How to make homemade MUSH!

bluespotjawfish

Before my trip last week I made mush for the kids to feed while I was away. Just used what I had on hand:

Deli shrimp chopped in the blender and mixed with some frozen cubes (krill, mysis, and I don't remember what else). Then I added some freeze-dried cyclopeeze, mysis, plankton, seaweed select to which I added (Zoe, Selcon, VitaChem, Garlic Guard).

This made a thick paste that I spooned onto Press N Seal Freezer Wrap. I then folded the freezer wrap over the top and flattened each spoonful and pressed the seems so that each one made it's own little sealed pouch. Then I cut the pouches apart and placed them in a baggie. Each day the kids took a pouch out to feed.

This mixture works very well for both my small and large fish. It stays together for the big guy, but also easily breaks apart if the little ones are after it.

lcstorc

Hey I've got a question.
In Lee's nutrition thread she was talking about the importance of feeding the entire animal whenever possible. I would think the shrimp would be an easy way to add the whole thing.
Next time I make mine I'm going to use the whole shrimp and see how it goes.
I also add quite a bit of mysis to my mix. Pretty much whatever saltwater goodies the fish store has when I go.

IMO the eggcrate works even better than the mini ice cubes. It was a pain to fill each cube. The eggcrate made a great size cube and I could make however many I wanted and stack them to freeze.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Before my trip last week I made mush for the kids to feed while I was away. Just used what I had on hand:

Deli shrimp chopped in the blender and mixed with some frozen cubes (krill, mysis, and I don't remember what else). Then I added some freeze-dried cyclopeeze, mysis, plankton, seaweed select to which I added (Zoe, Selcon, VitaChem, Garlic Guard).

This made a thick paste that I spooned onto Press N Seal Freezer Wrap. I then folded the freezer wrap over the top and flattened each spoonful and pressed the seems so that each one made it's own little sealed pouch. Then I cut the pouches apart and placed them in a baggie. Each day the kids took a pouch out to feed.

This mixture works very well for both my small and large fish. It stays together for the big guy, but also easily breaks apart if the little ones are after it.

You DO realize we need PICS to validate your statements above! We need of the food being made AND the food being dispensed.

:)

cracker

Hey I've got a question.
In Lee's nutrition thread she was talking about the importance of feeding the entire animal whenever possible. I would think the shrimp would be an easy way to add the whole thing.
Next time I make mine I'm going to use the whole shrimp and see how it goes.
I also add quite a bit of mysis to my mix. Pretty much whatever saltwater goodies the fish store has when I go.

IMO the eggcrate works even better than the mini ice cubes. It was a pain to fill each cube. The eggcrate made a great size cube and I could make however many I wanted and stack them to freeze.
I have been thinking about Lee's mention of "whole fish" . Folks living near the coast could get whole "marine" fish from fish markets or more likely from friends who fish. Next time I actually catch a fish & bring it home for dinner I will save the internal organs.

I made some mush yesterday and poured it over some eggcrate to freeze. Today it looks great. Only problem is, how do you get them out of the crating???

I took a cookie sheet and put the eggcrating on it then poured the food on top and smoothed the food into each cube. But some oozed out the bottom and I can't get them out! HELP!!

vdituri

You could try setting them out for a bit so they defrost just enough to take the frost off. Maybe they will slide better then.

Anyone know if we could do this and use some kind of oil or pam to pretreat the eggcrate?

Cod liver oil maybe?

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
You could try setting them out for a bit so they defrost just enough to take the frost off. Maybe they will slide better then.

Anyone know if we could do this and use some kind of oil or pam to pretreat the eggcrate?

Cod liver oil maybe?

Humm... I don't think I would use any type of oil. Try using wax paper on the bottom.

It's not stuff stuck to the bottom that's really the problem. It's getting the food out of the little cubes! LOL My fish keep following me around the tank, begging for food!

JWarren

I think they do, they also have salmon oil as well.

Just a note on these fats folks, it will make your skimmer go nuts! Don't use too much or you will have a foam over flow!

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Eww lucky you :) One of my LFS is going to be stocking Rod's Food so HOPEFULLY after tomorrow night I'm DONE making it myself! LOL

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Have fun Stace!

Eww lucky you :) One of my LFS is going to be stocking Rod's Food so HOPEFULLY after tomorrow night I'm DONE making it myself! LOL

What?!? You've only made it once :p Try making it year after year :look:

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
:LOL: I've made it MANY times now. I make it once a month and it's getting Old! Not the food but the process :)

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Dude... you need to make a larger batch. I am just now using up the last 'flat' that I made in february.

Stacef

Hahaha! Al congrats on the Rod's food that's awesome, I know you have been searching for it for sometime now..

Stacef

Doni, can I ask why you don't use Rod's? I don't because I do not have access for it, and with shipping included, it's expensive compared to this. Do your lfs's have Rod's?