Glenn's RSM 130D

Dweezil

Re: Glenn's new RSM 130D

I really like the picture of the candy cane. Came out nice! The FTS looks spooky......getting close to halloween. LOL

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF

Got to move my 130D across the room so the new 250 can go in it's place -

Anyone have an idea as to what it's going the weigh, if I drain all but maybe 6 inches of water?

My back not to up to heavy lifting & trying to figure out if I can pick it up with my 24 year old (and athletic) son or if I need to find someone else to help us.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM

A cubic foot (12" x12") of water weighs 62.4 lbs. Maybe that will give you a bit of an idea. Then add the tank, rock and sand weight. I might try to add another able body to the moving crew if you can. I know my old back couldn't handle it!

I'd pull the hood and be sure to siphon out the back too - I don't think it will drain past the gate level?

You'll need a temporary place to put the tank too - while you move the cabinet - hopefully something strong and raised, to make it easier to lift the tank back up and onto the relocated cabinet. Fun? NOT!

Per Red Sea the tank weighs about 440 lbs full, with water, rock and sand, but I can't find an empty tank weight,

I would have thought to heavy, not necessarily because of the weight but because of the size, shape and construction. I think you stand a risk of damaging the cabinet and if your really unlucky cracking the tank.

I’d empty it if I were you.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF

I have to run it for the next 2 or 3 months while the new tank cycles & have been thinking I didn't want to tear it all down - you guys think draining all but enough water to keep the fish alive is a bad idea?

Only moving it 15 ' across the room... but I have never moved a tank before.

All advise appreciated ! Moving it this weekend...

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM

Glenn - I went back & added a few things to post 1410. It won't be easy - just be careful and be sure to have as much help as you can get.

kyley

New 250!? I missed something Glenn! Yay! Congrats - you'll love the extra space!

No idea on the moving questions... I think you'll definitely need some strong help moving it though. My guess is it would be best to try to get the fish and almost all the water out. Even a small amount would slosh all around in the (short) move and make a real mess - not sure how well the fish would make it through that? Leaving the higher rocks could likely fall and crack the glass, so should probably get all but the base rocks out. Sorry I'm not more help - just some random thoughts... Good luck,
--Kyle

redsea reefer

I would drain more than half of the water and put it in a tub, leave enough water for the fish to swim in and remove all the top rock and place in tub. Have at least 5 people. One person at each corner of the tank and one to move the stand and place in the new location. Start filling the water back up and placing rock and coral back. Good luck Glenn!

reeferman

ive moved a 28gal Nano Cube HQI with an appliance dolly very carefully.i removed most of the water except enough for the fish as you said.i removed any loose rock or corals that might fall.most of the rock was stacked against the back wall and was pretty stable.we tilted the tank and stand[i moved them together] ever so slightly to the front,slid dolly in from back and laid it back,used the straps on the dolly to hold tank and stand in place and just moved it to the next room.i was refinishing my hardwoods and didnt want the dust and fumes to get to tank.it worked just fine.i rolled it very slowly and had no rockslides or deaths.i left it on the dolly for about 2 weeks and rolled it back in place after i sealed the floors.if you dont have a good dolly,you can rent one from an equipment rental.you need a good one with 2 ratchet straps.i would worry about the weight of the sand,rock and water cracking the bottom glass as the weight shifts if you tried to move it with everything in it and lifting from the sides.hope this helps.