Dave's RSM 500

Stody0

Hi David,

The tank looks fantastic, I can wait for next year to come now so I can get started on my living room, after seeing yours set up and the one at Oasis, I have decided to go for the white one and not the black that I first wanted. Looking forward to the next batch of photo's.

Regards

Al

colaboy

Hahaha, it's funny to realize one now need a heater. Where RSM130/250 owners do everything possible to get rid of the heat, now the world is upside down. :)

I believe in this tank and the quality of it. Also the price is more or less justified. I do think it's good to realize how much bigger this tank is.

I do have some points of concern:

- Noise levels. At night, while in the bedroom one floor higher, I sometimes can hear a low humming noise from one of the pumps (RSM250). VERY annoying. I really hope that everything is more or less quiet now.

- Lightning: With the open hood design how much light is there leaking to the living room?

- Monthly costs: Twice as high as with a RSM250?

- Water changes/maintenance. Twice the amount of water, twice the weight to carry it around, etc, etc. How much I like and love my RSM250, it is not my main hobby, and with having a little child of 10 months my free time available is not what is used to be.... :)

Anyway.... Love this tank. Love this thread! Let your experiences and more pictures come in!!!!

Ramon

Thanks everyone. I have just sat down from 3 days of setting it up. Everything now seems to be up and running, and tweaked all the settings to get everything quiet and at optimum recommended settings.

Tammy, don't worry, i dipped everything before putting it in the tank, so i am critter free.

I am so gonna love cleaning this tank, i may need to get a bigger cleaning stick now!

I know this is a side conversation but - Just curious - what do you dip your stuff in to keep it critter free? - and by stuff - I assume you mean rock - and by critters I assume you mean baddies? I have lots of rock in a couple tanks that I plan on consolidating into an s-series (hopefully 650 if I can hold out that long). One tank is infested with aiptasia (which I bought an aiptasia eating filefish for), but right now he's pretty small and the population of nems doesn't even seem to be affected. Are you dipping in Lugol's???

jim891217

wow.. it looks great...
now i am starting to regret my decision of buying the RSM250 in Nov. which I could just wait one more month to get this S series baby...

David Shaw

Hello people. Well i didn't fall into the tank!

It has been a mad week with me working long hours so i haven't had a chance to update.

The S-500 is now up and running and looks stunning. I have spoken to Kevin from Red Sea a couple of times for help and advice over the last week and he has been amazing with his help and support. I cannot praise him or Red Sea enough.

I have learned a lot this week, lots of wet socks, lifting, assembling and cleaning up packaging but i finally got there. I will post some pics over the weekend for you all to see of the new S-500.

PS Tokalsoh, no i am in a house not a flat

lethal

Has been struck by the ban stick
Good news David, we didn't want to have to send out a Navy Seal team to retrieve you. Looking forward to those pics when you get the chance.

David Shaw

:) Thanks Leigh

I will need to buy a bigger cleaning stick now for sure, my arms aren't long enough and i don;t want to fall in trying to get into those corners - you all know how i like a clean tank :)

I was just informed that the map price on the 500s is going to be 4200 plus freight. yikes....... Now I am really thinking this is too much. I was fully on board at the mid 3 range but at over 4k plus 200 freight from texas. I am going to reconsider.

David Shaw

I went to the LFS today and bought a new extra long cleaning stick for the S-500 :)

I also did a 10% water change tonight. Everything is now up and running smoothly. Water levels in the sump all on target and the skimmer is working like a dream. Removing the 130D from the house tomorrow and off it will go to a good home.

I am so glad that the assembly and initial setup is now competed, so i can kick back and enjoy it just in time for the Christmas break.

Really looking forwards to populating it with some new fish and corals. I plan on having a clean and colourful tank. I will post more pics at the weekend. Is there anything in particular you would like to see or for me to talk about in setting it up? If so just ask.

jpsika08

David,
Did you already installed an ATO for this tank? I assume it will consume at least 8 gallons weekly.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Did you already installed an ATO for this tank?

Juan - these tanks come with an ATO built in & a built in reservoir - I believe, David can confirm

Would be interested to know the temp it runs at, do you have a chiller & how much topoff water you are using a week