Ecotech Radion Reviews

steved13

PREMIUM
Thansk Tom.
@pimpala - I agree they are just LEDs....overdriven as well hahaha. That's why i'm wondering if they are worth it. I really like them and it seems two of them would fit nicely over a 120.......just trying to find out what the AI sol equivalent would be aswell.

decisions, decision.

As far as I know they are both 1 unit for 24"X24", I'm not sure why you would need more AIs? If you're looking at the AI chart it is very conservative, if I went by their chart I would need 10 units and 4 are working well.

+1 VDM and you don't need the AI controller. The AIs will be upgradable to wireless soon, the cost of the upgrade is estimated (from AI) at $100 for the wireless controller, and $50 for each module to upgrade to wireless.

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
I saw one in action this weekend and all I can say is WOW. I was very impress with the unit. They had one light over a tank that had to be 40"X24" and it covered it all and then some.

So let me see If I understand this correctly. 3 fixtures will work over my 220?

Woohoo Matt has tapatalk back

jpsika08

Bryan, you need to make a decision quickly before the thread derails into a AI vs Radion debate LMAO!!!!

Which ever path you go your corals will thank you. :)

DanSReef

I might get flamed here....as I have not been a too frequent contributor to this forum. But I have appreciated a lot of what you all have done and used a lot of your learnings in my current tanks as well as my new project a 90 Gal Corner Bow Front Build. The tank is 30" deep and as you know...a tank of that depth is near impossible to light properly. I reviewed the Radions and the AI's. I have seen both fixtures in use and they both are great.

I would suggest that you look at the Apollo Reef LED Dimable SolarBlast 15k fixtures. I have spent some time researching this...and have decided to go with the Apollo over a Radion or AI. I would suggest that you reach out to Joe at Apollo and check out this fixture. By the way, this is a new fixture... They also have a non-dimable model. They have recently modified both to increase the coverage footprint because they had some much power and Par. Joe can provide you some real comparisons between the three fixtures and can provide you some good food for thought. From a price point... they are on par with the AI Sol and Sol Blues....while being more "Full Spectrum" including UV LEDs....something AI and Radions do not have yet. The SolarBlast 15k Dimable requires the use of an Apex Controller and VDM Module. They do not have their own controller at this point.

I am not affiliated with Apollo. That said, I find Joe and his team to be highly responsive. They have a great fixture.

Good Luck!

DanSReef

As I finished my note just now... I realized I could also provide you some more detail directly from exchanges I have had with Joe... for consideration:

In my response to Red and Green LEDs for "Full Spectrum"

"We tested red led and found it promotes algae growth.

Our 6500k and 14000k mix of whites with rhe 453 and 403nm are very wide spectrum whites have spikes into red and green spectrums."

In response to my question on coverage:
"Our dimmable covers even more area than 2 x 2 x 2 Iit is good out to 32" x
31 and up to 40" deep!"

"Here are our new numbers for our dimable

24″ 370 PAR 29″ 245 PAR 40″ 150 PAR

100 PAR is the industry accepted standard to grow any SPS or clam so that is the number we use to determine the real coverage of the fixture at different depths.

Our 100 PAR radius for our dimable now covers

30 x 28″ at 24″ Depth 32 x 29″ at 30″ Depth 31 x30 at 40″ Depth

reefer gladness

Vivid Aquariums has an interesting experiment going on over their 800 gallon display tank with half lit by metal halides and half lit by Ecotech Radions.

Vivid Aquariums - Small Business - Canoga Park, CA | Facebook

I LoL'd over the 12 Radion fixtures ($10k lighting over 400 gallons!!!) but this looks to be a great experiment to compare growth. They're saying it's too early to really give updates on coral growth, etc. but they've got some nice pics up.

For my piece I think the Radions look great but having an understanding of the relatively low manufacturing cost I would never buy one at the current prices.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
My only additional information is that I can assure you that Ecotech (and other High End LED fixtures manufacturers) are implementing Red & Green into the mix and it's not because they "promote algae growth". Dan I'm not flaming you because I am sure that's exactly what Joe said but the fact of the matter is there is a benefit to adding R&G leds to the fixture. That's unless some of the leading figures in lighting technology (not just LED) are wrong about their recent articles and studies.

On another note... Tyler is right on that the Reds & Greens do give a totally different "Eye Pleasing" factor to LED lights. I'm speaking from experience because I'm running a DIY fixture that runs only Whites & blues. I've been running it for a couple of years now and am planning to supplement my tank with add-on units to help with that very situation.

Bryan I don't think you'll go wrong with either of these fixtures as they are both from trusted and reputable companies with a history of high quality components.

Here is a video I think fits here perfectly:

[video=youtube_share;wU-XtZXz7AU]http://youtu.be/wU-XtZXz7AU[/video]

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
That is a great video Allen.....love it! I assume the red and green colors will allow for much better picture taking if it fills in the spectrum better.

I just wonder what AI's "answer" to the radion is going to be......you know they have to be thinking about it. I read on another forum that the DIY replication of the AI sol isn't that much cheaper (save less than $100 a fixture). I really like the technology and design of the radion but it seems like they are charging a premium for it.

I'm bouncing between the 120 and the 180 but i think I at least got some answers:
@ a 120, I would either go 2 radions or start with 2 AI SOL and add another if i needed it.
@ a 180, I would either go 3 radions or start with 3 AI SOL and add more as neeeded.

I'll start a new tank thread once I pick a tank size!

dmatt88

I'll go so far as Xmas giggle. Hohohohoho. Al dude seriously that's one of the funniest things u have ever said.

I wouldn't be surprised if AI has an update to their fixtures incorporating other colors too. Personally, I love my AI fixtures but I'm also anxious to try the Radions

dmatt88

Jeez now I'm sold. This is gunna REALLY please my wife. Ya only live once right? Hopefully my wife agrees.

artpics

Not so good write up here

Ecotech Marine's Radion XR30 LED Light: a Swing and a Miss? - Captive Aquatics: An Aquarium and Ecology Blog

sig.php

TylerHaworth

I wouldn't be surprised if AI has an update to their fixtures incorporating other colors too. Personally, I love my AI fixtures but I'm also anxious to try the Radions

I've actually been thinking about this myself... I really wonder if the delayed release to the public of "Phoenix" is because AI decided to incorporate some sort of RGB functionality, since the "Phoenix" in its current form isn't really a new product but more of a Sol 2.0. If I were them, I would most definitely be doing this, because releasing a "new" product that lacks the RGB spectrum would essentially be intentionally releasing an inferior product.