Dave's RSM 500

LFS said they would hopefully have thiers in by end of month................I see a purchase in my future. need to sell off some stuff.

Used rsm 250 for sale
rc helicopter for sale
rc airplanes for sale

Wife and kids (oh just kidding)

David Shaw

Sorry everyone, i haven't logged on for a couple of days for obvious reasons and was great to see so many postings left!

It's now 1am on day 2 of assembly and setup, and i have now finished!

I recruited 2 friends to help and we spent all day and evening on Friday unpacking and assembling and by 10pm we managed to fill it with water. To say my small house ended up in chaos is an understatement. Wall to wall equipment, boxes, water blah blah. Today i bought some additional rock as i grossly underestimated how much it would take, and transferred all the live rock from the 130D along with all the new ones. Spent all afternoon and evening aqua-scaping and tweaking everything.

I took a few pics of us assembling the tank, and i will take pics of the finished tank when i get a second - just too tired at the moment to take more pics, sorry! I will upload the ones of the assembly as soon as i get a sec.

Well my socks are now drying out and it's feet up knowing it's all sorted.
Its been 2 x 14 hour full days and i am now beat! The tank really is amazing, it does have to be seen to be believed. It looks fantastic now it's set up, but is taking some getting used to, as it's a big tank, stands almost 6 feet tall, and i am used to seeing my small 130D in it's place.

Kevin from Red Sea allowed me to call him out of office hours, and helped talk me through a couple of head scratching questions - Thanks Kevin, it was really appreciated. 1st class customer care.

Thanks everyone for taking such an interest in my thread. More to follow soon!....

steved13

PREMIUM
Great to hear David!!!

Congrats on a job well done. Looking forward to the pics...when you get a chance...I hope you get some well deserved rest.

Funlad3

Has been struck by the ban stick
as it's a big tank, stands almost 6 feet tall, and i am used to seeing my small 130D in it's place.

Is 6' tall a good thing? I built my stand to be high, and I don't know what to expect... :)

Sleep tight, and sleep little. We want pictures!

Heli Dave

Well done David, the White 500 in Oasis looks great so you must be feeling good now yours is in place. Should be ordering a White 500 before Christmas.

David Shaw

Well i have spent the whole day tinkering to get things tweaked just right. It's a lot to take in but it really is an amazing tank. Once i become familiar with it i am sure i can pass on more detailed info. I have now noticed that there was a slight vibrational drone coming from inside the tank cabinet that could be heard when the doors were closed, so after lots of tinkering i shifted the sitting position of the skimmer and the main tank pump slightly, then then it cleared up, it is now running quietly.

The auto top off baffles me at the moment, so i will have to see how things unfold. I spent al day getting the levels of water right in the various sections, so i am sure one the level is set then the auto top up just does it's thing.

There are 10 main lights, and the centre light panel can be used independently of the front and rear panels. So far I have mine to come on as follows, but things might change as i get used to the setup...

Moonlights on from 10pm overnight and morning
Centre panel comes on 1st for an hour, this shuts of the moonlights and then uses 1 blue and 1 white light
Mid afternoon the side panels come one adding a further 4 blue and 4 whites
As it gets dark then the front and rear panels switch off and i am back to the centre panel. For me having all the lights on at night is too bright for an evening.
Then at 10pm, the centre panel switches off and i am left with just the moonlights

Here are some assembly pictures as promised.

This was taken as we unpacked the crate and brought everything inside the house.

IMG_0006-5.jpg

Unpacking the boxes

IMG_0004-5.jpg

The tank itself

IMG_0005-5.jpg

Figuring out that goes where

IMG_0008-4.jpg

IMG_0009-4.jpg

IMG_0010-4.jpg

IMG_0018-2.jpg

IMG_0013-2.jpg

IMG_0014-4.jpg

Water arrived from the LFS

IMG_0015-3.jpg

Frame assembled now time to put the tank onto it

IMG_0012-3.jpg

IMG_0016-4.jpg

IMG_0017-4.jpg

IMG_0019-2.jpg

IMG_0022-2.jpg

David Shaw

More pics to follow, including equipment etc when get time. Just wanted to get these posted as promised.

At the moment the tank looks huge in comparison to my 103D, so it is taking some getting used to as it is such a leap in size to upgrade from. With so much water and so little fish stock this should mean that there is hopefully no need at present to do big weekly water changes, so i will be guided by the test results and supplement and water change accordingly.

The tank also comes with some great little stepladders so you can get into the tank from above. I have left enough room on the left hand side to squeeze into for maintenance and to top up with fresh water, and enough at the back for access.

One thing i did do, was to get a sheet of plywood, cut to size, to help distribute the weight. This is the exact footprint of the frame so isn't visible once the side panels are put on. The tank doesn't come with a heater, so my LFS, who have been terrific gave me one and this now sits in the sump and is controlled by the power centre using one of my 3 pin to 2 pin UK adapters that i had in the 130D.