How to make homemade MUSH!

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
I had to make more fish/coral/anemone food today and decided to take pics along the way for others to see how it can be done.

INGREDIENTS I used:
  • 1/2 lb Shrimp $2.69
  • 1 salmon steak $2.80
  • 4 large scallops $2.86
  • 1 med piece sahimi tuna $2.09
  • 1/2 cup Omega One Super Veggie flake food
  • 2 sheets of nori
  • 15 'cubes' of Rotifers (frozen)
  • 1" of Cyclopeeze (frozen)
  • Selcon
  • Vita-Chem
  1. First peel the shrimp and remove the skin from any fish.
  2. Soak every ingredient in ro/di water for at least 5 min
  3. Strain off the water (use a net for the flake food)
  4. Blend the ingredients together - start with the larger/tougher ingredients first; pulse blend and don't over do it.... keep an eye on 'texture' because you want pieces of every size if possible. I usually blend mine fine to medium. Keep the texture thick but add ro/di or boiled tank water to thin if desired.
  5. Don't forget to add the Selcon and Vita-chem! You can also add garlic too!
  6. Once blended, spoon into ziplock bags for freezing. Make sure you keep the layer thin and write the date on each bag.
20080220MakinghomemadeMUSH004.jpg

20080220MakinghomemadeMUSH001.jpg

20080220MakinghomemadeMUSH002.jpg

20080220MakinghomemadeMUSH003.jpg

Even soak the flake food and nori!
20080220MakinghomemadeMUSH007.jpg

Use a net to strain the flake food and nori pieces
20080220MakinghomemadeMUSH008.jpg

20080220MakinghomemadeMUSH009.jpg

All blended!! YUMMY!! :yummy:
20080220MakinghomemadeMUSH010.jpg

20080220MakinghomemadeMUSH011.jpg

Ready to be frozen
20080220MakinghomemadeMUSH012.jpg

20080220MakinghomemadeMUSH013.jpg

ReefGuy69

now ur making me hungry for some crab cakes. very cool thanks for posting. What does Selcon do for the mixture? is it like a vitamin supplement?

vdituri

Coat in breadcrumbs and deep fry. Hmmmmmm

Thanks for the recipe Doni.
I've been hearing about this homemade mush for a year now. :goofy:

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Doni how do you "dispense" it? I wonder how you could make "cubes" out of it? I might try "spooning" it into an ice cube tray.

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Yep, Selcon and Vita-Chem are great!
Reef Aquarium Fish Foods & Vitamins: Selcon
Selcon

Ingredients:
Selco Highly Unsaturated Fatty Acids; Marine lipids - 200 mg/g.
Vitamin C stabilized (ascorbate-2-sulfate) - 200 mg.
Vitamin B12 Cyanocobalamin - 240 mcg.
Directions for Use:
Use several times each week.
Shake well, then soak any type of freeze-dried or frozen food in 0.5 ml of Selcon in plastic cup. After soaking, fill cup with water so that contents can be poured directly into aquarium. Water will temporarily cloud, benefiting all filter feeding invertebrates for several hours.
Feed 1.0 ml to a portion of live brine shrimp (aerate heavily) to enhance their nutritional value, then wait 12 hours before releasing brine shrimp into aquarium. For invertebrate/reef aquariums, add 0.5 ml per 50 gallons of water.

The only aquarium food booster to feature Omega-3 fatty acids in a concentration suitable for the serious saltwater aquarist. Also contains Vitamin B12 and stabilized Vitamin C to enhance immune system function to prevent and reverse disease. Soak any freeze-dried or frozen food or feed Selcon to live brine shrimp to improve their nutritional quality. It can also be used directly in reef aquariums to benefit filter-feeding invertebrates. Treats 6,000 gallons. For marine use only.

Features:
  • Excellent for reef aquariums
  • Filters may be kept running
  • Will not alter water chemistry
  • Does not contain yeast, phosphate, or nitrate
  • For marine use only

Vita-Chem

Aquarium Fish Vitamins & Supplements: Vita-Chem Marine & Freshwater
Vita-Chem.jpg

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Allen, I spread it thin, then freeze. Once frozen, just break off a small piece, thaw, then feed. My fish go nuts over this stuff :thumbup:

JWarren

Very nice post Doni! :)

I'm glad to see others making their on food!

Here's my recipe

Saves me a bundle of money.

I use aqua star mixed seafood. 3.99
Whiting fillet 4.99
Some dried krill 2.00
Two little fishes sea vegies (couple sheets) 1.50?
half a bottle (small) reef plus 2.50 (more if I need to thin the mix down)
half bottle Phyto 2.50 (more if I need to thin the mix down)
two tbs. garlic liquid - Seachem .15?

About $18.00. I get about 12 to 14 sandwich size zip lock bags from this mix. Lasts a long time!

The mixed seafood and whiting fillet are in the grocery's seafood freezer. I thaw it to where it is still slightly frozen. Thaw it out too much and you will have soup very fast! Keeping it a little frozen, gets it to the chunks sizes you want. Do the dry stuff first - sea vegies and krill.

I use a food processor for fish food and a blender for reef food. You just gotta use a little common sense and watch what is being eaten and what is not when feeding homemade food and eliminate from the recipe what is not being eaten.

My fish run to me when they see the turkey baster come out. My tank never looked so good since I started doing my own mix because I eliminate what dose not get eaten. I try to put a little something for everyone in it.

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Neato cube idea Lorraine and Allen :thumbup:

Snelly - adding the vitamins is just a guess . I tried to add a several drops per 1" of food :rolleyes: I think it came out to several squirts of each bottle. Not scientific but it is the best I can do.
I also feed nori on a clip twice a day. I have several types of pellet and flake food in the freezer but my fish prefer the mush instead.

John - great recipe. That's the great thing about making your own food! You can mix and match different ingredients each time!

Gina

RS STAFF
Doni how do you "dispense" it? I wonder how you could make "cubes" out of it? I might try "spooning" it into an ice cube tray.

We purchased those mini ice cube trays off e-bay and would put our mush in those. It worked great!

Attachments

• 100_2225 (Small).JPG
    100_2225 (Small).JPG
    47.5 KB · Views: 358

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Gina THAT'S what I'm looking for! Guess I'm OFF to Ebay :D

Now I have a "Quality" mush recipe I need a "quality" mush container :)