BigAl's slow chronicle . . .

Frankie

RS STAFF
Looks great Al! I will be keeping an eye on this thread for sure. :)
I would also go with the 2x250w. I have 2x175w now and am having to upgrade.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Yeah, I never understood why aquarium manufacturers make the stands as short as they do. When my wife and I were shopping, that was our biggest complaint. Reef tanks are a work of art and should be viewed at eye level. Even with my 90 Oceanic tank you have to bend over to get a good look. We need to rally for higher stands!

That's my thoughts exactly. I have looked and looked at stands and none seemed to be very "eye height friendly" so I set out to measure different stands. None I could find were tall enough to get the right viewing angle. So we measured the wall where it's going, figured where the top of the tank should be for optimum viewing, subtracted the height and came up with a stand height much taller than any other. They normally range from 24" - 33" tall but this stand is 40" tall which should be about right. I also didn't want to make it so tall that it's odd looking for those of us who aren't 6'4" tall. Didn't want my wife (5'3" ) to be looking directly at the bottom of the live rock :lol:I can't wait to see it come together. I'm excited and a little nervous. Since it's custom and I had a LARGE amount of "input" that leaves a LOT of room for errors :lol: I'm rallying for a taller stand by having it custom built.

Looks great Al! I will be keeping an eye on this thread for sure. :)
I would also go with the 2x250w. I have 2x175w now and am having to upgrade.
I was afraid of that myself. I figured why skimp on it now. It's only $120 to go 250's and I would always be thinking "What if I HAD gone 250's instead of 150's?" Now I don't have to worry about that. Just about heat and I should be able to manage that easily as well. If I need a chiller so be it but I am hoping I can manage without a chiller and possibly use small fans in the canopy area. Time will tell.

thanks for tagging along and ALL of your input. It's GREATLY appreciated.

Allen :)

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Glass cages called today and they are coming through a day earlier than expected which SHOULD be a good thing but it's NOT! They were supposed to come through on Saturday ( I don't work any weekends) but now it's Friday morning at 10:30am. Now I have to borrow a truck a friend and miss work. Grrrrrrrrr

Allen

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
It's all for a good cause! Tell your employer that you have the marine bug and are unable to come to work as it may infect others.:lol:

Frankie

RS STAFF
LOL good one Scott i will remember that one when i have to justify why i can't go in one day. ( being self employed it will be easy to convince the boss :) )

cioutlaw

Looks like a great start Al! Stand is looking nice. GC was within 15min. being on time for me, sucks they are coming a day earlier & screwed up your schedule.

bluespotjawfish

I can't believe I just discovered your thread! Looks like you are having some fun! I think you will be happy with the 250s! I bought 175s and took them back! Fortunately I got them from someone who was willing to let me do that. I need to run several fans to keep the temp down, two inside the canopy and a larger one on top of it.

With the taller stand, I assume you already have a step stool ready to help with maintenance. :lol: :lol:

:wave:

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I can't believe I just discovered your thread! Looks like you are having some fun! I think you will be happy with the 250s! I bought 175s and took them back! Fortunately I got them from someone who was willing to let me do that. I need to run several fans to keep the temp down, two inside the canopy and a larger one on top of it.

With the taller stand, I assume you already have a step stool ready to help with maintenance. :lol: :lol:

:wave:

yeah I figured I'd regret not adding the minimal amount of extra $$ and getting the dual 250's. Wish they came in 400's but that might be overkill for this tank.

I've already thought about fans and actually think I have some fan units in mind that I can get to work fairly easily. Good news is I can have my AC Jr. control them fairly easily.

maintenance> What's that? :LOL: To be honest I was looking at this very handy step-stool ladder yesterday here in our store that's just right and it folds to less than 3" thick for storage. I may put that on my account later today so it doesn't get gone. It's ironic you said that because honestly a step-stool/ladder was NOT added to my "tank budget spreadsheet".

bluespotjawfish

I don't think that should count against the budget. I think you need it for something else around the house (cleaning windows, getting food out of the top cabinets). I'm sure you can find something to justify the purchase besides the tank.

With my new canopy I have put my stool away. Don't need it at all since my canopy now opens from the front and I am 5'11"! My stand is 34" tall, and if it were 6 more inches I'd need my stool again.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
My canopy is supposed to open from the front as well but since it's now MADE yet I can't say for sure.

You are a tall lady... and my being a tad over 6"4" helps but I'd better get that folding ladder just in case. Would hate to need it and have to run down to the store in the middle of the night.

kathywithbirds

This'll be nice. I also had an issue with stand height which is why I got the all-glass with stand that I got, the sand seemed a couple inches higher than average... it's a 37 cube. And I'm 5'1!!

Al, did you mention what color the cabinetry will be? Looks really nice!!

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
kathywithbirds I didn't mention but it's going to be a MinWax color called something similar to Jocabean which is a deep dark color with a hint of red to it. Not like Mahogany but a hint of cherry maybe. The reason for that particular stain is it matches our new bed room suite perfectly which is where this tank and stand will be in the new house once it's built (a few years down the road). I can't wait to see it all installed. The cabinet guy is out of town for a long weekend so MAYBE next week I'll get to see the stand more complete.

I just got back from meeting the dilivery truck from Glass Cages and I have to say upon initial inspection the tanks look great. I didn't totally unwrap them but looked for obvious things like cracks and solid seams. Man that tank was MUCH more heavy than I had thought it would be. They said it would come out around 150lbs but it felt VERY heavy when we were carrying it up the steps and across the deck into the house. I can't wait to get it up and running. I just thought I was anxious before.....

Allen

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Ok got it home.... It's not cleaned up by any means but I wanted to post a pic to get the "chronical" started and accurate.

Attachments

• IMG_2896_Shrnk.JPG
    IMG_2896_Shrnk.JPG
    30.1 KB · Views: 601

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Ok it's time to start making some decisions here...

What's the thought on which pump I should get for return to the tank? It's a 90g tank with a 29g sump/fuge in the cabinet. I plan to get a couple of Koralia's for in the tank (not decided on which sizes yet) but I don't know what I need to do in regards to a return pump.

Ideas? Suggestions? Links? Donations?