Changes/Solution to RSM and homepage

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I'm hopeful my PM will make sense of it.

Please understand "Them/They/RSM" are very much a part of the whole RS family and they are not being "cast aside" or denied anything. This small change is to help RS as a whole to continue to be a REEFING community and if there happens to be a "group" within the community that's great too.

ReefLady

Staff member
The way it looks to me, we are creating two communities. one for RSM users, one for the rest. Thats how I read this - so that "we" won't have to see "their" posts, and if we want to, we have to navigate (on screens I never use) over to the other site.

As if we don't want anything to do with them - what else is this about?

I disagree.

It's to
1) protect the general nature of the site as a general reefing forum
2) allow the staff to give leeway to "RSM-Only" threads without RSM members feeling harrassed or "persecuted."

As for "fait accompli", I can't put everything I do up to a vote. It would be disastrous. But I did run my ideas past Reefmack to make sure your group was represented.

Sorry you don't like the change, but I hope you'll give it a chance and see the positive effects it will have.

I really am doing my best. If you have a better idea, please by all means speak up.

T

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Clownfish - I don't feel "cast aside" nor do I feel like I'm considered part of an "exclusive" group. The changes were actually very minor and just affect the "new posts' views. If a person wants to see RSM posts they just do what they always did - go into the RSM club subforum and the new posts are in bold as they always were. To be honest, I like being able to go to "new posts" and NOT see the RSM posts that I've already read showing up. It actually makes it much easier for me to now see new non-RSM posts that I may be interested in. IMO it's a change for the better for all of Reef Sanctuary.

sambrinar

Clownfish - I don't feel "cast aside" nor do I feel like I'm considered part of an "exclusive" group. The changes were actually very minor and just affect the "new posts' views. If a person wants to see RSM posts they just do what they always did - go into the RSM club subforum and the new posts are in bold as they always were. To be honest, I like being able to go to "new posts" and NOT see the RSM posts that I've already read showing up. It actually makes it much easier for me to now see new non-RSM posts that I may be interested in. IMO it's a change for the better for all of Reef Sanctuary.

That is the difference in positive perception and negative perception.. If I was part of this club, I would feel like Reefmack.. very well put!!

I do have one question, although I am not an RSM owner... is there a link somewhere to get to the RSM subforum? Or do you have to put in a different addy

And btw last I looked the RSM threads are still in the new post section, just not on the home page, correct??

Blurp

Truly, my RS homepage setup makes little difference. I usually surf around the whole RS, and then go to RSM club. I can understand that the club is most useful when talking about mods and equipment working/addition.

I'm an active member in several sw sites, and most times these kind of polemics (usually off-topic deviations) tend to die in a little time, I hope it will happen just the same with this one for everyone's sake...

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I'm an active member in several sw sites, and most times these kind of polemics (usually off-topic deviations) tend to die in a little time, I hope it will happen just the same with this one for everyone's sake...

Very well spoken and oh so true! This isn't the first time we've seen it here and I'm sure it wont be the last. One thing is that I think we learn something from each time and the next time gets easier.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
sambrinar - "And btw last I looked the RSM threads are still in the new post section, just not on the home page, correct??" Correct - I was wrong on that and have asked Travis if it's only on the "Home" view that RSM posts no longer show. I think I was incorrect on them also not showing up in the New Posts view while in the Forums view.

ReefLady

Staff member
Correct - if you click "new posts" from the upper navigation anywhere in RS, you WILL get RSM posts. This only applies to the set of posts/threads featured on the home page itself.

Sorry for any confusion.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Clownfish I know your don't have a rsm, but do post in the rsm club from from time to time & I always have enjoyed your post!

Give it a try ... I think it's better than ever now & it's still very easy for anyone to navigate to and see the rsm post, there are several really easy ways...

and I hope you will continue to visit & offer your input in the rsm forum - you always have valued input to offer imo :)

Sapphire

As has been siaid - it really isn't a big change (to be honest I would barely ever go to the actual homepage). I tend to use forum homepage and that's the same as ever so I don't think it'll be any harder to find RSM new posts.

Clownfish518

Razorback
PREMIUM
As has been siaid - it really isn't a big change (to be honest I would barely ever go to the actual homepage). I tend to use forum homepage and that's the same as ever so I don't think it'll be any harder to find RSM new posts.

To me its a big change. I don't ever go to the forums page, and so will miss everyone's tank journals. C'est la vie

swissgaurd

good stuff travis i likes your idea.
i always try and recruit new peoples to this site, but lately people that i recomended say this is a rsm site.

vic

sambrinar

To me its a big change. I don't ever go to the forums page, and so will miss everyone's tank journals. C'est la vie

Hold on a sec.. Clownfish.. you mean to say that you only look at the home page? If that's the case you are already limiting yourself..

don't you go to the "new posts" section?? this change is only on the home page, they still appear on the new posts section

Thanks for the clarification Al :D

Dweezil

Clownfish ~ I added you as a buddy so you will not be able to get away from me that easily! hehehe