Ecotech Radion Reviews

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Anyone have a recent Radion review that they know of? I see a bunch from September but i'd like to see one that has been done after they have had the light for a while. At $750 a light they are playing in quite the high end market and i'm wondering if it is worth it.

Thanks!

jpsika08

Tom, (tnwillia), just setup his over the RSM club forum.

Two Radions over the RSM 250, pm him :)

jjmoneyman

RS Sponsor
I saw one in action this weekend and all I can say is WOW. I was very impress with the unit. They had one light over a tank that had to be 40"X24" and it covered it all and then some.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
I guess my concern is are they worth it. I've read a bunch that the red and green are a waste other than filling in the spectrum and then comparing the blue and whites they are about the same with other higher end LED's. I agree that they are awesome and i love the wireless piece (vs the AI daisy chain) but i want to make sure they are the right buy.

I'm building out a 180 and 3 radions or 6 AI Sol are the same cost so they "seem" like the way to go......i'm just looking for the "experience reviews".

I ran the 180 budget by the (soon to be) wife.....a mild cringe but in the end I think i got the OK! I'm having Miracles price out a rimless euro braced (perimiter and possibly cross braces too) 180 and i'll compare that against the All Glass traditional RR to see if the "sleek" look is worth the added expense. stay tuned.

I'll hit Tom up. Thanks guys!

I would also like to ad, if you already have the thumbs up on the Radions how is there even a question? If it were me, they'd be ordered within minutes, before she has a change of heart. :)

PIMPALA

It does NOT take 6 AI to cover the same as 3 radions.

look at the units. they are still just LEDs. Ecotech doesnt have any top secret CIA type LEDs. They are super awesome and all of that... but its still LEDs!

tnwillia

Second one is a great full review done Friday past. Everything I've run across is on the last few pages of my tank thread and Ecotech has a Community Forum for the Radions as well as everything else they make. Everything others have come across is posted there, good and bad. Ecotech is jumping to fix any reported problems. In most cases people are having a hard time with the software although I have not. We are trying to get them to build a mounting rail for multiple lights and the additions/options to the lights are coming out as they get them built (example, Natural mode released last week, 29 day Lunar is still in the works. I love them! Good luck which ever way you go!

Ecotech Marine Radion XR30w Unboxed | Marine Engineers

*Update 12-9-11* EcoTech Radion XR30w Reviewed | Marine Engineers

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Thansk Tom.
@pimpala - I agree they are just LEDs....overdriven as well hahaha. That's why i'm wondering if they are worth it. I really like them and it seems two of them would fit nicely over a 120.......just trying to find out what the AI sol equivalent would be aswell.

decisions, decision.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Like already mentioned.. if she didn't pass out at the mention/cost of Radions in the beginning they would already be on order right now. I don't see how it takes 2x the AI either.

You say they are over-driven? By how much? I need to go look up some specs because the last thing I'd really "PUSH" is an LED array. I'd much rather invest in higher wattage LED and under-drive them in order to reach their long-life expectancy and not produce so much heat. One of the drawbacks to LED is that their performance/efficiency isn't linear to power consumption. As they are driver harder (ie using more power) they aren't producing the same ratio of light BUT are producing more heat. Their "peak efficiency" zone is less than 100% so that's why I said I'd rather get higher power LED and under-drive them.

Even with all that being said... if I were you I'd be saying, "I wonder what day my Radions are going to be delivered?"

jpsika08

I think with 4 units placed parallel to the length of the tank would suffice.

I have six parallel with the depth of the tank, and get great cover over the length.
You would need only to place them at least 12 to 13" above water surface.

$ 2,000 on 4 AI's compared to $ 3,000 on 4 Radions, the saving can go for the new skimmer ;)

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
@Al......I read that the whites are driven at 5 watts (I think they are supposed to eb at 3). And you're correct, they start to draw more power.

I'm still between a 120 or a 180 and I have them both priced out.......for some reason I can't pull the trigger!!

I wanted to avoid the lighting over the brace......the shadow it casts isn't what i wanted but i guess it isn't too bad. I'm trying to get a quote on tanks from Miracles and they would give it a perimeter or cross brace euro brack which would be glass and thus getting rid of the previous issue.

On a 120, i would do either 2 radions or 3 AI's right?

On the 180 it would be either be 3 radions or 4 AI's

grrrr

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
As for the skimmer.....I'm getting one all pimped out from Jeff at lifereef.......THAT is a definite!

Going dead rock really frees up some funds though. :)

TylerHaworth

The reds and greens are definitely not a waste unless your ONLY goal is growth with disregard to appearance (I.E. frag / growout system)... The colors generated to our eyes by a radion are far superior to a blue/white only unit.

I surmise that the beneficial light for the corals are no different between the units, but I want my reef to look natural, not like a stone cold washed out blue tank.

When you break down the AI Sol vs Radion cost... You must remember the Radions have extra LED channels requiring extra drivers in order to support the RGB functionality. Pair that with EcoTech's unmatched customer service, outstanding build quality, and amazingly simple software and I do not see a single reason to put the AI units over a display tank when compared to the Radions.

My 2 cents.

TylerHaworth

No, I meant exactly what I said.

The Radion unit itself looks better, the light is more appealing in the tank, they're easier to control, they come from an established and respected company... No brainer here, you get what you pay for.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
If i went with the AI SOl, i would need to by their controller if I planned to control them through the Apex right? I'm leaning towards the Radions......just need to play devils advocate with myself!

you using the radions on your 120 Tyler?