Dave's RSM 500

David Shaw

Juan - these tanks come with an ATO built in & a built in reservoir - I believe, David can confirm

Would be interested to know the temp it runs at, do you have a chiller & how much topoff water you are using a week

Yes it comes with a built in reservoir that is incorporated into the tank. The intergrated R/O unit holds about 25 litres i believe. I am still getting used to everything and so not taken readings of how much top off water it is using so far. The brochure states that it it is enough for approx 5 days, but i would assume that is an average depending on how long you have the lights on etc. It is currently running at 78-80 degrees with no need of a chiller so far.

The tank is running quietly with no noise issues or micro bubbles. The glass is incredibly clear and the water as clear as the glass.

The corals are in from the 130D and i am still tweaking their placements to find the best spot for them. In effect the tank has 4 in-tank circulation pumps. The main pump from sump to tank and 3 circulation pumps. All are nozzle adjustable. The flow in the tank is strong.

colaboy

David,

Really good to hear that it is noiseless and for now it's running without a chiller. That's excellent!

How is the skimmer working?

Greetings,
Ramon

Stody0

Hi David, So pleased that it has all gone to plan, after seeing the 500 in Oasis last week has made me want one sooner rather than later. You mentioned that you have introduced all the corals from the 130D, can I ask how you transferred them ?, did you put them all in bags and float them as we would normally do when bringing them back from the LFS ?. What have you done with the fish, are they still in the 130D?, if so are you going to introduce them over a period of a few weeks?. Sorry for all the questions but I am trying to put a plan together for moving my stock from the 130D to the new tank when I get it.

Looking forward to seeing the new pictures.

Cheers

Al

steved13

PREMIUM
Sounds great David! How big a pain is it to get the RO water into the chamber? Thanks!

Tom, I was just checking out the video, it looks very easy, it's a chamber at the back of the tank right on top. It would be where the site glass chamber is on an RSM 250.

tnwillia

Hey Steve, I saw that in the video too after asking. I wonder based on how close to the wall and at the tank height if it's a pain lifting and pouring 5 gal of water into that corner. I guess you can top it up more often but that kind of defeats the purpose LOL. Thanks!

steved13

PREMIUM
LOL, When I watched the video, my first thought was...no way I'd have it that close to the wall.

I'd make some kind of a clip on float valve for the RODI tubing.

David Shaw

So far, what i do is put fresh R/O water into a bucket then just syphon it into the top up chamber. No splashing that way, and you can tell how much is going in.

Stody, i ran the 130D in the kitchen while the 500 ran for a week with just the cured rock. I also added "Dr Tim's One and Only" on day 1, which is nitrifying bacteria. Using this, the tank cycled really fast and the ammonia spike was tiny and came and went really quickly. All readings are now spot on. DrTims Home

I then transferred the corals as we would do buying from the LFS.

I spent all day tweaking the rock-scaping, skimmer, flow settings, water levels etc. The tank now looks amazing and have the corals in. The skimmer is running perfectly and the whole tank is whisper quiet, in fact a lot quieter than my 130D.

The S 500 has 10 T5 lights plus moonlights. I have set mine up as follows, and the total combination of lights on time is currently at 8 hours.

2 lights, middle unit come on 30 mins before main lights
After 30 minutes, the 8 main lights on the front and back panel come on and the middle panel 2 go out
After dark, the front and rear lights go out and 2 middle unit lights come on
At 10.30pm the middle unit lights go out and on come the moonlights

Having the two middle unit lights on in the evening is perfect for the lounge. Not too bright at all, so it does't become distracting by flooding the room with light.

Stody, get your order in for the 500, you won't be disappointed. Both Red Sea Kevin and Oasis have been amazing with their advice and guidance. If you go ahead with buying one, I definitely recommend buying from the guys at Oasis.

David Shaw

Your most welcome! Anything else you need to ask just shout. It's all still so new, but i will do my best to answer and questions from a customer point of views as best i can. Anything too technical and you will have to ask RedSeaKev :)

GregT

Looking forward to seeing your aquascaping David.

What did you dip your rocks in before transferring from your 130d please?

Cheers
Greg

David Shaw

David,
How far from the wall did you place yours???

It is about 8 inches from the back wall and about 16 inches from the wall on the left side where the R/O top up is. This gives me enough room to squeeze into it to top it up and also enough room to stand on the supplied stepladders to clean the left hand side and back wall.

David Shaw

I used Coral RX to dip the rock. It flushed out the worms, a crab and several other hitch-hikers. I then rinsed the rock before putting into the tank. Once the rock was in the tank with the new live sand, i added a generous amount of Dr Tims one and only.

David Shaw

David,

Really good to hear that it is noiseless and for now it's running without a chiller. That's excellent!

How is the skimmer working?

Greetings,
Ramon

Ramon, Skimmer is working just fine. I guess it is still breaking in but it is producing bubbles and foam and i am just reading the brochure to help find the optimum settings.

With the doors shut the tank runs nice and quiet to.

lethal

Has been struck by the ban stick
David, thanks for the updates. I was wondering what you think of the flow rate, difficult to judge I know, and whether you intend to add anything else like a Vortech? I was also wondering why you turn the 2 centre lights off when the other 8 are on. Is it just because it lights up the room too much?

David Shaw

David, thanks for the updates. I was wondering what you think of the flow rate, difficult to judge I know, and whether you intend to add anything else like a Vortech? I was also wondering why you turn the 2 centre lights off when the other 8 are on. Is it just because it lights up the room too much?

The flow is immense. There is absolutely no need for a Vortech. You get 3 circulation pumps plus the sump return flow which, all combined, really move the water around. I turn the centre off lights when i am at home in the day as it really lights the room up. Having 8 on is enough for me. So i go from moonlights to centre panel, then to front and back lights on then to centre panel in the evening and then back to moonlights. I really guess it depends on the size of your room and individual preference. Now i have tweaked everything the tank runs almost silently. I am just currently trying to find the sweet spot on the skimmer and then i am all done hopefully.