Dave's RSM 500

lethal

Has been struck by the ban stick
Cheers David, i'm guessing they can't be dimmed then. It would have been nice to be able to simulate sunrise/sunset.

David Shaw

Cheers David, i'm guessing they can't be dimmed then. It would have been nice to be able to simulate sunrise/sunset.

No they can't be dimmed. Thats why i do middle 2 lights on 1st then 15 mins later go to the front and back, then back to middle 2 lights in order to do the sunrise/sunset thing.

I read that the lights could have upgradable options in the future, so perhaps that's a feature that mat pop up further down the line. For me it is no big deal at all, i am loving the tank so far and think it's worth every penny.

Stody0

Hi David
Having seen the one in Oasis, I could not believe how quiet the weir is, the whole system is so quiet, that’s one of the pluses when I had to sell it to the "boss", she has always said that the 130 is not as quiet as she had wanted it to be. The weir was the biggest concern for me on the new S tanks, but I had no need to worry. They really do look like first class aquariums, Roll on 2012 !! lol

David Shaw

Hi David
Having seen the one in Oasis, I could not believe how quiet the weir is, the whole system is so quiet, that’s one of the pluses when I had to sell it to the "boss", she has always said that the 130 is not as quiet as she had wanted it to be. The weir was the biggest concern for me on the new S tanks, but I had no need to worry. They really do look like first class aquariums, Roll on 2012 !! lol

The weir is totally silent. When you get it you have to make all the adjustments to placing and adjusting the skimmer and main return pump in the sump to avoid it vibrating on the side of the glass etc. Once you nail those, mine is now running really quiet, practically silent, so much quieter than the 130D.

I copied the settings and placings of the one in Oasis and it's working a treat! It is also a really nice piece of "furniture", so your other half should give you permission to go ahead hopefully! Let me know if you decide to get one. I don;t want to be the only person on RS with one!

Stody0

Hi David,
Yes i thought the same about the tank, it is a nice piece of furniture, I will be getting one for sure. its going to be next year not sure what month but within the first half i would hope, it depends on building work i am having done. I was asking Kevin about a release date for the 650, I am thinking that if the 650 is available for the extra £500 i may as well go for that one. We shall see if its available. If not then i will be more than happy with the 500, I was so impressed with it, i had a good look over it, either way i will order it through Oasis, I have been going to those guys since 1988 when Trevor had his shop at the old fish market in Salford !!.

Looking forward to some new pics

Cheers

Al

David Shaw

I would have loved the 650 but my lounge is way too small to accommodate it, and also i would't be able to get it through the door!

I was initially tempted by the 400, but kinda figured it was best to go for the 500 so i wouldn't need to think about going for the 500 further down the line. For the extra £500 I opted for the 500, much like you with the 650.

If i had a big house i definitely would have gone that route, but the 500 is the right size for my lounge and fits perfectly :) No more upgrades for me.

David Shaw

I did Leigh ! However my room won't take a bigger tank, this is as big as it gets for me, it fits perfectly, any bigger would be too big. I sure ain't moving house just to get a bigger tank :) As i packed up and moved the 130D out, it sure did seem small by comparison. The length is about 2 x 130D's side by side.

The tank is settling in nicely, its now gone even quieter as the skimmer has bedded in. I am just finite tweaking the skimmer settings to get the right amount of water through it. I am down to millimetre tweaks now so nearly there. Not much gunk so far, but that is to be expected considering my light bio load and new water from setup.

All readings are now back to normal, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrate and 0 nitrites. Dr Tims sure did the trick in helping set up the new tank and avoiding a big cycle. It's come and gone with hardly a blimp.

Stody0

Hi David
I know what you mean when you say about a tank being too big for a room. At the moment the 650 would be too big for our lounge as we have a small wall that sticks out about 2 bricks thick, it was left in as its used as a supporting 'wall' for the upstairs but it is kind of dividing the room in two, this is part of the building work that’s going to take place, this small wall is coming out but they have to fit an RSJ first. Once that’s out and the radiator has been moved the floor will be strengthened and pipework put in for the outdoor chiller, sandbed filters and battery backup then the tank can go in as the living room will be about 35ft long with the wall out, but having said that I have not mentioned the 650 to the boss, don’t want to sink the boat before it’s out of the dry dock lol.

Thanks for putting the steps you have taken to set up your 500, I will be tapping this thread when I come to set mine up, some good info and tips mate.

Cheers

Al

David Shaw

Your most welcome Al.

I guess it will be the same setup procedure just with a bigger tank. With your building work, it sounds like you can definitely accommodate the 650, and for 500 quid more, seems sensible to go for the biggest as your room will take it. PErhaps you should take your other half to see the 500 in Oasis and then secretly order the 650 :)

I now have my tank running silently and am loving it. It fits right in and is the perfect size for my room, so glad i went for the 500.

The tank seems to be less maintenance than to 130D as it auto tops up and once all the levels are set it means no more daily checking and adjustment of the skimmer gate in to keep the water at the right levels.

I cleaned it today and as there is more room to manoeuvre it actually made it quicker to clean. Also no need to mess around with the media rack as the bags of media just get dropped into the sump so a couple of minuted of a job to clean and replace.

Keep us posted with ordering news!

David Shaw

Some more pics as promised. Apologies for the poor quality (phone camera).

IMG_0041-1.jpg

IMG_0041-1.jpg

IMG_0053.jpg

IMG_0059-2.jpg

Funlad3

Has been struck by the ban stick
Time out. You have all of that lighting and you put the LEATHERS at the top? Did you bump you're head when you set up the tank?

Everything looks great though! :D