Forum Hacked (corrected hopefully) - please read!

ReefLady

Staff member
Thanks everyone!

The timing sure couldn't have been worse, but when duty calls... I mean I can't enjoy a honeymoon with all my friends at RS living in chaos!!

Update for everyone: There was a chance that tapatalk was used to exploit the site so I have removed that for the time being. Sorry.

catran

Opps, I PM'd you for that reason Travis. Sorry, I didn't see this post. I can access RS with Safari too, like Jared said, ya gotta do what ya gotta do!
Thanks!

nazerine

To those who were curious about the virus, this is what I had detected before the site was hacked:

nazerine said:
It would appear the install of vbulletin has a virus and has been exploited! My corporate gateway alerted me of the threat.

I created an exception for my IP address, and it attempted to run a script and install a trojan (not sure what attack vector it is using, browsing with latest Firefox)

Code:
Object:
C:\Windows\SysWOW64\QSHVHOSTN.exe
Threat:
Win32/Qhost.NRX trojan
Information:
cleaned by deleting - quarantined

It was only attacking users who were not logged in, and would attempt to infect on the login page. No idea what the attack vector was, but it got straight into my system from the browser when I disabled the gateway anti virus. Running FF8 and only Firebug addon

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

Funlad3

Has been struck by the ban stick
So you're saying everyone who wasn't logged in at the time with an unprotected windows OS has a virus? Mac FTW!

mojoreef

Just a reefer
If you go to the home page and do a view source and then look down at the very bottom of the page their is a Href, that i am assuming should not be their.

href="http://birthcontroltablets.com/es/comprar-genericos-alesse-comprimido.cfm">alesse anticonceptivo</a></div> </div> <br /><div style="z-index:3" class="smallfont" align="center">

mojo

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
I see that Mike !

</div><div style="position:absolute;top:-1000px;left:-1000px;"><a href="http://birthcontroltablets.com/es/comprar-genericos-alesse-comprimido.cfm">alesse anticonceptivo</a></div> </div>

Does that mean the php code been hacked?

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
Well heres the part of my life I wish I'd paid more attention during computer programming.:evileye:

mojoreef

Just a reefer
I operate a forum also and I can tell you its a constant attack, between spam bots, linkbackers (you know "Work at Home") and hackers you really need to be on the ball constant and even that is far from a guarantee of being safe. Travis make sure you have your server check all the code, because hackers will leave code bits (even if you upgrade) to be able to get back in.

good luck

mojo

Frankie

RS STAFF
What timing Travis! Have a great honeymoon!

Good work everyone with the reports and quick understanding that this was an attack by a hacker.

Anyone who received a pm from me asking for money, it was not me. Those of you stupid enough to send it... THANKS!
JK ;)

Happy reefing everyone!

Frank