try to get something a bit bigger than sugar sized IMO. Also when determining what kind of substrate you want, try to imagine what you think you might want to keep in your tank as far as livestock and then get something that will fit the best needs of the anumals your going to keep.

Good luck and keep us updated.

Thanks Tammy. Didn't think of the whole sand storm thing. Sure glad for sites like this that have good helpful users.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Jimmy - I have a Vortech MP20 in my tank, and don't find it's too much flow with my setup. The Vortech's also have a very broad flow pattern - they move a lot of water, but it's really spread out well, and the intermittent flow modes are great for corals.