Ecotech Radion Reviews

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Cat I'll take your money. I've got a hand full of LED flashlights with your name on them LOL

reefer gladness

We've known for a long time that the blue/white combination grows well, I just don't see why a company would put out a new fixture that doesn't incorporate aesthetics as well... Buying a fixture that lacks the full RGB function is akin buying an unpainted car in my opinion - It's just an incomplete product.

There seem to be two schools of though when it comes to aquarium lighting - those that focus trying to replicate the ocean environment and those who are primarily concerned with the living room environment. There's no right or wrong answer here, it's just like the equalizer on your car stereo.

White light spectrum is the entire range of colors visible so it certain includes red and green. But how much red and green light is actually available under water in the ocean? Quoting the article below at the depth of 8ft red starts to fade and is filtered out of the visible light spectrum by 14 ft.

Vivid Light Photography Online

For me this basically puts red and green LED's in the category of the lightning strike effects - it's eye candy. If it brings a smile to your dial than it's worth it but it won't make your corals grow any faster.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
r g it's a bit more complicated than what Mr. Harley has talked about in that article. Many of our coral come from areas that get a good deal of Reds before they are filtered out by the water. For fun I'd suggest you get the CORAL magazine from this month (or last month I can't remember) with LED on the cover. If memory serves me correctly R&G is talked about in detail in that magazine. If not that one then something else "reputable" I've read recently pointed out why some R&G are beneficial.

In the end it really comes down to what makes you happy because we know that most all of the "Trusted" LED fixtures out there will grow coral :)

jpsika08

And here comes another new contender (From a VERY reputable brand).

Teszla LED is Giesemann’s first pure LED aquarium light fixture

News just out of the oven.
"First off, we can’t tell you how drool-worthy the white trim of the Teszla makes it look – it may be thicker in the middle of the fixture but the graceful tapering edges really help to literally frame the Teszla in a unique form factor. The Giesemann Teszla has independent control of at least three channels piping 66 watts of power to 20 diodes: Cree XM-L white, Cree XP blue and royal blues and two unspecified “special” LEDs."

steved13

PREMIUM
White light spectrum is the entire range of colors visible so it certain includes red and green. But how much red and green light is actually available under water in the ocean? Quoting the article below at the depth of 8ft red starts to fade and is filtered out of the visible light spectrum by 14 ft.

I think we should make sure not to lose site of these sentences. You do not need a red or green LED to have red or green spectrum in your tank. The proof is, look at tanks with just white LED...you can see red and green in the tank, if there were no red or green in the light you wouldn't be able to see red or green in the tank. Once you dive past a certain depth...14 ft sounds right...you don't see any red...I dove with a girl who was wearing a pink wet suit...the pink quickly disappeared and it turned blue until we got back closer to the surface.

Just a reminder, things aren't actually any particular color, they just reflect a certain color...all color comes from the light...no red light... no red object, or coral, or fish...if you see something that is red, then red has to be in the light that is reflecting.

xelnaga15

I think we should make sure not to lose site of these sentences. You do not need a red or green LED to have red or green spectrum in your tank. The proof is, look at tanks with just white LED...you can see red and green in the tank, if there were no red or green in the light you wouldn't be able to see red or green in the tank. Once you dive past a certain depth...14 ft sounds right...you don't see any red...I dove with a girl who was wearing a pink wet suit...the pink quickly disappeared and it turned blue until we got back closer to the surface.

Just a reminder, things aren't actually any particular color, they just reflect a certain color...all color comes from the light...no red light... no red object, or coral, or fish...if you see something that is red, then red has to be in the light that is reflecting.

So agreeing and continuing... reading this brought something into mind that I didn't really think about. If one went with the AI Sol blue fixtures, red colored items would loose their flashyness under this lighting?

steved13

PREMIUM
I see plenty of red, and great "pop" under the AI sol Blues. Even under the "blue's" only, with the "white" at 0, there is still some red in the spectrum.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Someone made a comment about the radions being visually pleasing..... Does the specific red and green LED's provide that?

steved13

PREMIUM
Someone made a comment about the radions being visually pleasing..... Does the specific red and green LED's provide that?

I think that is what they were refering to, that's the way I took it. With the AIs, it does take a minute to get used to them. The "white" sand has a slight blue cast to it, however after a minute you start looking at the rest of the tank and it looks great.

If I was to do my lighting again today, I would probably opt for the Radions, I don't mind spending the money on my tank, and options are nice. Although at almost twice the price, I'd have to give it some thought. I say I would probably go with the radions, because the reds and greens can be turned off, if they couldn't be turned off, I would not buy them. I haven't seen anything 100% credible, saying they won't "hurt" the livestock, and I suspect with the limited number of emitters, they won't. However, millions of years of evolution of creatures who live mostly with very little light in that spectrum, leads me to trust my common sense and wonder, at the very least.

FYI, I should probably add that since you can adjust the 3 "colors" on the AI fixture, you can eliminate the blue cast, but at that point the colors don't pop as nicely.

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
Anybody have experience with the newest Apollo leds? Ya not Cree leds but par galore.

Woohoo Matt has tapatalk back

yankieman

Ok I fell in love with the Radions the first time I seen them but the price is so damn high I hate to settle but I may go with the AIs , but then again im undecided too, I need one fixture to finish off my tank since i have 2 250 halides on it now covering 2/3rds , I would like to eventualy faze out the hallides and go to LEDs,, 3 Radions would break my bank,, 3 AIs I could manage,, but I WANT!! the Radions,,,, LOL what to do what to do,,,,, hope that helped LMAO

tnwillia

OK, Look at the difference between AI & Radion cost. Then subtract half your MH electric bill for 2012 and the cost of new MH bulbs at least once in 2012. When you finished.... order the Radions LOL. Have fun which ever way you go!