How to make homemade MUSH!

sambrinar

yeah after my experiment I tried to soak the freeze dried cyclopeeze and strain, ummm lets just say the drain got most of it. Live and learn...

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
yeah after my experiment I tried to soak the freeze dried cyclopeeze and strain, ummm lets just say the drain got most of it. Live and learn...

Try using a brine shrimp net. They are white and a much tighter knit that will strain very small things.

sambrinar

good to know woodstock, thanks, another question, does you homemade mush stink. OMG, my first mush was all frozen prepared food mixed together, this is from fresh ingredience. I have it frozen but it is pretty stinky, I am thinking it is normal, just wanna check...

sambrinar

Yep that would be the odor. You know I was thinking, I put cat fish in there, is that too oily. I've only given it to the fishies 3 times, think I should toss it and start over. It was only $1.50 total.

The deli dept just got in some clams and muscles, I could redo it and use those with the shrimp.. there are only 2 fish max 2"ea, so buying a piece of salmon would be way too much. And frankly I hate fish.

What do ya think. Thanks

Woodstock

RS STAFF
With only $1.50 into it, yes, I would throw it out and start over. Teh freshwater fish does not have the proper nutrients that marinefish require.

sambrinar

that is what I was thinking, but the clams and muscles should be ok right?? with shrimp. And my vitamins will be here tomorrow anyway. I am limited on what I can get, because the stores here don't carry much in a selection. Thanks for your input

Woodstock

RS STAFF
:yummy: Oh yeah, add lots of seafood (fresh) ingredients! Clams, muscles, shrimp, fish, scallops, roe, etc, etc.,
Of course with you only having 2 small fish, you'll probably just need one of each ingredient to make 3 month's supply ;)

sambrinar

I got my selcon and vita chem yesterday, went to the store and got 2 muscles, 2 clams and 2 shrimp (with a weird look). Now my fish are only 1 O clown and a wheeler watchman gobie.

The vita Chem is not too vague, says 1 drop per gal, but the selcon just says soak food in .5ml add water and dump in....

Does anyone know how much selcon and vita chem I should add. Can I OD my fish??

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Humm...I do not measure the vitachem or selcon. I would suggest that you ask Leebca that question.

wlninja

I have a question about the mush mix. I see you have Rotifers and Cyclop eeze in the mix, I looked these up on drfostersmith.com and it sounds like these are more for reef tanks with corals. I have a FOWLR tank and have no plans for corals so I was wondering if these items would be worth adding to my mush? My main concern is the price for 750 grams, I dont know how far that goes, but I imagine it would get freezer burn before I ever used all of it.

So the long and short is for my tank is the $60+ of frozen food worth it for my tank? Or would I be wasting money?

As an aside the LFS's freezer just died yesterday and they lost all their frozen foods and are not sure when they will have any back in. Also Im not sure they carried either of these to begin with so I'd have to buy it online somewhere.

Thanks!

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Using shrimp (or another gellatin base) will hold the mush together so even though the pieces are small, they should bind together in large chunks. The fish, both large and small, should be able to bite off pieces easily. The degree of binding will be determined from the amount of shrimp/gellatin you use.
With that said, you do not have to use rotifers or cyclopeez if you don't want to.

Goannaman

Sooo... I finally read this thread, as I am getting close to adding fish. I had one question about soaking.

Is anyone concerned that soaking is leeching nutrients out of the food? Granted it reduces phosphate, but I imagine that is not the only thing being left in the water.

Brady92

wow just made some of my own mush and this feeds alot for what i thought it would be im going to have to feed less than a 1/4 cube for my 15g's but they seem to love it they are going crazy

i used some blood worms and some clams from the local market here next time ill go to the fish market and pick up some more ingredients

i only used clams because i bought them for my starfish and they came in a pack of like 20 so i figured why not try making my own fish food haha but next time im going to follow a recipe similar to this one

SantaMonica

PREMIUM
Here's another option that I used for years:

30 ml dried copepods ($)
10 ml dried phyto ($$)
10 ml dried arctic pods ($$)
10 ml dried rotifers ($$)
1/2 teaspoon sodium alginate powder ($)
16 ounces water

Blend, refrigerate overnight, blend again, and put in chiller

I get the pods from AquacultureNurseryFarms.com, and the alginate from WillPowder.com/sodiumAlginate.html (alginate is from algae). I've found the big advantage of powdered foods compared to liquid foods is that it almost does not smell at all (only a bit like hay), and it does not seem to ever go bad in the chiller, even after 6 weeks. Just have to stir it every few days.

I recently made my own mush and man did my corals love it!

I used a mixture of a number of things.
-Mysis shrimp
-blended shrimp, scallops, and salmon
-reef chili

Then put it into a old brine shrimp packet for perfect portion size.

9a5a3y7e.jpg
e3yby9a7.jpg
syme9ere.jpg
9yvama9u.jpg

RSM250 w/ Steve's LEDs