Changes/Solution to RSM and homepage

ReefLady

Staff member
Hi everyone!:hallo:

Many of you have noticed/taken part in some discussions that essentially have RS divided on the issue of how to handle our extremely successful RSM club, with both sides frustrated.

What it comes down to, is that RSM club members came to our sanctuary seeking refuge, wanting a place to discuss their interests without harrassment/issues. As this was in the spirit of RS, we welcomed them with open arms.

The club has been successful enough that some members feel we're leaning more toward an RSM specialty site than a general reefing site.

Attempts to categorize discussions the normal way have increased these frustrations, but our moderators were doing their best to keep RS moving forward in its intended direction.

I have discussed the issue with staff members as well as Reefmack, who was integral in setting up and leading the RSM club here.

All that background leads to this...

On the homepage, I will be removing threads from the RSM forum in the "latest threads" box. This accomplishes a couple of things: It removes any confusion that we're a general reefing site. It removes ambiguity/confusion if there are multiple discussions going on. And it allows me to instruct our staff to give the RSM club MUCH more leeway in what is posted there... basically, if you want RSM-exclusive discussions or photo threads or anything else, I (and out staff) will have absolutely no issue with it.

Before anyone from the RSM club feels slighted... I'm going to create a custom home page for RSM members that includes the RSM threads. So those of you who want the full view can still have it, just at a different URL. I will also work with you to help customize this "alternate home page" so that it becomes a portal customized to RSM club's tastes (where time and technology allow me, anyway. ;) ).

I've put quite a bit of thought into this solution and have worked with RSM members and our staff to make sure everyone can be satisfied with the approach. However, I know we can never make everyone happy. If you're unhappy with this, please feel free to speak up. And also if you like it, please do! LOL.

If this solution doesn't work out long-term, we can always go back. But I think you'll find it solves our frustrations, on both sides, rather elegantly.

I'll have more info as I implement things.

Travis

Frankie

RS STAFF
Will there be a link for this in the "other stuff" box on the left of the home page for easy access like the "Off topic Forum" ?

redsea reefer

So, if we RSM'ers are on the RSM.ReefSanctuary site, Non-RSM owners would have to go to the new site if they want to respond to a thread or question?

IMHO, I really do not like this new set-up because it is in a way segregation but I am not the boss around here. I liked it the way it is. I am more than willing to help out a RSM owner or not whenever I can.

ReefLady

Staff member
No it's still the same site/ forum same everything just a different front door if you will.

T

redsea reefer

If none of the RSM club threads are in the original home page latest threads box, then they would have to go the new RSM home page or would have to click on forums and go down to the RSM owners club sub-forum right?

Maybe a button to include rsm threads on the original homepage?

Clownfish518

Razorback
PREMIUM
Are we one site, or two? This sounds like we are two - that we want to limit interaction between the two groups. I don't get it

StevieT

RS Sponsor
We got pushed off the front page as to not offend anyone with a BioCube or a whatever else tank.

You can access a front page like view by going to this new "homepage" There you will find only RSM topics.

IMO if you base your site or forum experience off the front page you are limiting yourself to only 1% of a forum experience/information.

Many forums do not even have front pages. I prefer to experience those that do have a front pages as they are much more organized and easier to track recent topics that may be posted in many different segregated areas. This way you can hold down a conversion in a short amount of time with a member that needs help.

Let's try it out. Dibs on telling RSM n00bs to take the bioballs out

sambrinar

I wouldn't say "you got pushed off the front page"

I like it, the front page was getting inundated with RSM topics, not that it was bad, but more like repetitious questions and answers.. I noticed that the RSM owners reposted questions etc rather than venturing into the forum, this way maybe it will be more "directed" for them

Thank you Travis, I hope it works out

Sapphire

I'm certainly interested to see how it works, and as I have said elsewhere certainly thank Travis and all others involved for all their efforts in attempting to resolve the issues that are occurring.

However I would say that repetitious questions posted by people without 'venturing into the forum' to see if it's already been answered elsewhere is certainly not limited to the RSM section...... perhaps it's just more obvious amongst the RSM threads as the area is very active?

I also do hope it doesn't become any more of a "them" and "us" situation.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
I'm all for it - thank you Travis, seems like a Win/Win to me :)

I never really used the home page much anyway... I found RS Googling Red Sea Max

I always start at http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/red-sea-max-owners-club/

read up / catch up on RSM post ... then click the Forums link

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/

then visit... the other... Main Forums...

Lots of ways to navigate - and I think we will all quickly learn new ways & everyone looking for the RSM Club Post will find them... seems like a great Win/Win to me & allows us all to continue to be one big happy family !!! :hug1:

I also think this change will cause the RSM Club Forum to grow more than ever & everyone will Love it !!!

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Thanks again Travis! My 2 cents on this - I think it's a great solution. I had to spend a few minutes to see what the differences are. It's a pretty seamless change, and still affords RSM owners easy access to all of Reef Sanctuary, and vice versa. RSM owners can enter the forum the way we always have, or use the new "door" URL link that Travis has created. I don't feel segregated in the least. The biggest change here is that when someone comes to the site it won't at first glance look like this is an RSM specific forum, which it often has, due to the number of RSM new posts. Reef Sanctuary is after all a general reef forum, and should have the appearance of one. As Glenn said - there are lots of ways to navigate around the site, and new RSM owners should still have no problem finding us. IMO it is a win-win solution for all of Reef Sanctuary, and has benefits for all of us!

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Very good "change".

As Terry said (and very well I may add) it wont change any navigation for anyone. It merely changes the "look" to someone just coming here for the first time. We truly appreciate each and every one of our members and the RSM group has become the most active and quickest growing part of our family. That's a double edged sword in itself for the above mentioned reasons. Look at it as a compliment to your group instead of anything else because really it's almost like a badge of accomplishment that you have so many like-minded individuals working and learning together under one roof. That speaks VOLUMES for you all.

A.

Clownfish518

Razorback
PREMIUM
It's funny. Last night I was sitting with my nieces and nephews and was discussing Mensa and how I passed the test some years ago, and declined the invitation to join.

I told them that I was curious whether I could pass the test, but would not feel comfortable belong to any organization that was exclusive. That's what this smacks of. I want to be part of a community where everyone belongs, and if this community is no longer that kind, I really question my continued participation.

What is troubling is the lack of interaction with everyone on this, the lack of respect for our opinions and feelings that implies. It is given to us as fait accompli.

Oh well.

sambrinar

However I would say that repetitious questions posted by people without 'venturing into the forum' to see if it's already been answered elsewhere is certainly not limited to the RSM section...... perhaps it's just more obvious amongst the RSM threads as the area is very active?

You are absolutely correct on both accounts!

Last edited by a moderator:

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
CF I have to say What?

What part of this is touting "exclusivity" ?

Lack of respect? It's out of respect that this change was made.

and fait accompli? How can you say that. It was discussed in great detail on multiple threads over the course of a couple of days. As of this morning most people who were "active" in the discussion seemed to be very pleased with the slight changes that were made. I have no doubt that there will be some who aren't happy but I am confident in time all will be satisfied with the ever so slight modifications.

With all due respect I'm totally lost here buddy. :dunno:

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Yes I have to agree with Brenda to agree with Emma. That's pretty much how most forums work but maybe because of the popularity of the RSM's it's just more apparent.

Clownfish518

Razorback
PREMIUM
The way it looks to me, we are creating two communities. one for RSM users, one for the rest. Thats how I read this - so that "we" won't have to see "their" posts, and if we want to, we have to navigate (on screens I never use) over to the other site.

As if we don't want anything to do with them - what else is this about?