Jimmy's 130D Setup

JimmyJ

Who says lightening never strikes twice in the same spot? It happened again, my wife just called to tell me the heater stuck again. Tanks at 97 degrees and this time there is fish death. :(

Shazbah

W.T.F:eek::eek::eek: No one can be that unlucky. Can they????? I am lost for words. I can't begin to imagine how you must be feeling as i am sat here myself absolutely gob smacked.:(:smack::verymad:

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
that's crazy.... soooooooo verrrrrrry sorry to hear !!! If every there is a case to be made for a $100 or so controller, you have made it.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Oh noooooo! :( What brand heater was this? Better order a controller - Reef Keeper Lite is pretty low cost.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
That's the one Glenn. It's the basic model - was 99.99 when I got mine quite a while ago, but I expanded mine a lot. The basic is all that's needed to control a heater, plus 3 other things, if the need arises

JimmyJ

I didn't get a chance to finish the post above as I am stuck at work, talking my wife through the process of cooling the tank which is now down to 80 degrees. This one is all my fault, I am an idiot :banghead: ... I have a new heater and controller but have not had a chance to install them yet. The old heater was just switched off this whole time and the tank stays at a good temp due to the warmer summer days. Some how the old heater got switched on again and it did what it does best and cooked the tank. Geez, I suck!!!!!!

lethal

Has been struck by the ban stick
Oh Jim, that is terrible news :(. Try not to beat yourself up over it, we all get busy and make mistakes. Hopefully your losses are at a minimum.

JimmyJ

Home now and can see the final damage. Only the tang survived, about to go fish out four dead fish thanks to my stupid mistake....

JimmyJ

Water changed + dead fish out + media changed + new heater installed + new controller installed = starting over

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
+1 - Try not to beat yourself up over it, we all get busy and make mistakes

here wishing the best for the re-start, hopefully you will never have to deal with the tank getting hot like that again !

steved13

PREMIUM
:( Very sorry to hear of your troubles :( We've all made mistakes, don't beat yourself up, it won't change anything anyway.

Anselth

Like everyone else said, we all make mistakes. It's how we learn from them. Glad to see you got a controller, they really are the way to go, especially for temp regulation.

JimmyJ

Thanks guys. Still sucks that is was my fault when I had everything within reach so this wouldn't happen.

After installing the controller I found that my other digital thermometer was off by about 3 degrees. Which means that when the tank was at 97 yesterday, it was really at 100.... Got to give it the Blue Tang for being able to deal with high temps twice now and still live. A true warrior fish.

JimmyJ

Just ordered the quick crew for the 130 from reefcleaners.org. Can't believe how cheap it is plus with free shipping. It comes out to about 30 cents a snail.